Russia - Tourist Confirmation Letter

Answered!

Russia - Tourist Confirmation Letter

Hi there. I am an Australian planning to travel to Russia in May and I understand that I need to provide a tourist confirmation letter as part of the visa application process. My questions are...

1. How did you obtain this document when booking with AirBnb?
  2. Is this something that the AirBnb team can provide?
  3. If you booked an apartment via AirBnb, were you able to use the tourist confirmation letter from an airline, train, or day trip tour company instead?

Thanks, Karen

1 Best Answer
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

A little update for any travellers thinking of including Russia on their travel itinerary, from October 1st, the electronic-visa will be launched for entry to Russia for visitors to Saint Petersburg city and region.

This means a vastly simplified, cheaper and faster procedure for visitors.

No invitation voucher is needed and no more consulate fees.

In brief;

Online application can be made up to just 4 days before entry date.

Single entry to the country.

Valid for a 30 days after application for a period of stay in St Petersburg is up to 8 days.

It's open to citizens of around 50 countries, you can check on-line for full details ;

Includes most EU, Scandinavian, Baltic States countries.

India, China and Indonesia. See on-line for an up to date list.

View Best Answer in original post

104 Replies 104
Leo100
Level 1
Moscow, Russia

The easiest and fastest way to obtain a tourist visa is to do it by yourself. Here are the main steps you will need to take:

1. Obtain a tourist invitation (voucher)
2. Print it out and enclose to the rest of documents for tourist visa (these usually include travel insurance, photos, passport, and filled visa application)
3. Apply at the nearest Consulate Service of the Russian Embassy
4. Get your visa and travel to Russia You won’t have to pay hundreds of dollars to visa agencies. The price of the tourist invitation for EU citizens is 19 EUR. Y

I found www.myvisatorussia.com.en or you can google other companies that provide vouchers

Leo,

Thankfully we just got tickets to some matches so we will not need a tourist Visa. We are going to be getting a FAN ID which will substitute for a visa. Thanks for your reply though. 

Ekaterina30
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

@Elena87 Hello, Elena! I would like to ask for some details about obtaining the visa. My boyfriend is coming from the Netherlands on the 24th of February. We still didn’t get the invitation yet. But he needs to stay till 4th of March with AirBnb. We don’t want to have a hotel. I need to understand how to make this invitation with Airbnb and if it is safe to do the invitation through FMS with the fact that he will have Airbnb. By the way, the visa is a first time visa. Thanks for help in advance! 

@Ekaterina30 Hello

You could go to your local immigration office and apply for a private invitation voucher there for your boyfriend - he could apply in the Netherlands for a private Russian visa instead of the usual tourist visa.

I think the time to wait for a private voucher is 21 days - the original copy does need to be sent to the Netherlands though.

The advantage of this is he can get a ninety day visa allowing multiple entries to Russia so it can be useful if he has plans to make a return visit.

Otherwise, airbnb don't issue invitation vouchers. If you use a company to buy an invitation voucher - from my experience they normally give details of a default hotel they work with,they will state this on the invitation.

Consulates don't check this information because it is provisional - you can get a voucher even if you haven't decided where you might stay. You can get more details from an agency that issues invitations.

Feel free to personal message me if you need more details.

Karishma1
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Hi Guys,

I am travelling with my family to Russia in May. Below are my details. Could you please help me with the kind of documents I would require from the Host or Air BNB for the visa in terms of the travel confirmation/ voucher, invitation letters? The process seems to be a little confusing and want to be sure of everything before applying for the visa. Also, how does the registration process work once we are in the country. Do we need to register ourselves in both the cities? 

St Petersburg- 1st May to 4th May

Moscow- 4th May to 7th May 

We are staying for a total of 7 days including the weekend and 5 days excluding the weekend.

Thanks,

Karishma Kumar 

@Karishma1

Hello Karishma, I reply regularly to this topic so please read through the previous conversations which cover all what you ask.

With your questions;

1. Hosts or Airbnb can't issue the invitation/confirmation voucher (both are issued together on the same one page document) - they are only issued by state registered tourist offices. Best to get one directly from an on-line company (or a large hotel chain) that provides them but do shop around as prices can vary. Some hosts might be able to assist of course by obtaining a voucher locally as I try to do.

2. You do not need to register - it's only required if you are staying for more than seven working days that you need to think about this - your trip lasts for only four working days (your arrival date isn't included plus it is indeed a public holiday in Russia)

You will receive an immigration card at arrival in Pulkovo and this will show your arrival date - when you depart you simply return the card at the customs control check.

@Elena

Hi, Hopefully Elena see's this because she seems super helpful. I will be staying in Russia for the World Cup and have a fan ID and therefore do not need a visa. While some of my stay is with a tour group and at hotels, i am thinking of using airbnb in some other places where hotels and hostels are limited.

My issue is some of these are newer listings are aware of the "visa registration" and that i need to register as soon as i arrive.

Is there some russian and english website i could send to hosts to give them a bit more information?

Thanks in advance

@Benjamin255

You can try this link in Russian on registration.

https://rg.ru/2011/03/23/migranty-site-dok.html

Hi Karishma,

You'll have to get a visa invitation from a third party. Look online or you can check out our website at LetsRussia.com. We provide the invitations you'll need for your visa. You won't need to register since your stay is less than 7 business days.

Best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I have send few questions on your website mail id - [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

. Could you take a look?

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Karishma,

Did you get your visa for the travel? Did they ask for any documents other than ones specified on ifs website?

Also, how did you get your travel insurance?

Appreciate your response.

Kind Regards,

Vivek

Hi Karishma,

Did you get your visa for the travel? Did they ask for any documents other than ones specified on ifs website?

Also, how did you get your travel insurance?

Appreciate your response.

Kind Regards,

Vivek

Marcus96
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

Hi,

You'll have to get your visa invitation (or tourist voucher) elsewhere. I offer this to foreigners as a bonus when they book with us here in Moscow, for example. You can purchase tourist invitations online for under $20.

If you book on AirBnb, some Russian consulates will ask you to put Private Housing and the address with the apartment number. I run LetsRussia.com and we offer tourist invitations. We put Private Housing on the invitation when we issue them (if our customers booked on AirBnb) so you'd add the same thing on your visa application. Whatever is on your invitation, put that on your visa application so they match.

Only official tourist companies in Russia can provide invitations to Russia unless you're applying for a private visa. Your friend in Russia can go the local immigration office and apply for a private visa invitation BUT it's a hassle for them, takes longer and costs only a little less than an online tourist invitation. Don't put your dear Russian friend through that when you can just apply for a tourist visa : )

Marcus,

Thank you for your feedback. Since I am coming to Russia on a "Fan ID" for the world cup I will not be applying for or receiving a traditional VISA. The "Fan ID" provides anyone with a ticket to a world cup match visa free entry into russia during the world cup. 

I do have a question about the registration that is required.  It is my understanding that if I stay in Russia for more than 7 days i am required to register with FMS. Do you know if this registration is still required during the world cup?