All about linen and bedding sets

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All about linen and bedding sets

Linen.png

Hello everyone,

A topic that we talk about fairly regularly here in the Community Center is around how to manage linens and bed sheets, especially when it comes to providing them, changing them and washing them. We also see hosts ask what colour linen others think are the most welcoming, but also the most managable when used regularly.

There are quite a lot of different solutions that hosts adopt, many of which are based on the type of accomodation you offer, but one of common concerns is around controlling costs. Perhaps you have a plan of how often you change the bedding and replace it, perhaps you have little tips like applying a mattress cover to help prevent ware, perhaps you choose to wash your linen at a certain temperature to make them last longer.

How can you offer an excellent service and keep in budget at the same time? 

Please share your tips on how to manage linens and bed sheets, and get inspired by the solutions suggested by other hosts. Please give a “thumbs up” on your favorite ideas shared by others!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

168 Replies 168
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie

I have a 'preferred' set of bedlinens for each room and a second set in case I don't have time between bookings to wash the first. I also have some extra sets as back up if it's really busy. I do iron them (not the sheets, which are mostly fitted, but the duvet covers and pillow cases) so this does add on some extra time but makes the bed look so much nicer. 

Most of the bedding is white or in light colours, so it generally goes on a 30 or 40 degree wash, but my machine has an option to set it to a shorter cycle, which I always opt for to save on energy and water. I also always make sure I wash a full load so as not to be wasteful. Every now and again I will put the whites on a hotter wash to give them a deep clean. With darker colours, I stick to a 30 degree wash.

I use a liquid detergent and fabric softeners for sensitive skin. I have switched from Oxy powders to soda crystals which I add to each wash (they are supposed to help keep the machine limescale free, soften the water, remove stains and make detergent go further so you use less of it) and a liquid soda crystal spray instead of regular stain remover spray if if guests leave any marks on bedding or towels. So far, these less chemical solutions seem to be working fine.

In the summer, I try to line dry everything out on the roof terrace, but in the London winters, this is not possible, so things either get spun dry or hung close to a radiator inside.

I also have mattress protectors and pillow protectors, which I think are a must. These get washed but usually shouldn't be put in the dryer as they can get ruined that way. I have extra thick mattress toppers on each guest bed and since using them, guests have been really happy with how comfortable the beds are so I think they are a sound investment, plus they are also machine washable, so not difficult to keep clean.

What mattress toppers do you use?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Huma0, it is nice to learn more about your process. I think mattress protectors are great things. On my own bed, in the winter I also have a fluffy sheet that goes under my fitted sheet, which provides extra warmth and makes your bed feel all snuggly. 🙂

Do you change the bedding style in the summer months ie. dulvet in the Winter, light sheets in the Summer?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie

Yes, I do vary it a bit between summer and winter. It's never really so warm here that beds without duvets become a necessity! In one room I have a light duvet, but also a thick quilt that guests can use if they need more warmth and that stays year round. In the other room, I vary between a lighter duvet for summer and a slightly heavier one, in addition to a thin quilt, but also offer guests in that room an extra duvet during the colder months.

Although I have a pretty heavy duty winter duvet on my own bed, I bought an electric blanket for it recently. I resisted this idea for ages becaue it seems so 'granny-ish' but I have to admit that it's very cosy! Your fluffy undersheet sounds good too though. 🙂

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie I have two properties with a combined 8 beds, so we know linen at my house! It's pretty much the bain of my life! 🙂

I buy all of my sheets from a hotel supply wholesaler here in Canada. I really love the quality of the sheets, and they wash up really well and feel great. Because they're from a hotel supplier, they are all in white, but they are made to be used and abused. I have not lost a sheet or a pillowcase yet to stains or abuse (knock on wood!) They've had makeup stains, pizza stains, chocolate stains, etc. (who are these people who eat in bed???) and I've never had a problem getting it out.

For washing, I use the stain wash on my machine on cold, which takes a long time at about 3 hours but gets the job done. I always take the advice from the appliance expert who used to be on the CBC Radio One lunchtime call-in show once a week: he said that the key to getting out stains is soaking in the water as long as possible, and the stain cycle does seem to achieve that. I use the dye and scent free Kirkland brand of liquid laundry detergent from Costco and I also add a splash of fibre safe bleach. I add a bounce dryer sheet to the dryer. I've had people tell me they smell just like hotel sheets, so I think the combination is good with very little scent.

I also use a really good quality mattress encasement and pillow encasements to protect everything.  

My least favourite part is ironing and folding, and I haven't figured out any good hacks for that yet. That's the part I don't like! I have a new, fancy iron, and I still hate it and I'm not happy with the results on the sheets. I wish I could figure out a better way.

Our linen closet is pretty much taken over by Airbnb linen. Because everything is the same colour, each type and size of sheet has a seperate cube/cubbyhole it goes into. Thankfully, because they're for hotels, they do have colour coded hems so it's a bit easier to keep straight. I've just done the math, and we have a total of 48 sheets in the house, and about 48 pillowcases! We never run out!

@Alexandra316 What is the company name you buy from? I'm also from Canada and have 2 queen beds and 5 doubles to fill and I'm finding it very expensive to get started although I'm sure it will pay off in the end. 

Thanks

@Jessica2602 Did you ever find out the name of the company? I’m in Canada toooo and would like to know that info please

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, that is a lot of sheets. Do you find you often have to replace sheets or do you normally bulk buy and not really replace them very often?

It sounds like you have mastered the art of removing stains from sheets @Alexandra316. Have you got any tips for removing mascara off the pillows?

I agree with you here about ironing, it can take a lot of time. What in particular are you not happy with the results of your iron?

--------------------

@Lizzie The hotel sheets last a long time. When I worked at a hotel as a student, they would last years, so we haven't had any wear out.

Regarding mascara, I haven't really had a problem getting it out the way I usually wash, but I haven't had any major issues with it: a spot here or there, maybe.

Sheets are just awkward. They're so huge. I don't have a good way of laying them out so they're not laying on the floor while I'm ironing. I have tried what @Michelle-And-Michael0 suggested regarding ironing the sheets on the bed, and it's alright, but not perfect when the bed has a thick pillow top that squishes down while you're working.

I empathise with you trying to iron the sheets on a board. I tried that, but found by the time I got to the other end, the end on the floor was creased again Lol.

We have a pillow top also, but maybe not a squishy as yours. I also think that because we have a rotary clothes line and I can line dry the sheets with a good breeze, they come off the line not too badly creased in the first place, which makes it a lot easier for ironing. 🙂

Is a rotary line better than a plain washing line? And where do you put it? Out of sight of guests?

That makes sense @Michelle-And-Michael0. We can't hang sheets out at this time of year - it's currently -11 - and I'm finding they get horribly creased even if I pull them out of the dryer right away.

Where do you get the hotel sheets?

We stayed at a fancy B&B in Philadelpia, their nicest room. The bed was beautifully made with the sheet having a lace edge. I asked about how they cared for those sheets the next morning. Regarding ironing, she said she only irons the top 2-3 feet. I only do the top foot.

What a great idea. Do you iron bottom sheets?