The worst customer service, will never use Airbnb!

Answered!
Serena494
Level 1
California, United States

The worst customer service, will never use Airbnb!

What happened in my latest Airbnb experience really crushed any little hope I had for Airbnb in being a better customer-facing company.

My airline canceled my flight and I informed my host 10 hours after I made the reservation. The host decided not to refund me and kept me waiting on their responses. I asked Airbnb customer service to step in and they told me that there is nothing they can do to help me because host made the decision of not giving refund. 

Airbnb is not helping with the issue and I am exhausted trying to contact them. Airbnb has been really irresponsible on this issue, for example, not providing me with any resources or telling me to raise a refund request.

I have been a loyal customer to Airbnb in the past 6 years. I've used Airbnb across 20+ countries with so many different hosts. They left great reviews for me and reading them today when I close my account really is emotional. I know a lot people probably are taking similar risks/chances like I did. But it will only take ONE case to destroy all the hope you had for using this company's service.

There was one time I stayed in an Airbnb in Seattle where I got rubbed and someone broke into the apartment and took all my valuables. Airbnb didn't even think about helping me with refund. I had to request/call/email so many times to get Airbnb to contact the host who then processed the refund. My valuables meant nothing to Airbnb (I didn't get any penny reimbursement for that).

Event with that, I continued my journey with Airbnb, but this time is different. I've had enough of this horrible customer service who consistently told me that there is nothing they can do. Even when I asked to speak to a supervisor, the supervisor told me that someone else will take the case because he is not available. Speaking of avoiding problem solving and treating customer like trash!

Same thing this time with airline canceling and host being extremely unreasonable (the host didn't even let me change the dates even it was 5 days away), Airbnb failed to provide me with any support and only told me that there isn't anything they can do.

Hence, I have made a decision today to permanently close my Airbnb account after I leave a well-deserved review for the host, and I will make sure I tell everyone I know to not use Airbnb.

I know Airbnb couldn't care less about losing a loyal customer as what I have learned today. Goodbye and good luck to you all who risk your life and valuables in using a service from a company that does not give a darn for you.

Top Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Serena494 

I am sorry your airline cancelled the booking.

You can cancel penalty free within 48 hours of booking if you're booking was more than two weeks from the date you booked.

However if you cancel within two weeks your cancellation will be processed in line with the cancellation policy you booked under.Airbnb is simply a booking platform and there is nothing they can do if the host decides to uphold the cancellation policy you booked under.

Airbnb have advised you correctly it is the hosts decision as to whether to voluntarily offer you a higher refund then you would be entitled to under the cancellation policy you booked under.

Some hosts including myself would offer a voluntary refund for any dates they are able to rebook.

Many bookings whether for airline tickets, concerts, sporting events or holiday accommodation are on refundable so it's always good to check the cancellation policy you book under.

I would suggest you contact your travel insurance and see if you can make a claim.

I recently had to cancel an airbnb booking and flights as my friend I was travelling with was ill. I didn't expect the airline or host to refund me but put in a claim on my travel insurance. 

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Serena494 ! I am sorry to hear of your experience and understand that the last minute changes to the flight may have disrupted your plans. It looks like you were actively in touch with both Host and the Support team regarding your concerns.

Did you reach out to the support team again in the meantime? 

I also wanted to share an article about How cancellations work , in case you were looking for more information on how to get through this situations in future. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Serena494
Level 1

Hi Bhumika!

I called Airbnb support team 10 times and they all told me there is nothing they can do because the host firmly withheld all the money and refused to refund anything!

To be honest, I don't trust anything Airbnb support team said. They told me that they did everything they can.

Ridiculous!

At least they can refund the platform fee for a stay that never happened!!! I didn't even enjoy the service and how can they charge me for this? 

Shame on all the customer service who told me that they did everything they can! They didn't even do the basics!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Serena494 

I am sorry your airline cancelled the booking.

You can cancel penalty free within 48 hours of booking if you're booking was more than two weeks from the date you booked.

However if you cancel within two weeks your cancellation will be processed in line with the cancellation policy you booked under.Airbnb is simply a booking platform and there is nothing they can do if the host decides to uphold the cancellation policy you booked under.

Airbnb have advised you correctly it is the hosts decision as to whether to voluntarily offer you a higher refund then you would be entitled to under the cancellation policy you booked under.

Some hosts including myself would offer a voluntary refund for any dates they are able to rebook.

Many bookings whether for airline tickets, concerts, sporting events or holiday accommodation are on refundable so it's always good to check the cancellation policy you book under.

I would suggest you contact your travel insurance and see if you can make a claim.

I recently had to cancel an airbnb booking and flights as my friend I was travelling with was ill. I didn't expect the airline or host to refund me but put in a claim on my travel insurance. 

Serena494
Level 1

Hi Helena! same response to you as I have responded to Bhumika. Disappointment is beyond words at this moment.

I called Airbnb support team 10 times and they all told me there is nothing they can do because the host firmly withheld all the money and refused to refund anything!

To be honest, I don't trust anything Airbnb support team said. They told me that they did everything they can.

Ridiculous!

At least they can refund the platform fee for a stay that never happened!!! I didn't even enjoy the service and how can they charge me for this? 

Shame on all the customer service who told me that they did everything they can! They didn't even do the basics!

Adam1990
Level 1
M, Germany

AIRBNB has the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced.....

i feel like I am talking to an AI program from 2005 whenever I get a message from them.

I stayed for 10 days at a horrible place....no kitchen ...the wifi that I need for my work wasnt working.....

the reps were unable to do anything other than speak incoherently about my situation and offered NO SOLUTION

this thread I havve going with them is 3 weeks long and I till havent gotten any resolution or refund....but they keep bringing it back and reopening the convo.....

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful when talking about our Support Staff ]