Best outdoor deck railing for short-term rental vs. resale vs. aesthetics

Best outdoor deck railing for short-term rental vs. resale vs. aesthetics

We are renovating a home in the Catskills and stuck on what railing to install on our outdoor deck—cable or metal.  We plan to use the home for short-term rentals—so safety is important.  We might sell if the rental market doesn't pan out—so curb appeal is important.  The home is fully surrounded by woods—no neighbors in sight; so views are important.  There is a deck around most of the house that is 8-10' above the ground in the front, and a full story above the ground in the back.  
I've attached photos with rough mockups of the options (A, B, & C) we are considering.  We would be so grateful for any input, experience, or recommendations from homeowners or agents regarding what would be the preferred choice for 1) attracting rental guests in the short term, 2) retaining value for resale and not looking dated in 10 years, 3) protecting ourselves from accidents.  

Thank you in advance!  Ian Deck Rail option A

Deck rail option B

Deck rail option C

2 Replies 2
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Ian49020 

I was interested in the options you are considering, but I can't see the photos. Not sure if it's just me.

Hi Ian,

I can't see the photos either. It sounds like a great project you have going in the Catskills!

Choosing the right railing for your deck is crucial for both aesthetics and safety, especially considering your home's location and intended use. Here are some thoughts on the options you're considering:

1. Cable Railings:
    • Aesthetics and Views: Cable railings offer a sleek, modern look and minimal visual obstruction, making them excellent for preserving views of your wooded surroundings.
    • Safety: They are sturdy and safe if installed correctly, although they can require regular tension adjustments to maintain rigidity and safety standards.
    • Longevity and Appeal: This option is less likely to look dated due to its minimalist design. It might attract guests looking for a modern and unobstructed nature experience.
  2. Metal Railings:
    • Aesthetics and Views: Metal railings can be designed with thin balusters to minimize view obstruction while adding a touch of elegance or rustic charm, depending on the design.
    • Safety: Generally very durable and safe, providing a solid barrier that is less prone to issues that might arise from the loosening over time, like with cables.
    • Longevity and Appeal: Depending on the design, metal railings can either enhance the property’s rustic feel or give it a more traditional look, which might appeal to a broader resale market.

For attracting rental guests, maintaining a clear view with a modern look is essential, so cable railings might be more appealing. However, for resale value and ensuring a timeless design that appeals to a broader audience, a well-designed metal railing could be more advantageous.

Safety-wise, both options can be made to meet safety standards, but metal railings generally require less maintenance to keep them secure.

Given these considerations, you might weigh the importance of minimal upkeep and broad appeal for resale (favoring metal railings) against the modern aesthetic and unobstructed views for rental attractiveness (favoring cable railings). If safety and minimal maintenance are paramount, metal might edge out as the safer long-term choice.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish management