What’s your approach to inclusive hosting?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What’s your approach to inclusive hosting?

Bhumika_0-1687380626234.png

As a reminder, Pride is celebrated globally during the month of June to promote acceptance and equity for LGBTQ+ communities. Host Advisory Board members @Daniel1651 and @Kirk124 are leading a Host Community social campaign by creating Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok posts highlighting their individual approaches to helping guests of all backgrounds and orientations feel welcome and safe. To help you keep #hostingwithpride, we’ve gathered some graphics here (in 12 languages!) that you can share on your favorite social platforms to amplify the message if you’re interested. Some ideas for what to share in your social posts:

• What’s your approach to inclusive hosting? How do you let guests of all backgrounds, orientations and abilities know that they will be safe and welcome in your space?
  • Have you ever made an unexpected connection with a guest that helped you better understand an unfamiliar culture? Consider sharing your story to inspire others!

For more ideas about how to be an even more inclusive Host, check out Airbnb’s Guide to Inclusive Hosting.

Bhumika
Updated 23 June 2023

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

23 Replies 23
Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Thanks for sharing, @Bhumika !

Indeed, I think we all need to ask ourselves how we can make our ads even more inclusive.

It is important to put yourself in the shoes of others and above all, of those who suffer discrimination in their place of origin and who also face the fear of the unknown when they go on a trip.

That is why it is important that our listing is giving signals to make everyone feel at home.

I encourage you to share your ideas for getting there and to review the inclusive hosting guide!

Greetings to all and Happy Pride Month 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bhumika My understanding is that Airbnb used to have a tag making listings LGTTQ+ friendly.  If true and it was takedown does anyone know why?

I don't remember seeing this? Been hosting for eight years @Mike-And-Jane0 

Daniel1651

@Helen3 I don't remember it either and I've been since 2012...

Do you have more information @Mike-And-Jane0 ?

Greetings from both of you, from Tenerife, Canary Islands!

@Daniel1651 @Helen3 From memory it was mentioned by Andrew in Berlin. Sadly he is banned from the CC and strangely his posts seem to be under the @anonymous tag so I am afraid we can never ask him.

Rie9
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

Hi @Bhumika Thanks for sharing!! I went to the Box from this "here" link, but it only has English templates.  I would like to share the Japanese template with my Japanese hosts.

Could you please tell me what to do?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Rie9 ,

Thank you so much for checking on it and sharing it with us. We noticed it earlier and wanted to assure you that we are working actively towards updating the link. 

We will update it asap and keep you and our members posted.

Thank you once again!!

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Daniel1651 @Rie9,

Thank you so much for checking the link out and letting us know about the issue. I am glad to inform you that we have updated the box link and sharing the link here with you as well: https://airbnb.app.box.com/v/host-pride-2023.

-----

Daniel1651

Thanks, @Bhumika !

Covers in 12 languages, it is awesome! 👏

Irma271
Level 3
California, United States

I don't focus on where anyone is from or what their lifestyle is.  If you are a kind human with good character you are welcome!  I don't shine a spotlight on any group that makes them feel odd or out of the ordinary because what is the ordinary?  People are people.  We all hurt.  We all love.  We all bleed.  I don't feel the need to have to say we are LGBTQ friendly because we welcome ALL!  You are a person to us, not an acronym.  My hope is that we can drop all the controversy and just treat each other like human beings and stop putting people under a magnifying glass like they are some weird creature.

Daniel1651

I love your phrase @Irma271 

"If you are a kind human with good character you are welcome!"

Thanks to share it ❤️

Jules155
Level 4
Banner Elk, NC

When someone books our cabin, I immediately send out a personal note letting them know we are excited to have them on the farm. I also ask if it's a special occasion so we can make the trip more memorable. The word guest means a person to whom hospitality is extended. And to be hospitable to ALL who enter is the truest form of civility and kindness. 

Daniel1651

Definitely, kind, close and open words to start a sincere conversation from the first moment. I like your recommendation, @Jules155 ❤️

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Bhumika 

Great topic! I include this in my listing description:

"In this house we believe black lives matter, science is real, and love is love. Kind people and well behaved dogs are always welcome in my home."

It's dangerous to say you don't see color, or, you downplay the need to proactively make the LQTBQ+ community feel welcome.

That's like seeing handicapped parking, and saying, "Well why isn't there parking designated for people without disabilities?! All people should be welcome to park here!" You understand that people with disabilities are at a disadvantage when it comes to navigating a world designed for able-bodied people, and thus, they need to be designated special spaces. You also realize, the rest of the entire parking lot is open to the able-bodied and you don't need to say it.

The world is not set up with systems that treat all people equally and until it is, those of us who are allies must be proactive about specifically setting up safe spaces.