A list of things Hosts often forget

Luca4
Level 5
Venice, Italy

A list of things Hosts often forget

Hi everyone!,

I travelled in apartments long before Airbnb even existed and I keep, to this day, noticing that often some basic stuff is missing.

This is especially common in apartments where the host never lived.

So I am making a list of things hosts often forget and I will share  with the community it when ready.

I'd be great if you could help with comments and suggestions!

Some of these may sound obvious but, believe me, they are really missing very often.

I'm starting with the bathroom:

BATHROOM

1) Soap holder in shower: really uncomfortable when missing. Guests need to leave shampoo and soap on the floor.
2) Hair dryer: some people need it and it's a deal breaker. Not every one has space in the luggage for it.

3) Trash bin: is missing it’s either a trip to the kitchen or stuff left around the bathroom.

4) Bathroom mat/carpet: when this is not available, guests often end up using regular towels on the floor, spoiling them.

What do you think? Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Luca

143 Replies 143
Liz1
Level 2
United Kingdom

Helpful list Luca! Thanks. Other ideas?
Some information about public transport in the area, nearest bus stop etc?
Water glasses in the bedroom.
Hope these help.
Liz

Hey Liz,

sure, right now I am bulding the bathroom and when done I'll share it.

But since you suggested I'll add these in the other sections already thanks! 🙂

Luca

@Clare: nice,thanks a lot!
@Lana0: thanks for the insight!
@Rebecca: I realized I used the wrong word, I actually meant bath mat towels!
@Sara: thanks!
@Short-Term-Stays0: thanks for the informative link!

Hi Liz,

I'm looking tools/apps/resources to help me in my host role but have not found anything out there that meets my needs. I was wondering how you usually provide helpful information about the area? Do you provide a map? Do most of your guests have dataplans on their phones so they can look up your recommendations on the go?

Water glasses are in the bedroom are a good idea!

Soo

Also in the bathroom - I often forget to put the disposable cups in there. I think I might get the dispenser.

You can add a Guidebook to your listing.  I list local restaurants, wineries, places of interest, etc.  Once completed, a guest can look on the map associated with your listing to where these places are.  In addition, you can write in the comment area why you recommend the particular place, like, "Joes Place Restaurant:  the place locals go for the best breakfast in town!".

Maryam-Al-Fakheer0
Level 10
Ma'an Governorate, Jordan

If you put water glasses in the bedroom, does that also mean you have to provide bottled water for free? Because that would be the next thing the guest would ask for. 

I provide the plastic water glasses and 2 or three complimentary mini-bottles water. I do not replenish once those are gone.

No, don't offer bottled water, so bad for the environment. Unless of course the water in your location tastes bad. 

Hi Soo,
I provide my guests with a Welcome Note some weeks before they arrive which explains how to check in (I'm letting out a whole flat) travel options for getting to the flat, some basic info about using the flat and info. about getting round town, nearby eating places etc. The same information is provided in the flat on a laminated sheet (minus how to get to the flat as they're already there!) . I also have an A to Z and loads of tourist info. I wouldn't say I have got all this right yet but I think it's important to get good info to people BEFORE they arrive. Was impressed by the list of things gs one person leaves out. Sounds v expensive tho.

PS I tell people about a useful app for local buses but whether they use it I don't know.

Hi Soo,
I provide my guests with a Welcome Note some weeks before they arrive which explains how to check in (I'm letting out a whole flat) travel options for getting to the flat, some basic info about using the flat and info. about getting round town, nearby eating places etc. The same information is provided in the flat on a laminated sheet (minus how to get to the flat as they're already there!) . I also have an A to Z and loads of tourist info. I wouldn't say I have got all this right yet but I think it's important to get good info to people BEFORE they arrive. Was impressed by the list of things gs one person leaves out. Sounds v expensive tho.

I have throw away cups, not in bedroom, but in bathrooms - leave a few for each guest

Suzanne P
The Urban Suburban
Austim