Sales Tax

Charlotte11
Level 3
Charlottesville, VA

Sales Tax

Longshot, but can I compare notes with you guys? Here's the thing:

In Virginia, AirBnB refuses to follow VA law to provide host data along with the remittance of bulk sales tax revenue to localities. (All other platforms have no problem with that.) So, hosts are required to submit a monthly report to the local government that lists the rental income last month and how much tax should be remitted on our behalf.

In order to figure that out, I long ago developed a spreadsheet template to help. Pull up last month's transactions on AirBnB and export to csv, then plug in the numbers to the template. In Dec 2022, I discovered that AirBnB started charging sales tax on the fee guests pay them. OK, no problem, probably gearing up for the Oct 2023 transition from hosts remitting the taxes to AirBnB remitting them.

On July 1 2024, our local transient occupancy rate rose from 8% to 9%. So I edit the template accordingly. Then I realized the total sales tax didn't match what AirBnB listed on the Transaction History. Went line by line for my 3 bookings in July and found that the rate AirBnB charged on guest fees wasn't consistent. One was correct - the total of local and state tax = 14.3%. One factored out at 6.23% (??) and the last at 6.2% (??).

I called AirBnB on Sep 6 and they said it would be researched and they'd get back to me. I've received 3 "still working on your issue" messages and still have no answer. So I'm reaching out to you people! Does anyone else track this line by line or do you just report what AirBnB lists in the Transaction History? They reported (and presumably paid) $464.03 in collected taxes for July and, by my calculations, it should have been $491.21.

Thanks for any feedback!

0 Replies 0