Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196

Hi I have been scammed out for 1150 by this guy he said the same to me as he did you could we have a private chat about this as I’m going to the police and I need as many people to come forward thank you.

beth Davis. 

Tejaswi1
Level 1
Stuttgart, Germany

It's unbelievable. So many comments. Just now got saved from this scam. I did not understand when she asked if I had money ready to be paid. She even removed the ad from website as soon as I mailed her. Thanks for the post.

We almost got scammed but it was pretty obvious it's a scam

Avoid name Michael Darbena

email: michaeldarbena77@hotmail.com

address: Pirckheimerstraße 111, Nuremberg

The scam ad was found on Ebay-Kleinanzeigen

Same scheme: I'm not in Germany, my daughter used to live in this apartment, send me payment and Airbnb agent will send you the keys

Hi I'm slightly worried about someone who has contacted me 

i found the ad on zoopla on the market and Rightmove and emailed regarding more information 

the emails are as follows 

Hi. Here you can see more pictures of the apartment https://imgur.com/a/S7gpFwS
It will be available from 14 of December.
Please let me know starting when and for how long are you interested to rent the apartment. Also for how many people?
It's a 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms flat and comes fully furnished and with all the necessary amenities, exactly as you can see in the pictures, with dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, tv and internet. The monthly price is 800 GBP for the whole flat including all the utility bills. The pets are accepted.
I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, life style, etc)?
I'm working offshore as a civil engineer so I rent the apartment through Airbnb because they will handle the entire rental process on my behalf. Airbnb will handle the visit/check-in once the flat is blocked through them, the signature of the physical rental contact and the keys handing. There will be no service fees for you.
Also I prefer them because of the lower fees they will charge me, I'm a "Superhost" on Airbnb.
Before the check-in/visit in order to block the apartment you'll have to deposit one monthly rent, 800 GBP, plus two months as security deposit, 1600 GBP, through Airbnb. So will be a total of 2400 GBP to be paid.
Starting with the second month you'll have to pay monthly.
The security deposit will be returned to you at the end of the contract if the apartment will have no damages.
If you are interested please let me know and I'll send you the sept by step procedure.
Thank you

Once the flat is blocked and paid through Airbnb you can visit it.
Here you have a video presentation of the apartment
https://youtu.be/p2PayVX9GWk
This is not a real estate, that's how the Airbnb process works, it is the ONLY way.
Let me know as soon as possible if you are interested because there are more interested peoples waiting to rent it...

OK, in order to have this rental process started I need the following info about you:

- Full name
- Actual address
- Email address
- WhatsApp/phone number
- A picture of your ID/passport

Here you have a picture my ID too  https://imgur.com/a/La7DTWG
Once I get the requested info I'll send you the Airbnb link to book the flat.
I'll be waiting for your response as soon as possible.

here is the Airbnb link where you can book the apartment:
Please proceed with the booking as soon as possible before someone else will do it. Thanks

Your reservation link is available 24 more hours so you must complete the booking and pay the deposit within this period in order to secure the flat.
After you'll complete the process with Airbnb, and paid the deposit to the Airbnb manager's account that Airbnb will provide you in file with your invoice, they will organize a visit to the property.
After the visit you will have 3 days to decide if you want to rent it or not. If you'll like the apartment, then you have to sign the rental contract and I'll receive the payment.
Otherwise they will refund your deposit in full.
This is not a real estate, that's how the Airbnb process works, it is the ONLY way.
Please let me know as soon as possible if you want to complete the booking because there are more interested peoples waiting to rent it...

after i told him we were becoming sceptical the link no longer worked also the location is within a university 
i haven’t sent any money or personal info but wondering how to report it 

@Jasmine254 

It's a scam, as you can see from the numerous posts on this topic how the modus operandi goes.

Airbnb is only mentioned as a red herring to add cred to the spiel. The url is fake.

Damiano50
Level 1
Padua, Italy

Thank you for posting this, I received the same email.

Please avoid name 'Fabio Terran'

Email: lycamob2008@gmail.com

Hi! 

The same  scam is still going on,beware of Thomas Webster in Holland,if you are looking for apartment.he doesnt exist,

I have got scam the same way looking for apartment in Almere.

Carl5261
Level 1
Bishopsteignton, United Kingdom

Earlier today I saw a property on Gumtree in Plymouth and went through all of this with someone named 'Spencer Philip'.

The ad however was posted by 'Frank' and before I paid anything I noticed Frank had posted several properties across the UK for the same price at the same hour.

They used an Airbnb link and told me to process it through there however Airbnb have all my details from previous bookings and wouldn't need to send an invoice for payment.

