Unauthorized guests and fees

Pamela1326
Level 1
Houston, TX

Unauthorized guests and fees

How do you handle unauthorized guests. I have a 5 guests home. After 3 guests, I have a $30 per additional guest fee. I’ve fun into problems about 25% of time, what do you do? I’m thinking g about removing the fee and going up to 6 guests, but I really want to maintain the quality of my home. I’m not trying to get rich, no a 60-70% occupancy works for me (averaging 45%). Do you think I should change things up? 

22 Replies 22

I love hosting and for me is not about how much more money I can make from each guest, but how can we make their experiences better. 

If we can give them earlier check-in, we do that at no additional charge.

For the joy of hosting 🙂

Oluwaseyi3
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

Here’s what I’ve done previously: You get more occupancy when guests are aware of the flexibility your apartment offers in terms of occupancy rules. I had a 2-bedroom apartment that can accommodate and sleep 5, and I don’t charge any additional fees as long as the occupancy doesn’t exceed 5. However, there’s a fine in place for each night an additional person sleeps in the apartment or when occupancy exceeds the specified capacity. The most important thing is having measures to enforce your rules. For enforcement, my properties have a reception. In addition to that, I have a smart doorbell and a smart occupancy sensor.

Although I could be flexible on occupancy based on the amount of time visitors spend in the apartment, I’m strict on sleepovers.

Hopefully, this information is useful.

Thanks.

Michelle2967
Level 2
Wilsonville, OR

I haven't enforced it in the past but my neighbor is complaining so I have just started requiring the contact info of all guests.  I'm using a guest registration form (name, phone, email)  that I email to the person making the reservation if they can't or won't add them to their booking reservation through AirBnB.  I state in my listing that all guests must provide contact information in case of emergency so it's not a surprise.  My house sleeps 9.  I charge an extra $10 per night per guest over 4 to pay for the extra cleaning and laundry so I can keep the base rate lower.  People have understated the number of guests to avoid the fee in the past and my neighbor has complained about parties so one of my rules (in addition to "no parties or events", is also that "for insurance reasons, only registered guests may be on the property."  We'll see how it goes.

I have a doorbell camera so it's easy to see how many people are there.  (don't forget to disclose your doorbell camera on your listing)

Rey3559
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

In my experience, to help avoid and handle unauthorized guests:

As a host, it is important to provide safety for both guest and your home.

Let the guests know that the space is your home and that guest allowance is to be able to be comfortable with in the space and for safety.

(Good to know: Some city and/or country, it is mandated for guest to announce their visit. You can google this and use this link to communicate with guests. In my case, I was able to find a reliable link and I add this link when communicating to guests. This helps to give guest a peace of mind that you are not here to steal their identity.)

There are 3 places where this can be mentioned for guests to see.

Place # 1: In the House Rules on Airbnb - add in that all guest must provide identification and no additional guests are allowed.

Place #2: Print the House Rules and place it inside the space where guests can easily see it.

Place #3: After booking is confirmed, 3-5 days prior to check-in, remind guest to provide identification documents. If you have the link mentioned above, you may place the link in this communication.

Nadia820
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

Great tip on asking for guest identification. I never knew we could request guests to send us their identification. I often face challenges when trying to ask questions like 'What brings you here?' or others that help me get to know them better."

To effectively handle unauthorized guests while preserving your property's quality, consider these concise strategies:
  1. Clear Guidelines: Ensure your listing explicitly mentions your guest policy and additional fees for extra guests.
  2. Inclusive Pricing: Adjust your rate to include the maximum number of guests (6), which can simplify the booking process and deter unauthorized visitors.
  3. Security Deposit: Use a refundable deposit as a safeguard against potential extra guest fees and to promote compliance with your policies.
  4. Proactive Communication: Regularly communicate with guests before and during their stay to remind them of the house rules and address any questions or concerns quickly.
In conclusion there are some applications that can help with security deposit, guest identity verification, the applications can also enhance communication between hosts and guest. You may also find this video helpful with relevant information 
Enri1804
Level 10
Yulee, FL

@Pamela1326  @Michael8417  after doing all the explaining to the guests, have you had any guests blatantly write to you - ignoring the rules?
I just had an upcoming guest message me back stating she’ll have 3 more adults (beyond her booking) but they’re not stay the entire week. I mean I just want to say, so you didn’t read or don’t intend of following the rules. She hasn’t offered to adjust the reservation or send a resolution payment that I mentioned. I guess I’ll just send it to her myself and see if she pays it…? I wish Airbnb would do more for hosts. 

Michael-Rhonda0
Level 1
Bakersfield, CA

We are very fortunate, as our listing is for a Room, which is away from the Main House..   We greet our Guests 99% of the time, so have never had problems.