Dishonest Guests' First AirBNB Stay

Shannon1133
Level 2
Oregon, United States

Dishonest Guests' First AirBNB Stay

Hello Fellow Hosts! My Mom and I have been hosting for a couple months now. All stays have been 5 stars with only a couple of unfavorable comments such as location. We're in an old part of town. Our last Guests booked their first AirBNB experience with us this past weekend. They were very complimentary over messages and friendly when I bumped into them in person. We had a small issue with internet connection which I fixed right away so they weren't interrupted too long. 

When my housekeeper entered after the Guests left, she picked up the bedding and had an allergy attack. Upon further inspection we found they broke 2 rules:

1) No pets

2) Don't wash our linens or towels

I found a spot on our rug where they tried to clean up a urine spot. I could still smell the faint scent of urine. The rug was washable but they washed 4 of our bright white towels and turned them dingy blue-green. 

I haven't given a review yet and neither have they. I so don't want a negative review, but I want them to know they've been caught sneaking in an animal. 

I would appreciate ANY suggestions or recommendations! 

Note: our outdoor camera system goes up this next week... 

Thank you!

Shannon Aguiar

The Tiny at 740 in Ontario, Oregon

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Shannon1133 

I see no pets but your going to have a hard time with that if no camera of a dog and no person actually seeing.  Could of been a dog, a cat or a visitor for a few hours who brought a pet.  My rules just state no visitors without approval,  Then I only have to worry about visiting pets occasionally.

As to don't wash your towels.  I assume the book you talk about includes that rule.  Airbnb can only honor a rule stated on their website.

Changing the colo0r of your towels is just doing it incorrectly.  I would just approach the guest first.  Very nicely just tell them you noticed the towels damaged.  The towels are no longer usable and my cost to replace is this $XX.  I feel you are responsible for the cost.  

For me, if I approach the issue polite and business like, the guests manner of responding to me tells me if innocent mistares or a negative guest.

If the guest has a problem at my rental. I would like the opportunity to fix a mistake first so I offer the same respect.

Thank you!