A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Marika0 I guess this is not the right thread for your question?

Thomas9
Level 2
Austin, Texas, United States

I've had several people use my place for business related trips or conventions.  An iron board and iron is a need for them. 

The iron & ironing board are also necessary when your house in often rented by folks coming to town for family weddings, reunions, & funerals.

Ireen0
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Nice idea to create this list! I've added an extra mirror in the bedroom and and an additional (long) extension cord with multiple sockets. Most guests bring multiple devices they need to upload - they're also glad they do not have to go to the bathroom everytime they want to do their makup e.g.

Ireen0
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Nice idea to create this list! I've added an extra mirror in the bedroom and and an additional (long) extension cord with multiple sockets. Most guests bring multiple devices they need to upload - they're also glad they do not have to go to the bathroom everytime they want to do their makup e.g.

Kara1
Level 6
Valley City, ND

This is a list of items guests suggested when I first started many years ago:

-  More than one pillow so they can lounge and read in bed.  I now have 3 pillows per person, a soft, a medium, and a firm.

-  A nightstand and lamp on each side of the bed so they can both read in bed.   

***This is a dealbreaker for us if we are looking for a place to stay.  If I cannot see a nightstand on each side of the bed, or at least the space to put a small table or chair we saw in the photos to take from another room, we do not even consider that particular listing or hotel.  Without my glasses, I am blind - as in if my glasses are accidently knocked on the floor I often cannot find them myself.  Because of this, they are not taken off until after I am in bed, so I need somewhere within easy reach to lay them.   My husband has to travel with his CPAP breathing machine so he needs a table or chair on his side of the bed also.

-  A wastepaper basket and box of Kleenex in each room rather than just in the kitchen, the bathroom, and in the upstairs hallway.    

-  A small fan in each room - both for 'white noise' to block unfamiliar sounds and I'm surprised with how many people like to have  air blowing on them while sleeping.

-  Iron & ironing board, hair dryer (and I also added a large & small curling iron I no longer use)

-  Small paper cups in the bathroom.  I also added cotton swabs, cotton pads & makeup remover cloths, a couple safety pins & some hair pins.

-  A chain lock on the inside of each room.   Because we have an old house I was not about to change out all our antique door knobs   for modern locking ones.  We were also not willing to drill holes inour old doors to be able to install deadbolt locks on each room.

-  At least one spare blanket per bed.

-  I am surprised how many guests we have had who also have CPAPs, oxygen concentrators, or other medical equipment, so I have also added a power strip and/or grounded extension cords in each room so there will be at least 2 easy to reach outlets available per person besides the lamp(s), clock radio and fan that we put in the rooms.

I know there were a few other things requested early on that I cannot think of right now.

I do have a basket on a table in the hall with an extra ceiling light bulb as well as spare bedside lamp bulb, a lint brush, and a baggie with small spools of white, black, red, light blue, and tan thread, small scissors, and a couple sewing needles and pins.  There is also a plug in nightlight in the bathroom, upstairs and downstairs halls, and in the kitchen as well as one in the basket if someone wants one in their room.

On the question of what sort of bath mats people use, I have a rubber mat in the tub (that gets changed each day if we have unrelated people staying rather than a family) and for when you get out of the tub I have one of these for each room.   

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foam+bath+mat&rh=i%3A...    

I chose machine washable/dryable ones that I just throw in with the towels.  They have a nice thick rubbery backing that seems to hold up well as mine are several years old & still on good condition.  They do not shed lint onto the plush towels like the cheaper thicker towel type mats and dry much faster than the heavy towel types.  My sheets, towels and bath mat match each room, shades of blue and yellow in the blue room, tan and sage green in the green room, etc.  That way people know for sure which is their towel if they accidently leave it in the bathroom or hang it on the large towel rack in the hall, rather than on the hooks in their own room.  Color coordinating also helps on the rare occasion I need to have a friend come in to do the cleaning, and even for me makes things go faster since each room has different size beds, we do not have to spend time searching for the little tag on the corner of the sheets to see what size it is.  If it is some shade of blue or yellow sheet it is queen size,  If it is sage or tan it is an extra long twin, etc.

