Uploading passport photo

Answered!
Keith795
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

Uploading passport photo

Maybe too late to ask this but is uploading a photo of my ID safe.

I was booking a place in Slovakia and asked for it. Last time I used airbnb was last year and not asked for ID

Just wondering who has access to it and what it is for. Is it required for all bookings 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Keith795 I came across an Airbnb article about verifying your identity that says:  

The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws. Some regions have laws that require guests to register with local authorities. 

I hope this helps answer your question.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Keith795 I came across an Airbnb article about verifying your identity that says:  

The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws. Some regions have laws that require guests to register with local authorities. 

I hope this helps answer your question.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

I am a new host, already declined 2 suspicious guests, and wondering why Airbnb don't do their own ID check before accepting people on the platform. They say 'identity verified' but they only verify an email address and phone number - both of which can be 'disposable' and totally anonymous.

The technology is there to verify identity for real. Why don't they use it?