Searching for your Instant Book Listing

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Searching for your Instant Book Listing

For Instant Book listings where the Host has designated that a guest must have recommendations from other hosts in order to book instantly, here is what happens when the Instant Book filter is ON or OFF.  By User I mean both hosts and guests doing the search. 

Instant Book Filter ON: 

- Listing will not appear if the user is not logged in

- Listing will not appear if the user is logged in but does not meet the requirement for recommendations from other hosts or does not have any reviews. Only IB listings without the requirement will be displayed in results.

- All IB listings will appear to users who are logged in and meet the requirement. 

Instant Book filter OFF:

- Listing will appear as non-IB listing if user is not logged in.

- Listing will appear as non-IB listing if the user is logged in but does not meet requirement (must send Reservation Request to        host).

- Listing will appear as an IB listing for users who meet the requirement and will be able to book instantly. 

The overriding principle here is that Airbnb will not show IB listings with the requirement that users have recommendations from other hosts if the user does not meet that requirement.  These listings will either not be shown in results or will be shown as regular non-IB listings depending on whether the IB filter is set to ON or OFF.  

Of course, those users who meet the requirement and are logged in will see all IB listings  ( with and without the requirement) regardless of whether the IB filter is set to ON or OFF. 

15 Replies 15
Eiley0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Whoa! Are you saying that people who don't meet the requirements won't see the listing at all??

I have IB on, but I thought that it meant those who don't meet the requirements have to be approved before they can book.

If this is correct, I think I'll have to turn IB off.

@Clare0

Thank you for posting this and I am glad it is being added to the Guides collection.

I am interested in @Eiley0's question also - and if it isn't too late - would you be able to answer this specific point -

For our listings on IB - and with the added qualifier of positive reviews and/or gov ID - does that mean our listing will never be shown to any Airbnb 'newbies' or general public searching dates or location?

Many Thanks,

Rachael

@Rachael26  and @Eiley0The key here is whether the guest has set the IB filter in search to ON or OFF.   

With the filter ON, your listing will not appear at all to anyone who is not logged in (even if they meet the requirement, without being logged in, the system can't tell if the guest meets the requirement) or a guest who is logged in but does not meet the requirement. 

Only guests who are logged in and meet the requirement will see your listing with the IB filter ON.

With the IB filter OFF, only those who are logged in and meet the requirement will see your listing as an IB listing and will be able to book instantly.  All others will see your listing but without the IB icon, meaning that they would have to send you a reservation request so you can decide if you want to host the guest or not.

@Eiley0 No, I'm not saying that guests will not be able to see your listing at all.  Rather, with the requirement to have recommendations from hosts, only guests who qualify will be able to see your listing in search results when the IB filter is set to ON.  (I.e. guests who want to book instantly.)   With the IB filter set to ON, there is no point in showing an IB listing to those who don't qualify. 

So let's say I'm a first time Airbnb user and I want to book instantly a listing.  I do a search with the IB filter ON.  Since I don't have any reviews yet, I don't meet the requirement for recommendations from hosts.  The only listings I would see are those IB listings which do not have the requirement.  With the IB filter OFF I would see all listings that otherwise meet my filter selections.  Those listings with IB enabled without the requirement will still show as IB listings.   Those IB listings with the requirement will still be available for me to book, but I would have to send a reservation request instead of being able to book instantly. 

I know this is confusing, so please let me know if you have more questions. 

@Clare0

Not confusing, you explain it well and thank you for taking the time to do so!

Just one more if you don't mind. Do you have any idea if Airbnb 'automatically' start the guests search with the IB filter ON..... or OFF?

(you know, like for new hosts when they first design their listing, they are sometimes 'automatically' placed onto IB without maybe realising it.. it is just set as the default until changed.......)

Many Thanks.

@Rachael26  For a while, and I'm not sure if it is continuing or where it might continue, Airbnb set the search default for IB ON.  For me on the west coast this is not happening anymore.  How about you?

@Rachael26 Well, now that I've said that the IB filter was off, I just did a search for my area to evaluate my pricing and lo and behold the IB filter was set to ON.  That said, there was a pop up that alerted me that it was set to ON.  At least it is brought to my attention.  I guess the default for IB depends on location.  🙂

@Clare0

Thank you! I do believe it is default to IB everywhere (with the pop-up, yes) - but who knows? and who can keep up with the changes?

Smile, & Onwards and Upwards! 😉

Best Wishes.

Yes, this is the right explanation.  The real issue here is that IB listing are far and away the ones that most often appear on page one.  Without IB, you end up way down the list and the traveler doesn't even see your property, even with Superhost status.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great overview @Clare0. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with the community. 

I have added this to our amazing Community Guides list (it is great to see your name there)! 🙂 Plus, I have also added a link from @Jeet0's guide: Why can't I find my listing in search?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Anne-And-Barry0
Level 2
Whangārei, New Zealand

I have been hosting for 5 years now and have just turned on Instant booking. 

My first IB booking was on the same day coming in a few hours. Wow that is not going to work when I'm working so I have put on the IB with a 1 days notice.

Does this mean guest can't see my place on the same day and then seek my approval ?

In other words if they are looking on say a Saturday can  see my booking on on the same day?

Because if that excludes on the day bookings then IB is not going to work for me any way. I can't be available 24/7.

Cheers Anne 

@Anne-And-Barry0 It depends.  If the guest has turned on the Instant Book filter when searching (indicating that they want to book right now), then no, they would not see your listing if they are seeking a same day reservation and you have set a 1 day notice.  If the guest does not have the IB filter on in the search function, they would still see your lisiting, but without the ability to book instantly.  They would have to send you an Inquiry or Reservation Request and await your approval first.  This might work for you after all! 

Hi. I am very new to Airbnb so my question is with the whole IB thing a am i going to have more guest see my home if its on or off? Kind of confusing. Thanks for the help.

Priscilla46
Level 4
Concord, MA

Airbnb says if I use IB I can cancel a reservation request I am not comfortable with - which is why advance discussion is helpful. But I amd starting to get it. What I don't get is airbnb says I can also cancel an IB if guests don't follow house rules. By then they are already IN my house. So how does that work?  I throw them out?  

@Priscilla46. If the guest is already in you home and is breaking house rules to the point you want them out, you should contact Airbnb for guidance.  

The cancellation policy that says you can cancel if the guest breaks house rules refers to a guest who, say, booked instantly and then informed you he was bringing a dog and your house rules says "Not suitable for pets".  This is just an example of a guest breaking a house rule before arrival.  

Hope that clarifies things!