Air-conditioning control and cost

Air-conditioning control and cost

New listing of a two bedroom, plus two pullout queen sleep sofas.  So accommodates 8.  It has been very hot in Florida, in the mid 90's.  We had guests for 11 days who kept setting the thermostat at 68 or 67.  At that temp, the unit could freeze and also runs 24/7, NEVER getting down to that temp based on the outside temperatures.  They would leave for 15 hours, and have the air-conditioning running nonstop.  Our electric bills will be through the roof, let alone the 24/7 wear on the unit.  How can we handle this?  We are ok with it being around 70-74 or higher, but it should not be more than 20 degrees lower than the outside temp.  So if it's 96 outside, the thermostat should not be below 76 or the unit will lock up.   If we lock it at a certain temp, our guests could be uncomfortable.  Thanks

5 Replies 5
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Denise1406

I am in Arizona so I haven't heard the rule about  a 20 degree limit since we were 1115 yesterday wouldn't work haha.

We have  found that mmanny like us , we moved here 4 years ago, just don't really  comprehend     that   central air systems inn  Arizona do have different rules then what  most guests are familiar  with  window units and  they have no   idea of expenses and delays  if broken.  We tried the polite but very firm encouragement  still  didn't get my message out haha.

We have the air now with       smart  controls so I  can control on  my phone.  Personally I    don't give them  a set temperature,  just avoiding you said 70 and it is 71..  haha

I have  mostly   business clients who are gone all   day. So  with the app  my  husband  just set up a   schedule  using our light company's rate schedule so peak in  the early day   no  one home 73 rates go down like 1pm  to 5 pm  our air runs at 70 to  cool off house, rates are peak  5 pmm  to 99 pm  it runs 73 at 9 pm  to 6 am it  runs 68  everyone likes cooler  when  sleeping lol.

I do  disclose I control  a comfortable temperature but if uncomfortable let's discuss  options.

Thanks so much.  Its just $400 electric bills are crazy!  We control it as well, while they are out.  

@Denise1406 

Haha In Arizona $400 air conditioning bill is cheap lol  I  did solar  but I   still have to watch them,  they have no idea of  costs to repair

Hi,

I recently setup a minimum on the Smart thermostat and also use both the schedule and Home/Away features. When no one is home it will return to 73. Also at 11pm.  The minimum temperature is 68. So far this is working well. If someone says it's too hot in the home on heatwave days, I can just go in the app and lower the minimum temp remotely temporarily. 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Denise1406  Oh the joys of hosting in south Florida in the summer time..I can't wait for summer to be over.  

I have 7 units in Florida and every summer its a battle of wits with guests and the AC.  Not so much from in state guests as they get it, however the northerners and mid westerners want to turn the unit into an igloo and then head to the beach for the day 😒

I have been using Nest E learning thermostats.  We don't use the learning feature however I am able to lock the thermostat so the guest can't go any lower than 69 and a high of 79 becuase not everyone wants to be freezing, myself included.  

Nest also has the eco mode feature so that when the unit is vacant the temp will rise to a warmer temp and will then come on at their set temp when they return.  This is saved a lot on electricity but also wear and tear on the systems.  When the heat index is 105 and they turn it to 69 the AC just runs and runs never getting below 72. 

I did stop using the ECO mode in this heat beacuse if the unit goes up to 75 while they are away and the want it at 69 it will take forever to get it to temp.  I just keep an eye on it and when its set to 70 and the unit is vacant I will raise it up a bit so it can shut off and have a breather. 

After replacing 2 systems for 8K each, I got the Nests becuase if you don't control it they will try to set it to 55 and have the sliding glass doors open.  

Some hosts like the Ecobee which is similar I believe.  Defintiely look into getting something before your AC gives out. 

Karen