Do you offer outdoor amenities for your guests?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Do you offer outdoor amenities for your guests?

Outdoor activity.jpeg

Hello everyone 👋

As a traveler, I constantly seek outdoor activities in my destinations. During these searches, I've found Airbnbs with impressive outdoor amenities.

Though I understand that the availability of such amenities might change with seasons, depend on the space of the property, or the special design that each Host wants to give to their space, I'm curious: do you provide any outdoor amenities? Examples might include a swimming pool 💧, barbecue area 🍖, or an outdoor dining setup 🏡, among others.

I'd love to hear if you offer any of these amenities and if there's a particular one your guests frequently highlight.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

47 Replies 47
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

@Guy991 - You must have a green thumb? We're currently growing broccoli, figs, pumpkins, courgettes, onions and herbs in our garden. Ohh and tomatoes, there's nothing better than having fresh tomatoes on a summer salad. 🥗

I'd love to see some pictures, if you can share? Do your guests leave comments about your garden treats in your reviews? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Paula, it is an interesting topic. Not so much on what one offers, but the practicality of the lived experience in keeping these things maintained. We have lots of outdoor furniture, pool, bikes etc. The more we have to maintain outside, the less time something gets inside. And when you have a large property like 44 acre farm with fencing, water pumps, live stock etc something has to give. I've learnt to manage expectations carefully. Like bikes are not roadworthy, but ok for farm. Pool won't be resort style clean because it's only serviced every few days, so leaves and dirt can blow in between cleans or even just before they arrive. etc etc. I've stopped providing inflatable pool toys because they busted so easily, or guests got stressed trying to find patches to fix them when they did bust...but I do provide an inflatable pump that deflates as well if they want to BYO. We maintain all the outdoor furniture and replace (its harsh weather here) when its worn or broken, safety and comfort is paramount. And always looking for cheerful little garden spots to enhance as we have such large acreage to utilise and views over the valley.

But then I'm not convinced all guests are like yourself and appreciate the outdoor offerings. For example, I got penalised by a guest because some previous guest must have done a bad dishwasher load (probably stopped it half way) and put some some not-perfectedly clean dishes in the cupboards that we missed in our checks. Slapped me with 4 star kiss of death rating just for that. He didn't appreciate all the effort we went to in providing all the exterior stuff for almost the same price if he had booked a hotel for his family. So whilst as a host it might help attract bookings (would like some data evidence from airbnb on this, surely you guys can tell if a property gets more bookings with more features/amenities etc?), I don't think it helps ratings?

And frankly, ratings matter more than bookings. I have a theory that the larger and more complex property you provide, the harder it is to get better ratings too. Unless you are luxe and charging an absolute bomb and nothing is left to chance (whereas our property is a constant balancing act on where to spend our constrained time and we are 'affordable' deliberately).

I'd also ask, should one charge more for such amenities/extra outdoor offerings? Us hosts probably would all like to but the market won't bear it. Maybe it helps gets bookings, but is it profitable/worth it to maintain it?

Not sure it quite answered your question but that's my view

kind regs mary

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Mary1523I really appreciate you sharing your perspective in this thread. It is clear that offering outdoor amenities presents challenges, and, as you mentioned, managing expectations in larger properties is crucial.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am sure this will help other Hosts in our community 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad