A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143
Josh37
Level 1
Chapel Hill, NC

I love this list idea and it would be helpful if it was categorized into essentials and other suggestions that guests may enjoy/appreciate, but are not essential. 

I aim to provide essentials that guests need and expect when renting a house.  For the bathroom, this includes hand and body soap, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, Kleenex, lots of clean towels and a blow dryer.     Guests don’t require or expect much more than that.  Providing many small non-essentials takes focus away from the more important things that do require and expect, like a very clean house, clean sheets and towels, clear and timely communication.

Hello everyone,
I have updated the list: A list of things Airbnb hosts often forget

so now it's even more complete.

It's categorized and it has always been 🙂

Let's add more..I am sure in the meantime we got new ideas.

Here's mine:

Air conditioning meter: a small electricty meter to check abuse.

We have this and in the House Manual write:

"Feel free to use the air conditioning and stay fresh at all time.
But please turn it off when you're not home, it gets fresh quickly when you come back.
Also, please don't leave windows open and air con running at the same time.
We have installed an air conditioning counter to spot any abuse and will require an extra payment in case this happens."

and...it works! No abuse (*) so far 

Hi All,
The list seems pretty mature by now!

https://goo.gl/XS7EHf

Feel free to use it and suggest more ideas.

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks for the list, @Luca4

I have a comment about furniture:

If you rent out a whole house, say for 12 people, make sure there is a dining table with 12 chairs (indoors for winter lets), and easy chairs/sofas for 12.   And show this in a photo.  (I had to reject many properties when searching for a property for our extended family last Christmas because the dining table sat only 8 people and the only large table was a garden-style one outside or in the garage.)

In a large house, provide storage space for food for 12 people.  It's lovely to have endless cupboards full of appliances and equipment, but I don't want my non-fridge food sitting on the floor in supermarket bags when there is no storage space.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Luca

Openers

1. Bottle

2. Can

3.wine

Regards

Cormac

The Explorers Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Luca4

in Croatia if you are applying to get short term rental licence you will get a long list with all basic amenities, furniture and things you should have in your rental depends of the category you can get ( 3*, 4* or  5*) It is not always possible and practical to meet all of those requirements especially in transit destinations with 1-2 nights average stay, but we all more or less respect the list and it is usefull guideline for new hosts.

Of course, most hosts will provide much more to make their guests feels welcomed and confortable.

However, some things you were suggested to add on your list like aluminuim fire blankets, nail clippers, razors etc.... are ridiculous.  They are guests not the refugees! There is a grocery store near by .

I think ridicolous is too strong, in some cases extras like disposable razors are adding a lot of value with very little expense.
I guess it's up to each one of us to decide wether they are worth it or not according to the rental, type of guests and location.

There is a grocery store near by .

There is a grocery store near by....what?  Every single Airbnb in the world?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Luca4,

It is great to see you back in the CC, I hope you are well and have had a good few months. 🙂

It is fantastic to see this discussion still going and it has rekindled again. 

Thanks again to everyone for sharing. As the list is pretty long now, it is unlikely that everything listed is relevant to everyone, but it is I think it is really handy to have a list to run through and pick and choose things we might be nice to have on hand. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Bedroom: trashcan, Kleenex, bed 2 kinds of pillows, selection of blankets..down, cotton, foam, cotton sheets, reading lights, luggage rack,.

Bathroom:  lots of TP, glasses, aspirin,antacid,menstrual pads, tooth brush,floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, Kleenex in every room, baby powder, eyedrops, extra towels, liquid hand and body soap, shampoo, conditioner, squeegee for tile, sewing kit, hair dryer, first aid kit nil file, hair gel, shaving cream, razors, qtips.

Livingroom:  trashcan,  charging dock, string, scotchtape, scissors, notebad, pen, city map and bus schedule, tourist brochures, books, Kleenex, candy bowl, mirror, Blue tooth speaker and a good radio and TV with Netflix and Amazon.

Kitchen: decent cookware and enough of it,  enough glasses and dishes, electric and French press coffee makers, snack variety, rolls, jam, butter, cramcheese, decent coffee, fruit, dishcloths, as well as mosquito repellent and a torch.  Mop, small vacuum cleaner, supplies easy to identify.

Add a small fan that can be moved around aids both comfort and the utility bill.

I figured it out a while back and I have about $65 worth of food and bits and pieces sitting around at any time, but the joke is that only a very few use any of it including the beer and 2 kinds of wine I provide.  As a result of this apparent bounty, I charge about 30% more than anyone around me and according to Abnb, am booked about 10% more.