When a guests stays 14 days, do I clean his room during the stay?

Josephine266
Level 2
Gzira, Malta

When a guests stays 14 days, do I clean his room during the stay?

When a guest stays 14 nights, do I clean and change the bed and towels after 7 days? 

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Josephine266 we do for 2 reasons. Firstly linen gets stained if used for too long and secondly we get to see that the place is being looked after. We do give the guest the choice as to whether we change the linen when they are there or when they are out. It's about 50/50 on that choice.

@Mike-And-Jane0,

Your rentals a pretty spacious.  Are you cleaning them during longer stays?  Or, are you just turning over the towels and linens?

@Josephine266,

My rentals vary in size.  The two bedroom apartments have full size washer and dryers, and the guests are responsible for cleaning the linen and towels during their stay.  Thus far, I've not have had any that were soiled/stained so badly that they needed to be replaced.  My suites are the size of studios, and have compact washers, spin dryers and air drying racks.  The towels will fit in the washer, but I provide clean sheets every week.  Again, nothing has needed to be thrown out.

@Debra300 Just towels and linen. We've got our first month long stay with, as yet, no discussion on what the guests are expecting. Previous longish stays (not Airbnb) we agree to do linen and towels and guests would clean.

I don't think we realise just how big our places are. Most rooms are 4.5m square! I guess thats how they built them in the 1850s

@Mike-And-Jane0,

I've observed that our guests who are staying long-term fully unpack and have a lot of their personal belongings laying around the rental, and the space has varying levels of the "lived-in" look.  I prefer not to offer cleaning during long-term stays, because I don't want to navigate through the guest's personal belongings.  I do get an opportunity to check on the general condition of the rental after about two weeks when I replenish things like toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, laundry and household cleaning supplies.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Josephine266   YES.  You want to be sure that your property is being treated well, and you want to make sure that your guest is having an exemplary experience.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes. I change towels after five days. 

Josephine266
Level 2
Gzira, Malta

Perfect thank you again, so sheets every 7 days and towels every 5👍

@Josephine266   When offering a private room in a homeshare, I don't recommend entering the guests' bedroom during the stay, unless interim housekeeping is explicitly mentioned in your listing. Instead, just supply fresh towels as needed, and a change of linens for the guests to make their own beds.

Your listings could use a lot more detail in the written descriptions, especially about how many other people are sharing the home, and whether it's shared with other guests, the hosts, or both. Hosts of Private Room listings are responsible for making sure the shared spaces are clean, though it's normal to ask guests to tidy up after themselves when using them.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hi

I’m new to hosting so for my first long-term stay (example 2 weeks), I will provide 2 sets of bed linen and towels for guests. Honestly, I don’t want to enter the unit during their stay unless it’s an emergency, and for safety reasons. Also, I don’t want a guest saying anything of their’s was missing or broken.  Also, upon arrival, I’d let guests know that there are plenty of cleaning supplies, garbage bags, etc., a vacuum cleaner, and broom and dustpan if they wish to tidy up the space themselves. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Josephine266 

I now only host long term stays (mostly one month+) but, previously, yes I would offer to clean a guest's room/change linens and towels half way through a two week stay (make sure to supply enough towels to last until then). Most guests seemed very happy with this but some would say it's not necessary.

With my long term guests, I give them the choice of having me do this every couple of weeks, for a small fee, or they can do it themselves and I supply them with extra sets of linens, towels and cleaning materials. The problem with the latter is that a lot of guests say they will do it themselves and then don't.

I don't want to have to throw away bedlinens because the guests let them get too grubby or to find nasty surprises in the room after the guest checks out, so I do encourage guests to opt in for the cleaning by keeping the cost very low. I'd rather have the peace of mind. Failing that, I'll keep an eye on them (easy to do being a homeshare host) and gently remind them if I think they are not washing anything.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

PS, as a homeshare host with private rooms in my own house, the above only applies to the guest bedrooms. I have cleaners who come in and do the communal areas weekly and then I try to keep them clean and tidy in between. That means that there is some daily cleaning involved of bathrooms, floors and especially the kitchen.

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

Like others here, we offer that. We don't get a lot of stays over 7 days, but we get plenty at the 7 mark.

After 4 nights, we offer a change of towels in the bathroom and fresh tea-towels for the kitchen. On day 7, we let guests know we'll need 2 hours of access to clean their cottage and change bed linen and towels again, or if they prefer, we can provide a basket of fresh linen for them to do it themselves. Both options get taken as we leave the decision with the guests.

Everybody values fresh sheets and towels, and as others have noted, you get the chance to ensure your place is being cared for.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@ Josephine 266 and charge a cleaning fee. Per week . apply for it after discussing it with your guests .That is if you usually charge a fee. We do the bathroom and kitchen bed linen and vacumning . Generally a full clean but just a little quicker . Its about trust so always know who was in the place and what time . This is another area where accusations could start to fly if someone decides to leave early . Also it is difficult to justify a price for an Airbnb if you are not doing maintenance and cleaning . Make sure everyones stuff is where it was when you saw it . Add washing baskets . Sometimes you will have to sort your towels out from theirs so mark them  and if you dont already , start counting linen a little note book is helpful Be professional and make sure all guests know your cleaning day and stick to it unless either side has to change it H