[Guide] Tips for an even more inclusive communication with guests

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

[Guide] Tips for an even more inclusive communication with guests

By Daniel from Spain and @Felicity11 from Australia. Members of the Host Advisory Board.

Pride.jpg

In Pride month we want to raise our voice and take this opportunity to talk about inclusive hosting. I hope you all find this post useful as I join forces with @Felicity11 to share some of our experiences and tips on inclusive hosting.

The first thing we must do as hosts is to be aware of the implicit prejudices or biases that we all have, whether we want to or not, and that are part of our environment. We all come from different backgrounds and cultures and learning from others is a wonderful opportunity to enrich ourselves and come out stronger. 

Secondly, we must think about, and put ourselves in the shoes of, many of our guests who suffer discrimination in their places of origin, and may also be distressed to know that they could face unpleasant situations when they travel.

On a recent holiday to New Zealand, Felicity spent time with her family and friends and, out of curiosity, she asked her gay friends how they felt when they traveled and what tips could they share to be a more welcoming and inclusive host. Some of the stories they shared were quite hurtful and it soon became clear that, even nowadays, it can be difficult at times to find a welcoming home to stay in as part of the LGBTQ+  community. 

Felicity.jpeg

*Felicity  has made a multi-colour cushion (with recycled items!) that she will put in her listing 🙂

For all these reasons, inclusive communication is becoming increasingly important and relevant if we want to make everyone feel that they belong wherever they go. 

Airbnb has launched a Guide on How to be an even more inclusive host and on that basis, which we recommend to take a look at, we share some experiences and good practices. 

• Don't assume

Many times, as hosts, we take some situations for granted, however, having an open mind will help us understand how our biases work. 

Daniel points out that when a guest indicates that they are traveling with their partner, as a rule he asks for the name of their companion, thus avoiding making assumptions about the other person's gender.  Some hosts also add their pronouns next to the profile description, so that their guests can also indicate how they want to be addressed.

Do not assume a couple is straight. Until you know that a couple is straight, try and use gender neutral language. Refer to the other guest as a partner and not wife or husband.

Felicity also says that families come in all shapes and sizes, so if you have a non nuclear family refer to the group as a family. Some families have two dads or mothers. If you are unsure of the family dynamic rather than refer to mother and father simply say parents. 

Guests Bram & Michael.jpeg

*Daniel and his lovely guests, Bram and Michael from The Netherlands! 

• Personalize the message

While it's true that automatic messages or saved replies are helpful, personalizing the message makes guests feel more welcome from the start. Calling them by name and taking into account what they have told us in their previous messages, or what their profiles say (now that we can know more about them thanks to personalizing them), is important to engage in real, effective and inclusive communication. Some guests need to get confirmation about how inclusive or safe the experience will be with hosts, so Daniel writes on his notes “Me and my husband will be waiting for you at home to welcome and provide useful information”.

Also, remember that there are also tips to create a more inclusive listing where you can make guests feel welcome by seeking out local attractions that are LGBTQ friendly and adding these to your guide book, for instance. Adding a welcome photo in your listing, writing a welcome message in your profile or activating the instant book are more tools which can help us to send the right message to our guests. Have a look at the amazing post that Dolly from Florida, Rie from Japan and Mauricio from Mexico shared with all of us.

Dreams.jpeg

*"I love Holland" with a same sex partner was gifted by Bram and Michael ❤️

• Use open-ended questions 

Since we're not going to assume and we're going to personalize messages, using open-ended questions will help us get to know our guests better and provide them with a better experience. For instance, how can I help make your trip more enjoyable? How can I provide you with a fulfilling experience? 

If you need to confirm how a bed should be set up for guests i.e. two singles or a king bed do this gently in your confirmation letter. When setting up a room do not assume there will be a male and female guest. Try and leave a range of items that will appeal to both genders or leave products that are gender neutral.

In short, in the face of prejudice we must always adopt an equitable attitude to accept and receive our guests at home. Sometimes, it is not enough to say that everyone is welcome, hosts need to better understand the anxieties around travel for the LGBTQ+ guests. 

With a bit more knowledge and understanding we can help our guests feel welcome, safe and comfortable when staying with us.

We believe that a better world is possible. Respect, love and education are the basis for a more open, diverse and plural society. Happy Pride Month to everyone and remember that these days are an opportunity to claim the rights of LGBTQ+ people, but in general to hold the rights of everyone to belong, whoever they are and wherever they are.

Daniel & Edu.jpeg

*#HostingWithPride - Daniel and his husband, Eduardo, who is also co-host.

Check out these other posts about inclusivity by clicking in the images below: 

What's your approach for inclusive hosting (3).png

What's your approach for inclusive hosting (1).png

33 Replies 33
Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Great takeaways here! Inclusive hosting is crucial, and as hosts, it's important to be aware of our biases and embrace diversity. We should avoid assumptions and use gender-neutral language when referring to guests. Personalizing messages, asking open-ended questions, and creating inclusive listings contribute to a welcoming and comfortable experience. Thank you for posting. Happy Pride Month!

Daniel1651

That's right, @Dolly36 

This date is always an opportunity to talk about how we can be more open, plural and inclusive hosts ❤️

Daniel.-

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Dolly36 

Thank you for your support.  I am so happy to hear that you got some thing out of the article.   I agree language is so important and these are only a few words we can use there will be many more that I hope other hosts will share with us so we can all learn and use this not only when we are hosting but in our day to day lives. 

Daniel1651

It happens to me that once I manage to understand how my prejudices work, then I am increasingly aware of all the acts we do without realizing it.

For this reason, taking a moment to reflect always helps us to incorporate new and good habits!

Kirk124
Atlanta, GA

Daniel and Felicity — awesome piece. Thanks for sharing and reminding us all how we can be intentional about our inclusive hosting practices. There some tips I will incorporate personally as well. Happy Pride!

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Kirk124 

Thank you for your support so happy to hear you liked the piece and will incorporate these tips into your listing. 

Deirdre122
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Thank you Daniel and Felicity for this insightful post. As a host this is useful to take a deeper look at my listing to adjust to highlight that we are an inclusive and welciming experience.

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Thanks @Deirdre122 

So happy to hear that this post has been useful and inspired you to make some changes to your listing!   Thank you for your support! 

Daniel1651

Hey @Deirdre122 , we really appreciate your words and take this opportunity to invite everyone to have a look at the guide on how to be an even more inclusive host, which has more powerful examples about it:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/g/how-to-be-an-even-more-inclusive-host-16?

Rie9
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

Thank you Daniel and Felicity!

All people in this world want their homes to be safe and they want to live happily with the people they love.
Airbnb hosts do a wonderful job of embodying such wishes.

#hostwithpride

Happy pride month from JAPAN!!

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Thanks @Rie9  for your support.

Happy Pride Month from Australia 

Daniel1651

Hugs from Tenerife to Japan, dear @Rie9  and thanks for your support with the great post written with @Dolly36  and @Mauricio467 ❤️

I recommend to all of us to have a look of it too:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/How-to-Let-Guests-Know-That-My-Listin...

Mauricio467
Cancún, Mexico

@Daniel1651 , Felicity,

This is so great, thank you very much for sharing it. There is no doubt that together as a Hosts we can make a difference to carry such a simple message full of love.😊

Mauricio
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Thank you @Mauricio467 

There is so much we can do as hosts to make a difference in the world and help guests feel safe and welcome.