Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196

@Iris483 Assuming you were in Italy when you booked then I would report to the Italian police. The worst that can happen is they say they can't help you .

@Iris483  The host isn't in Germany (and they aren't a host). Everything these scammers tell you is false. They could be in Russia, or South Africa. Their names are false, their ID is false, the entire story they tell you is false, and the place they are supposedly renting isn't where they say it is, and doesn't belong to them- they get the photos off real estate ads other sites.

You are completely right, they probably used the identification of their previous victims. And I reported the issue to the Portuguese Police, they are highly unlikely to do anything about it. Do you know anywhere else i can report this rental scam?. They also got a copy of my Passport.. great..

Naemi3
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Heyy guys, i need your help or advic!

got scammed from an apparently spanish woman renting an apartment in Lisbon.

Seemed friendly first and sent ID, how did you guys process your personal data and ID copy?  Any experience what happened ?

Hope really they don't use my name to scam other poor people..

There HAS to be a way to get these people!!! unbelievable !!!

Hello there,

I am very sorry for my late reply, but I had some personal problems.
My name is Henry Mikael, 37 years old and I'm looking to rent my beautiful apartment.  
I am sorry for this late reply. I work all day because I am involved in a large project for One Short Street Hotel in Donaghadee / Northern Ireland and I am getting tired at home and forget to check the mail. The apartment will be available from 3rd November, quiet, has all the facilities and aids: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed internet, pets are allowed. The apartment is available indefinitely so you can stay as long as you want. It is close to public transportation, schools, cafes, gyms, and other facilities.
The monthly rent is CAD 900.00. Also important are the additional costs (water, electricity, internet, digital television) that are included in the price.
The apartment is equipped with all the necessary equipment and devices. The property can also be rented unfurnished. In this case, I arrange the furniture for collection and storage.
Thank you for your interest and look forward to future cooperation and friendship.

114 George St, Toronto, ON M5A 2N4 | 2 rooms apartment | 60.00 m² | CAD 900.00 |  
Respectfully yours, 
Henry Mikael

You can rent my apartment for an unlimited period. The price per month is CA$ 900.00 including (gas, water, internet, electricity, TV, garage). I work on a big project in Donaghadee / Northern Ireland. We do have a solution for this inconvenience so you can move in as soon as possible. I do not have the time to meet every potential renter, so I choose to use Airbnb. I use Airbnb service only at the beginning, to find a tenant.  
To visit and rent the apartment I will use Airbnb, Inc. provides an online platform that connects hosts who have accommodations to rent with guests seeking to rent such accommodations.
Airbnb Company will require confirmation which is first 2 months + a security deposit of CA$ 900.00 - is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). After these first 2 months you will send the rent monthly directly to my personal bank account.
You have to book the first 2 months from their website and from the moment your booking is confirmed, the Airbnb representative will contact you about viewing and you can move in straight away.
First you have to book it and one of their representatives will contact you to arrange the appointment. The meeting will take place in the apartment and he will give you the keys and sign a contract for the period wanted by you (we will make a fixed lease on Canadian law between us minimum 2 months up to 10 years).
I would like to know how many persons you intend to share the apartment with, and for how long.
Any other details about yourself would be appreciated. I'm looking to rent the apartment to someone who will take care of it as his own.
I've invested a lot in this apartment and I'm sure you'll love it.

So I guess this is it for now, I hope I didn't forget anything.
Respectfully yours,

Thank you so much for all the info. Looks like we found the perfect tenants. Let me explain to you how it works. In order to view the flat you have to submit through airbnb first 2 months rent and security deposit. You have to pay directly to them, not to me. Only after your deposit is registered in their escrow bank account in max 48 hours an agent from airbnb will contact you to establish a meeting place with the keys and the documents. You have 2 days to inspect the flat and make a decision, If you don't like the flat you will receive all your money back from airbnb in 24 hours. If you like the flat then you will sign the contract, they will release the payment to me and you will be able to move in the next 24 hours or at your convenience.
The agent will arrange the visit and if you decide to rent the flat, you must sign the contract of rent during the period wanted by you ( we will make a fixed rent contract regarding Canadian law between us ).

For the first 2 months you will have nothing else to pay, because once you decide to move in the flat, Airbnb will transfer the money to my bank account. Starting the 3rd month, you will pay the monthly rent in my personal account.
I'm pretty sure that you will love the flat, but if not, you still have the option to cancel and get your money back from the Airbnb Guests Protection, immediately.
In this way, both are safe.

In order to reserve the flat, I need the following information (complete name of the future tenant; direct telephone number;). Also I need a copy of your ID or passport to complete all the necessary papers for you as a future tenant. After that I will list the flat on Airbnb and I will send you the link so you can book it .

P.S. Please bear in mind that this is a payment authorization and not a payment, which means, you will not pay for anything at this stage. Your proof deposit is for their insurance because their biggest concern is that they need to be sure you are really interested in renting the place and to show that you are ready, willing, and able to pay for the rent.

Looking forward for your answer,
Best regards,

Be aware

@Aleksandr235

This is definitely a scam but the passport/ID is most likely a stolen one. The passport owner is from Finland. If you have read this thread you will see people who fell for the scam - uploaded passport/ID to the scammers. This ID is most certainly fake - and you are now spreading the ID info. Please remove the photo asap. 

@Aleksandr235 Another thing. The scammer writes that his name is Henry Mikael. But that is not the passport owners name. His name is actual the opposite Mikael Henry - they write it with the surname first in the passport - but the scammer didn't realize. It's probably a guy like you how needed a place to stay and didn't realize it was a scam and emailed ID :-/. **bleep**ty scammers :-/. 

Yeah, I am now waiting for the bank details from him..

Where also I should report that? 

@Aleksandr235 You should report it to the website you found the ad on. The scammers are using Airbnb's name to make it seem legit - but it has nothing to do with Airbnb.

If you would like to rent an Airbnb - always book from the official site because then the money is save with Airbnb until after you as a guest checks-in. The scammers will ask you to transfer money directly to them and then your money will be gone. 

I got scammed by this, someone by the name of Brenda Wallinger her “brother” Earl Harvey put it on Facebook. 

I was stupid enough to get fooled by it!

Dalva40
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

They tried the same thing with me. Some Brenda wallinger. Her emails sounded so fishy that I deceived to Google search her name and details and I found out it was a scam! 

Fables0
Level 2
Portland, OR

Same.

Craigslist ad started with this email: 

Zumnie@4white.me

then replies

with this one:

Aella Bakker

Wants ID and rent and deposit.

“The rental price per month is $900.00, security deposit is $900,00 so the total cost to move in is $1,800.00.“

https://myalbum.com/album/jBgHMSkHS5Tj

My name is Aella Bakker and I'm originally from Amsterdam, Netherlands. I have worked in the United States for three years and I bought the apartment during my stay there. I'm the owner of it. Now, I have moved with my work in Madrid, Spain for at least 4 years and I'm interested in renting through Airbnb. I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)?

If you are interested please let me know so I can explain how you can rent my apartment through Airbnb.

Apartment address: 2350 NW Savier St, Portland, OR 97210