A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143
Iris1
Level 1
Fairfield, California, United States

I appreciate hearing 'the often forgotten items' - so thanks.

Other essentials I'm told: a desk just big enough for computer (lap top).

@Luca4 thanks for this post.

In my apartament I have sleepers and Iphone charged in each room as well.

And in the toilet a hair iron too.

And in the kitchen a cleaning kit, with dishwasher tablets and cleaning products in general.

😉

Mayka

Suzanne3
Level 2
Austin, TX

Happy to see I already do the things on the original list!

Suzanne P
The Urban Suburban
Austim
Donna3
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I have a glass designed for toothbruses on the sink.  They have a place for their TB and a glass to rinse their mouth.  Hooks on the wall so the towels can dry.  Extra TP, laundry hamper, night lite

All the above sounds really great, but....  does all of this also apply for short term stays?  For example:  I rent out 2 rooms in my appartment in touristic area of Petra, Jordan.  My guests never stay longer than 1 or 2 nights. I don't see myself supplying new touth brushes and welcome baskets, etc. etc. every time? 

Maybe there should be different list of things to supply for guests for hosts:

One list for entire apartment for long stays

Other list for rooms for short stays

It's just a thought.  

I rent my apartment for few days and I'll give to my guess toothbrush every change.
I only have short time rental.....only holidays.
If I have one night I'll give the same than one week.

@Mayka0 - WOUW, I would recommend you for Super Host !  😉

I am going to check on the prices of tooth brushes soon. 

Hahahaha.
You can increase the prices only a little bit and give you more services..
Is an option.....😉

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0 @Mayka0 -- I have a two night minimun and supply all guests with individual size shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap. In the bathroom cabinet I have tooth brush, tooth paste, cotton swabs, small first aid kit, razor, etc. Things a traveler might forget.  Some guests use everything, others nothing.

Of course, there are plenty of towels and a hair dryer in the bathroom too.

Hope this helps -- Lia

-- Lia -- Happy Hosting!

Thanks Lia, but I often have guests staying just for 1 night. For 24 USD per person (including breakfast) and just 5 USD cleaning fee there is not so much space for all those extra's.

I have always shower gell, shampoo, soap and body lotion available for my guests. But that's it. 

A nightlight is essential for navigating at night down the staircase to the bathroom on the first floor.  I also note that my HDTV's HDMI can accommodate their ROKU system to view movies via my Internet connection. 

Barbara9
Level 2
North Richland Hills, TX

Add the rubber mat in the bathtub or provide cheap flip flops.

Čestmír0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

I provide two umbrellas - the weather is unpredictable and the umbrella is easy to forget.

Allison3
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Thank you so much for this list! 

I think I also leave a case of charger cables (for both iPhone and android), razors and tampons.

Trash can is definitely necessary but I only leave a small one so the guests won't accumulate too much in there or leave food in there for too long.

Marika0
Level 1
River Forest, Illinois, United States

Luca, i got my first offer for my condo in Athens Greece, i included a $40 cleaning fee.  Once the renter accepts my offer, does airbnb ask for the additional $40 from the client up front so when i get paid it includes the $40?