Our rental is a 100 year old house, 2 houses over from the 120 year old house that we live in.  The 3 rooms are rented individually or as the whole house, so we have 4 listings for the one building.

amazing @Kara1! Thank you so much.
I included most of them in the list https://goo.gl/XS7EHf

I loved especially the color codes on towels and sheets.

@Luca4   Thank you!

2 other items I forgot to mention that are in the basket in the hall are a couple small but extra bright flashlights and a spare phone charger with an adapter cord for 4 of the most popular phones and tablets.

Similar to this.   http://www.amazon.com/Gembonics-Premium-Quality-Charging-Connector/dp/B00USB1D20/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&...

@Kara1: thanks a lot! we had this already but you helped us improve it with the cord thing. Added!

@Lizzie0: fantastic! I'll put now even more effort into it 🙂

@Lisa: thanks for the luggage rack, added!

@Charles : yes, you are right. It has already grown in a more comprehensive list. We may need to change the name when it's actually complete. For now it doesn't include the "obvious" ones such as "plates", "pots and pans" etc...for which I think also a suggestions on numbers is needed (e.g if capacity is 4 people provide 8 glasses  so when 2 get broken you don't need to run and buy similar ones)

@Anita: toothbrush holder wa already there, thanks anyway!

@Helga0: nice idea with the reading glasses. Pardon my ignorance: don't they have to be of the right graduation to be useful? I mean they could be too strong or weak?

@Marcie1: good one thanks!

Ok, since it's been featured in the Community center homepage we're getting many double suggestions, I think it's because the list is now long to read and also not linked everywhere.
It's good to see them anyway as sometimes they are improvements on the suggestion (as with Kara and the phone charger) and they make us understand what is more important (I move them upper in the list).
So, feel free to just write what comes to your mind!

anyway, here's the list:
https://goo.gl/XS7EHf

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Luca4,

I hope you are well.

It is fantastic to see how this list has grown over the past couple of months here. May it long continue to be added to...

(Just to highlight, this thread is now being featured on the Community Center homepage!) 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Kara1, we seem have a lot of the same ideas for the bedroom / beds anywhere. I added some wall sockets this Summer and connected to the lamps directly to free a socket, as people usually connect a fan, a phone charger and something else. And put a box of Kleenex beside each bed / couch and reading glasses everywhere. It's annoying if you have left yours beside the computer and want to read in bed. I prefer a slightely different lens over getting out of bed and going down again. If my guests are very young, I store them, but if they are over 40, I disperse them everywhere. 

I found a flat iron for hair for 5 Euros on sales and added that with the hair dryer as young people usually want to have the hair straight not curly.

Glasses everywhere, no paper cups. 

Lots of spices in the kitchen. It's annoying if you have to cook with salt and pepper only. Some people get inspired and try very hard to leave me one spice I did not have or leave me a very spicy dish in the freezer. That is really nice, as it is sometimes amazing what someone else can do with your stuff. 

As I'm using the apartments myself, the kitchen is fully stocked anyway. But I would think some hot sauce and mustard are basics with the sugar. 

Lisa10
Level 3
New Orleans, LA

A guest recently pointed out that she would have loved a suitcase rack so her luggage didn't need to sit on the floor. Never staying in my own home with luggage, I'd never thought of that! I appreciated her suggestion and bought an inexpensive rack on amazon.

Charles5
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Great idea, Luca. Perhaps the goal should be to list everything that is needed as opposed to what is forgotten/missing.

In the era of liquid soap, the soap holder may no longer be necessary. Of course if bar soap is supplied then it is necessary.

For the bathroom I would also recommend:

1. Tooth brush, tooth paste, mouth wash and dental floss

2. House Slippers 

Great job. Let's keep it going!

Carlos-and-Anita0
Level 3
Cancún, Mexico

Toothbrush holder

I provide not only salt and pepper, but also oil and vinegar so that they can make a simple salad.

As there is a dvd player, I also provide dvd's borrowed from my local library at no cost.