Within the invoice which was sent to me  it said the money was going to a 'Cosmin Dimian' with his bank details, who I have since found on LinkedIn. When I mentioned Cosmin Dimian to the guy portraying himself as 'Spencer Philip' and sent him a screenshot of the LinkedIn account he panicked and blocked me.

Has anyone else seen the name 'Cosmin Dimian' on the invoice sent through from the fake Airbnb account?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The link wouldn't have been to airbnb it would have been to a false website. They change names regularly on these scams.

Please report this on gumtree and to airbnb. @Carl5261 

Karan60
Level 1
Ashfield, Australia

The exact same thing just happened to me! This time a woman from Belgium. 

Received two mails from this person: 

"

I received your contact for my apartment situated at 45 Shelley Street, Sydney, NSW 2000. My name is Marie Trimboli, i'm the owner of the apartment and I'm from Belgium. I bought this apartment for my daughter during he's studies, but now she is back home in Belgium permanently.

The apartment is available for rent in good condition, fully furnished and well equipped like in the photos. It is available immediately and for unlimited time.

The monthly rent is AU$ 1600 for whole apartment.
I want in advance the payment for one month of rent plus the bond of AU$ 1600 ( I request this bond because everything in the apartment is new and i want to be good kept..hope you understand ), in total AU$ 3200 .
I'm recently employee on cruise ship and I will be gone for three months and can't come to show you the apartment. Before this job I rented my apartment on Aribnb for short periods but now I don't have time to take care of it and that's why I want to rent it for a long period.
The entire rental process will continue to be managed by Airbnb so they will take care of the inspection and payment. They help me because in the past I use Airbnb to rent my apartment for short periods for all most 1 year and never had problems. I will pay the fees so you won't have any extra costs ( no agency fees ).
If you are interested please contact me via Whatsapp with the message "Sydney" on my personal phone number +32460216886
Thank you and I'll wait your answer."

"

I received your contact for my apartment situated at 45 Shelley Street, Sydney, NSW 2000. My name is Marie Trimboli, i'm the owner of the apartment and I'm from Belgium. I bought this apartment for my daughter during he's studies, but now she is back home in Belgium permanently.

The apartment is available for rent in good condition, fully furnished and well equipped like in the photos. It is available immediately and for unlimited time.

The monthly rent is AU$ 1600 for whole apartment.
I want in advance the payment for one month of rent plus the bond of AU$ 1600 ( I request this bond because everything in the apartment is new and i want to be good kept..hope you understand ), in total AU$ 3200 .
I'm recently employee on cruise ship and I will be gone for three months and can't come to show you the apartment. Before this job I rented my apartment on Aribnb for short periods but now I don't have time to take care of it and that's why I want to rent it for a long period.
The entire rental process will continue to be managed by Airbnb so they will take care of the inspection and payment. They help me because in the past I use Airbnb to rent my apartment for short periods for all most 1 year and never had problems. I will pay the fees so you won't have any extra costs ( no agency fees ).
If you are interested please contact me via Whatsapp with the message "Sydney" on my personal phone number +32460216886
Thank you and I'll wait your answer."

Wow thank you so much for this post about Marie Tromboli. This person sent my sister the same message about a property in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Don't trust this person!

Thank you so much for this post it was really helpful. received a similar email from A Jocelyn M Trimboli. Same story but about an apartment in Düsseldorf.

The scam mail from Jocelyn M Trimboli!!!

Hello again,

I bought this apartment for my daughter during he's studies, but now she is back home in Belgium permanently.
The monthly rent is €420 for whole apartment.
I want in advance the payment for one month of rent plus the security deposit of €840 ( I request this bond because everything in the apartment is new and i want to be good kept..hope you understand ), in total €1260.
Before I rented my apartment on Airbnb for short periods but now I don't have time to take care of it and that's why I want to rent it for a long period.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.

I felt in her trick , I ve called the police . Did someone made a lawsuit against her?

Can someone help me?

Anaita0
Level 2
Nanterre, FR

Hello!

So I almost got scammed like many people here and thank god for this thread!

I found a listing on another website and after a few text messages exchanged, pretty much same story... asked to do it through airbnb, was a bit skeptical but still went for it. Received the 'Airbnb' emails this morning and as I thought it was too good to be true I did some research and found all this!! 

The thing is, I didn't send any money but I was one of the stupid people that still send my proof of ID, proof of address and selfie... T_T I saw a post here where the person still gets messages to this day from people asking her if it's really her because the scammers are using her identity. 

Is there any way I can avoid this? I don't see how me telling the police or something will prevent them to do that? 😞 

Please help!

AND DON'T ANSWER TO ELIZABETH DOS SANTOS.