he Risk of Hosting long stays Cancellation policy Long-Term Stay: Fir\

Jill914
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

he Risk of Hosting long stays Cancellation policy Long-Term Stay: Fir\

he Risk of Hosting long stays

Airbnb's, Long Term cancellation policy applies to all stays of 28 days or longer and overrides our standard cancellation policy for those stays. The Long Term cancellation policy allows guests to cancel for a full refund only during the 48 hours after booking, and only if they cancel at least 28 days before check-in.
If a guest cancels after that, you’ll get 100% for all nights spent, plus 30 additional nights. If fewer than 30 days remain on the reservation at the time the guest cancels, you’ll get paid 100% for all remaining nights.

1. The Aibnb guests arrived at my home on July15, 2024 with two large dogs 60- 90 pounds that were not on the reservation.

2. The reservation was a three and a half month reservation , subject to a long term cancellation policy
3. The guests would not agree to modify the reservation or did not want to pay a pet fee or deposits; I contacted Airbnb to help

4. The guests fabricated a “Trust and Safety” complaint . Th guests complained said I should not have been there at check-in and would not have known of the dogs. They said I “popped in” although I live in Chicago and never returned to the property after checkin except for a mailbox repair.

5. I cooperated with the investigation and provided our written privacy policy W

6. My istings were suspended during the Investigation and we lost a $3,500 booking which we could see but not accept .

7. My home is so  badly damaged. 

9. In violation its own investigation results and policy, Arbnb sent the guest who were in violation a $3,800 refund to be charged against our payouts.  

11. We are forced to host and check guests to other properties knowing we won’t receive compensation because we have $3,800 to the guests with the dogs… this is sohumiating

14. We have to pay get the damages to our property repaired to submit redciepts  Aribnb/l

i feel so stupid and exploited.

After seven years and as a current superhost, i cannot do this 

I eel stupid and betrayed 
1 Reply 1

I'm really sorry to read your story and hope it does not happen to us. 

If your listing is "entire place", guest may be entitled to a certain amount of privacy preventing hosts from arriving on the property without notice except for emergencies. 

If the listing is a "shared place" guest are not entitled to 100% privacy in all areas of the property.

Did you notify the guests in advance that you would be arriving on the property?

Does your listing state you meet guests at check-in or do you promote a "self check-in" process? 

If self check-in, guests do not expect to meet the host at check-in and doing so could invade their expected privacy. 

As hosts, we have to be extra extra careful to ensure that the guest expectations regarding privacy are not only met, but exceeded. 

Once again, I'm sorry this happened.