Review Removed

Daniel9517
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

Review Removed

Hi all,

Had to share my experience in Woodside, New York because my review was removed due to “retaliation.” Rented from Giana - and Carlos - who wound up giving me the wrong key to the building. It was a building where you had to lock the front door upon your departure.

The next morning, after getting the wrong key, I locked the unit’s door but I was unable to lock the building’s door. I have to be at the school that I work at. I contacted Giani as soon as I knew that the key didn’t work. No response. She calls me around 10:30 am, approximately 4 hours later, and Giani started screaming at me. How much she values security. She was absolutely awful and tried to let me speak at all. I had to hang up.

After the conflict I suggested that I could leave as long as I am refunded for the days that I wouldn’t stay. Giani refused. She said she would need to inspect my room before I leave. I refused. Neither she nor Carlos was staying in the residence. 

Fast forward to check out process, which was weeks later. We mutually agree that I would leave the keys in the space Giani requested. Instead, after I get out of the shower I find that both Giani and Carlos are inside the apartment. 

I contact Airbnb and a representative profusely apologizes. After a few days they investigate and clear Giani and Carlos. They continue to host. The kicker? Airbnb removes my review for “retaliation” months later.

5 Replies 5
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Daniel9517 

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I've passed the details of what happened over to the team, and asked if they can review everything, and then come back to you with a response.

Hopefully you'll hear from someone soon, and if I hear anything useful in the meantime, I'll get back to you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

For the 2nd time Airbnb “investigated” and did not provide me any details on why a decision was made. It’s clear to me now that it is acceptable for hosts to enter a space that I am paying for, before my check out, unwelcome and unannounced. That is exactly what happened and Airbnb did nothing to the hosts at all who displayed this behavior. 

@Jenny , I appreciate your help but Airbnb again cleared ** of any wrongdoing. A supervisor was involved, but I would like this issue to be escalated to a higher level. 

**[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Sounds like you and the host communicated over the phone so there’s the problem. 

you should always only communicate thru airbnb messaging in the event of aircover claim or other arbitration is required. You need to document everything that transpired and airbnb messaging is the only way to do that. 

That’s definitely an oversimplification of “the problem.” I had enough evidence documented in Airbnb messaging. This just confirms to me the bias Airbnb has. Favors the hosts. Very frequent traveler but now use them as a last resort if I can’t find a deal anywhere.