should you rent to someone who has one bad review?

should you rent to someone who has one bad review?

I received a rental request from a guest that has a total of 7 reviews with one review that says the guest left the house dirty.  Their other reviews short with no complaints but given as a host it can be risky to leave a bad guest review not sure if I  should be reassured by them. Any advice on renting to a guest with one red flag review would be greatly appreciated.  Also, they've already asked for a late check out as well.  Thank you!

6 Replies 6
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Bad review as in...what? 4 stars? 3 stars?

For me, if they have 6 good reviews, and 1 bad review, I'd be okay with that unless that bad review is the most recent one. 

Thank you!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Noorhayati0 Hosts views of what qualifies as 'dirty' vary massively. Occasionally we had crumbs left everywhere in the lounge but whilst it looks bad it needs hoovering even if there are no crumbs so we wouldn't mark the guest down.

I wouldn't worry too much if it is only 1 in 7.

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Noorhayati0 😊

Thank you for asking this question here!

Did you decide to accept this reservation?
Our Host shared great advice with you. Did you get a chance to review it?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts! 

Warm regards 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

I decided to not rent. Oddly the person withdrew their rental request and the sent another request under a different profile name.  

So @Noorhayati0  how did you handle the second request??  So curious if you also declined that request also.?? I am fairly sure if you decline many request often it could prove to be a disadvantage for your placement on the platform. 

I would have looked at the 7 reviews and when they were happening....also I would have considered that often times guests travel with different people and many times their friends are not so tidy and that can prove a problem for someone that had a perfect record but had one in their group that was really messy and the main guest didn't make sure to tidy up, or check on all their friends on the stay. Did they have a late flight out and that's why they asked for a late checkout?? What is your check out time? 

I've moved check out time from 11 to 12.....and I changed my check in time to 2pm. 

Many traveling arrive earlier and if its possible having to wait till 4-5 pm seems so late in a new place for many, myself included when traveling. Most of my guest arrive later and leave earlier so its never been an issue, but I can open the times, so I thought WHY NOT? 

Keep us posted on how hosting turns out.

Happy Hosting,

Clara@116