Surprise and Impressed with Host Guarantee (Damaged Mattress Claim)

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

Surprise and Impressed with Host Guarantee (Damaged Mattress Claim)

I had 2 adults and 2 infants stay for one night.

The unit is 1 bedroom, and I assumed the guests would bring a sleeper/playpen for the babies as all my guests with infants have done this.  (lesson learned - never assume).

Next day I go in to clean and notice the mattress was soaking wet with staining. There was a strong urine odour and it was clear they had tried to clean the mattress. The mattress is memory foam. *There was a mattress protector on, however was not suitable for large amounts of liquid.. clearly. 

I contacted the guest. He admitted to his son peeing, however his version was the boy was wearing a diaper and a small amount of urine hit the bed sheets. 

I contacted several cleaning companies to inquire if a memory foam mattress can be adequately cleaned after urine going through it. I was told no.

I had to cancel a 2 day stay that was checking in that day due to not having a mattress available at that time. 

I started a claim, and of course the guest denied it and refused to pay. 

I escalated the claim to Airbnb. 

3 days later to my surprise, they advised they would be refunding me for the mattress under the host guarantee coverage!!! 

I've read SO MANY negative stories here about hosts not being covered for damaged items, I was shocked with the positive outcome!

Just wanted to share my experience!

Anyone else have a positive experience with being refunded? 

47 Replies 47
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Well then let me add to the positive stories, and I assure you, I don't work for them.

3 months ago, someone refused to check out of my home.  She threatened me over text when I told her that I would have to get the police involved if she didn't vacate immediately.  Long story short, AirBNB reimbursed me for the damages she'd caused THAT DAY and they banned her from the platform as I was able to screenshot the messages she'd sent me (and she also swore/cussed out an AirBNB rep that tried to call her.)

Last week, on NYE day, the guest checking out stole my front door key and my key FOB that allows entry to my condo building and my private parking space.  (I posted about it at the time, seeking guidance.)  The key and FOB are worth $200, plus I figured I'd have to have my locks changed as this guest now had access to my building any time she pleased.  (She was also local, which is why this made me anxious.)  I immediately requested the funds from her, to which she did not reply.  On Friday January 3rd, I escalated it to the Host Guarantee department.  This morning (January 9th) they e-mailed me to let me know they were reimbursing me in full for the amount I had claimed.  

A few important tips that helped make my case:

1) You must make a request for money BEFORE your next guest checks in.  Period.  The guarantee says that or 14 days, whichever comes first.  Unfortunately I had someone checking in (and now they didn't have access to my parking spot, grrr) so I literally had an hour from the time I was informed the key was gone to the time my guest was checking in.  

2) RAISE YOUR SAFETY DEPOSIT AMOUNT.  I erroneously thought that AirBNB charged a 'hold' on guests' credit cards, much like hotels do.  As such, I had mine set to $250 CAD thinking no guest wants a $500 hold on their card.  What AirBNB really does is keep their credit card information on file, so that if/when you make a claim, they go ahead and charge the guest from their end.  Whose money do you think AirBNB is more willing to spend?  Their own, under the Host Guarantee, or your guest's, using the safety deposit?  I've since increased mine as a result.

3) Contact AirBNB immediately when you realize something is wrong, even if you don't think a claim will come out of it.  Your call will be logged in your file, and you can clearly show that you made an attempt to follow any and all protocols when filing your claim.  They can't come back with 'well, you should have asked' or 'you should have done XYZ.'  You're basically just covering your butt at this point.

4) Send any and all communication with your guest through the AirBNB messenger.  If you can't, or you've had to reach out via cell phone like I did (when she wasn't answering on AirBNB), screenshot everything and add it to your claim.

5) Keep your receipts for literally everything you purchase for your rental, though you should be already.  The two times I've had to make claims, my receipts were readily available and no questions were asked about the amount on them.  I was simply reimbursed.

6) Be organized.  I sent screenshots of locksmith pricing, the replacement order form from my property management including the costs of the key and key FOB, the police report I filed with my local police department, etc.  The more information, the better.

As I mentioned in another post, you cannot claim loss of revenue with the Host Protection guarantee.  This guarantee covers only the loss of physical items or physical damage.  As such, I could not collect a late checkout fee from the guest nor could I collect the partial reimbursement I had to give the NYE guest checking in for not having access to parking.  It is what it is.  I was reimbursed over $500 which will more than cover my costs, thankfully.  

Best of luck to everyone!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Danielle476 

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation of how to proceed.

Best wishes 

Angielena0
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I had a fairly good experience when I had a guest with a drug problem and needles and blood made an entire room unsafe to use again. I was trained in remediation so I did the toxic cleaning myself and had to throw away almost everything in the room, the mattress and all soft surfaces were new and they did damage to our building by breaking into our lock box ( destroyed our door frame) it was about 3000$ in damages. Air reimbursed me for $1500.. I suppose I learned a lesson and I was actually happy it wasn’t a total loss. Thankfully I’ve never had a problem since. It was a fairly easy process to get reimbursed also