Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Any advice on cleaning techniques and strategy?

Answered!
Lana1222
Level 3
Bathsheba, Barbados

Any advice on cleaning techniques and strategy?

Hello everyone! Hope all is well . As a new host, I can say that even though I have always kept my home as spotless as possible, but now hosting, I feel the pressure of cleaning.  Looking for any advice on techniques for cleaning on an international standard . Much appreciated thank you.

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

Top Answer
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lana1222 

Advice I learned the hard way.  Check empty drawers and empty closet shelves not always empty.  

For my bedding I wash everything.  The blankets don't stink but yes they have the previous person's scent.  

My husband loves concoctions,  He makes non chlorine bleach, not hard it is something he found on the internet.

In Hawaii you have to be cheap lol  Great fue windows and stains like blood or red dirt, Dawn Dish Detergent.

I don't do air fresheners but it is a small expense all my bedrooms have a room air purifier.

I encourage everybody to use dish washer less utility expense and less complaints about washing skills.

Invest in mid range linens, clean better, less replacement because of use and less complaints,  Same with my towels.

View Top Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lana1222  😊

Welcome to the community! 

Would you like to share any specific questions related to this? Our Hosts will be able to help you better.

Do you have any great advice to share with @Lana1222 ?

@Marie8425@Joelle43 and @Zheng49 .

Thank you in advance everyone!

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Lana1222 For me, I wash my duvet cover, pillow cover, flat sheet, as well as the towel between each visit.

I do this even if there are no stains, and they are barely used. 

If you want to go above and beyond, then you can get a UV flashlight and inspect for insects (including bed bugs) etc.  

I'm fully equipped with UV flashlight, UV-C wand (with UV gloves) and matching test card, handheld vacuum, electric mosquito zapper (can kill basically any insect, not just mosquito). 

Sanitizing the pillow for example with a UV-C wand doesn't take long at all, and might be worth doing. 

Since I have an Ikea bed frame, I would also tighten certain key screws. 

PS I don't think the "above and beyond" is worth doing between each visit. Maybe once a month would be enough. 

@Zheng49 Thank you very much! Best , Lana

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lana1222 

Advice I learned the hard way.  Check empty drawers and empty closet shelves not always empty.  

For my bedding I wash everything.  The blankets don't stink but yes they have the previous person's scent.  

My husband loves concoctions,  He makes non chlorine bleach, not hard it is something he found on the internet.

In Hawaii you have to be cheap lol  Great fue windows and stains like blood or red dirt, Dawn Dish Detergent.

I don't do air fresheners but it is a small expense all my bedrooms have a room air purifier.

I encourage everybody to use dish washer less utility expense and less complaints about washing skills.

Invest in mid range linens, clean better, less replacement because of use and less complaints,  Same with my towels.

@Marie8425 

Thank you very much! Best Lana

I learned the hard way too. Make sure when collecting dirty towels to shake them off too. I had a guest that shaved and collected ball of hairs  wrapped  in the towel. When we collected all dirty towels we didn’t inspected them and toss them in the washer and all those little hairs stuck to all the towels and wouldn’t come off. I had to dispose them.