All about linen and bedding sets

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All about linen and bedding sets

Linen.png

Hello everyone,

A topic that we talk about fairly regularly here in the Community Center is around how to manage linens and bed sheets, especially when it comes to providing them, changing them and washing them. We also see hosts ask what colour linen others think are the most welcoming, but also the most managable when used regularly.

There are quite a lot of different solutions that hosts adopt, many of which are based on the type of accomodation you offer, but one of common concerns is around controlling costs. Perhaps you have a plan of how often you change the bedding and replace it, perhaps you have little tips like applying a mattress cover to help prevent ware, perhaps you choose to wash your linen at a certain temperature to make them last longer.

How can you offer an excellent service and keep in budget at the same time? 

Please share your tips on how to manage linens and bed sheets, and get inspired by the solutions suggested by other hosts. Please give a “thumbs up” on your favorite ideas shared by others!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

166 Replies 166

I do this too, both bathrooms, with a note and it's listed on the info sheet. I still have stained wash cloths and sheets. People (a) don't read (b) are inconsiderate and (c) don't know how to properly use a wash cloth. Very frustrating but I haven't figured out a non-condescending way to communicate more info.

so many millenials have never had a wash cloth at home.  it's very common to just use disposable wipes; we're assuming that .75 packets/stay will be consumed regardless of stay duration but that's our high-side initial guess ---- does anyone has expience with this replenishment over a long period?

When i wash the towels, i always let them soak over night, and i use Baking Soda, Peroxide, Laundry soap, and vinegar. It sounds like a lot but i dont use as much soap. It brightens and whitens the towels right up! it also disinfects them. Sometimes, when I can tell the are particularly grimy - (Like when a guest tries to be helpful and washes the towels for me, but put the black wash clothes in with them) I add some bleach pods.  You can get peroxide and baking soda in bulk at Costco, same with white vinegar. 

@Juliana40 I use baking soda and vinegar along with laundry soap, but haven't used peroxide.  How much do you use per load?

I provide makeup remover towlets. My clientele in Princeton NJ are not big make up users however...so they are hardly ever used. 

I just do not understand why people use softener.. it is toxic stuff,  full of bs chemicals and I am allergic .

and fussing about wrinkles. 

Really.

Makes me concerned with the human race and our skewed priorities

but I get it, you are trying to be a great host.

Tatyana5
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree.

I personally neverthought about the chemiccals in fabric softner- but your totally right

Agreed!!

@AliceandJeff Do you need a receipt from the charity shop to get the tax break?

@Alice-and-Jeff0 what a simple and great idea, I will start purchasing them in individual quantities instead of sets!

I have a cabin, one king size bed. Dogs are welcome but there is always dog hair on the blankets. I think I need to go with a comforter and a duvet cover not a blanket. However, I can not find this, I can find a comforter and some duvet covers but what if they don't fit each other. I have to buy online because I am in nowhere. Where can I shop for these?

You could make your own. Duvet covers are horrendously expensive, but you can buy 2 sheets, sew 3 sides together to fit, and use whatever closure you want at the bottom. When I did this, I used 2 queen sheets to cover a queen comforter. I  had to cut off about 5" along one side for the fit to be right. I also used strips to sew into the inside corners to tie the comforter in (sewed strips to the comforer corners.)

We bought ours individually from Cosy House Collection - if you call and mention you're a host they give you a discount.

Hi! I would love to know your thoughts on the quality/comfort/durability of the sheets and other bedding you purchased from Cosy House Collection. Thanks!