Suddenly no bookings 2024

Answered!
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Suddenly no bookings 2024

I have 7 years of 5 star ratings in Santa Monica, California. Suddenly I had hardly anything in December ‘23, only one booking in January, one booking in March, then nothing at all. I’ve always been fully booked. I dont’ understand.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I would appreciate any insights!

1 Best Answer
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Hello Everyone.

Here are links to the best information I can find. Also, I’ve read the last 2 quarter earnings report, (the most recent one from last week.) You will find a link to the latest one below. I have also included a few other links I found helpful in putting together why we have had a slow spell.

I’ll say that my listings picked up after I’ve lowered the price $30 a night, which is a good amount, considering how expensive everything has gotten. Also I cut the cleaning fee to $50. 

Based on what I have read in both the earnings reports, along with reading a few other articles found on the internet, I think a lot of the slow down had to do with Airbnb purposely trying to lower rates as well as bring in more hosts. The “guest favorite” filter gives new hosts more opportunity to get listings faster as it regenerates every 24 hours, while superhost status is every month or so. (I forget how long exactly, but, it’s a longer qualifying period)

As well, I was told by a support ambassador that the order of listings sorts randomly over periods of time, regardless if you are a guest favorite or not. (Superhost does not give you any advantage in search options anymore.) This was done for the same reason; to give new hosts the opportunity to be featured.

I’ve noticed that at times my listing only appears as a blank dot on the map, especially when I put in a blanket search for Santa Monica. This is even if I put in the guest favorite filter. Rather unfortunate, and I would say, unfair. But that’s that and unless they are reading this and decide to do something about it, that’s the way they are doing it.

The earnings reports also talked about how they are trying to be more competitive with hotels price-wise. Overall rates on hotels have gone up around 10%, while Airbnb has gone down a bit. Airbnb considers this a win. And perhaps over the long run it will be for us, as well. It has always been an advantage here, because and equal quality hotel is a fortune.

Finally, it seems that Airbnb is buying small boutique hotels here and there in an effort to diversify its portfolio. In the earnings reports they allude to “acquiring” investment opportunities, but that’s it. However, an ambassador confirmed that they are doing this. They are waiting to announce it. If you google it, you will find articles.

I hope this has helped sort it out. If anyone else has any input, please speak up under this reply. It’s nice to have it all in one place. This is otherwise an extremely long thread.

Here are the links promised.

February 13, 2024 earnings call: 

https://airbnb2020ipo.q4web.com/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Airbnb-Q4-23-Earnings-Call-Transcript.p...

re: boutique hotels: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-expanding-boutique-hotels-branded-buildings-2019-12

Random articles:

Airbnb vs hotels: Why are customers and hosts over Airbnb? - Vox

Are Your Airbnb Bookings Down? Statistics, Factors, & Tips

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/05/06/hotels-airbnb/

View Best Answer in original post

207 Replies 207

I totally understand what you're saying. It surprised me too. But that is a direct quote from the lady who is the head of Mayfield/Graves Tourism in Mayfield Ky. It's no skin off my nose what they do with the 3%. I'm doing just fine with Airbnb. It's just an odd thing and I think others were wanting info, so I thought I would share what was told to me. There were other concerns that some here were talking about, but I really didn't understand all that. So I keep watching, reading and listening. LOL. Thanks for getting back with me. I'll watch for other's responses. 

@Jo932  Understood. I’m glad you are doing fine. Fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.

I messaged a couple of people further down the thread. Let me know if you see it

Anthony218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Yes. It's not an exclusive contract.

Also, How did you discover who has these listings?  I would like to look at the same in my city.  (You said “…then had a look at the map and noticed that about halve of the listings in my city are controlled by an external operator that is not even located in the region.”)

Does anyone know how to get some eyes from Airbnb staff and officers onto this thread? I would like to hear any enlightenment they can give as to what’s going on? It feels and seems systemic. Something must have changed and we deserve a straightforward answer so we know what to do with our listings.

Many of us depend on this. 

I'm exactly in the same situation. Hundreds of bookings in the past few years, 4.99 rating, cheaper than hotels around, used to be 70/80% booked. One booking in January from a regular guest and that's pretty much it. 

Thanks for your response.  If you read down, it seems to be happening all over, sadly.

I’m hoping to get Airbnb staff and officer eyes on this for some feedback. Do you know how to do that? I can’t find an option.

I’ve really enjoyed hosting! And, it was a lifesaver for me. Hoping to find a solution!

Hi @Michele511,

I agree with you that Airbnb staff should have their eyes on this and address it somehow on a post to all hosts. I have noticed my listing was not booking as far out as it did earlier but I still have high bookings and I have done special offers and such. 

@Bhumika @Paula @Rebecca can you community host managers flag this thread to the right team and or executive to address these issues of property management companies undercutting long term Superhosts/hosts, or what is trending and how we can improve bookings?  Hosts are critical to the success of your company, if hosts are not supported, guests will have nowhere to book. Thank you for directing this thread to the right teams/people.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Lorina14

Thank you for bringing this one to my attention. I'll raise this to the Airbnb Team. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Rebecca  THANK YOU! I’ve been waiting for this moment!

And thank you, @Lorina14  I appreciate your help!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @Michele511 & @Lorina14,

Thank you again for raising this and allowing me time to reach out to Airbnb to make them aware of your concerns. Whilst I've passed that over to the Airbnb Team, there is some information that might help. 

We often find guests consider the location, amenities, photos, and reviews; total price is also very important. Airbnb offers Hosts guidance on how Hosts can help make their listings more appealing and competitive to guests, based on what we observe across listings and bookings.

There are lots of excellent tips too from Hosts in your area, so consider joining your Local Host Club. 😊

-----

@Rebecca & cc: @Lorina14 

Hello Rebecca. I think I speak for a lot of people in this thread that we have tried the things you sugges. I would like to point out that, regarding pricing, I have lowered my price significantly, and when I take a look at what smart pricing would charge is quite a bit more than even my old price.

Is it possible for you to find out the following:

1) why did they take away AirBnB Plus and super host from the search? 
2) did they change the algorithm in some way? If so, why?

3) what else have they changed they would initiate this sort of outcome?

4) Is there something that AirBnB could do that would bring things back to the way they were? Or has that ship sailed?

Thank you for taking the time to research these things for us. We count on this business and would be terribly disappointed if it came to an end.

Michele511

Michele

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Michele511

Thank you for being so understanding and patient and for articulating your questions so well. I can absolutely take them away and see what I can find out - I won't make any promises though. 

Edit to add: I just realised that my links to the guidance and support from Airbnb as well as the Local Host Clubs didn't hyperlink, so I've added them in. Apologies for my mistake. 

I'll be in touch soon, either way. 

Rebecca

-----

what was the answer?