Do you provide gym equipment in your listing?

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you provide gym equipment in your listing?

885424623293562192-18 (1).jpg

Hi everyone,

As people are turning towards a healthy lifestyle, it might be interesting to include gym or yoga equipments to the listing. I'm curious to know if the hosts in our community provide any fitness gear for guests? 

Do you go with simple equipments such as dumbbells 🏋🏻, yoga mats 🧘🏻‍♀️ or treadmills 🏃? 

How do your guests react to having such fitness amenities?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Elisa

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
29 Replies 29
Jennifer4572
Level 2
State College, PA

@Elisa I provide a yoga mat, small dumb bells (2-3#) and ankle weights as well as a yoga block!

Hi @Jennifer4572 , 

Thank you for sharing this, it's amazing that you promote sports! 😊

Do your guests do yoga outdoors or inside your property?

Warm regards 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Karen4353
Level 2
Adel, IA

We do not as we're located in the mountains.  Hiking mountain trails is exercise enough, in my humble opinion.  Hiking also gives people a chance to get away from their regular exercise schedule without feeling guilty.  

Hi @Karen4353 

Thank you for jumping into the conversation! 😊

Definitely, if you're close to the mountains, hiking is an amazing sport. 😁

Do you provide hiking equipment for your guests?

Warm regards🌻

-----

We do not.  If guests are coming to the mountains to hike, they will most always have their own gear.

John1178
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi, we actually have a full gym at our home, however i chose to instead just opt for some free weights laid out at the verendah area and a punching bag thats hanging in an open air space. Wanted to keep it simple since most will be on vacation and so on.

Always found that a little distraction from your workout with the view and surroundings normally helps time pass faster while burning those cals.

Hi @John1178 😊

Thank you for sharing this!

I agree with you, I love having a nice view no matter what I'm doing in life, especially during sports. 😁

Does every guest participate in sport at your place?

Have you experienced any damage recently?

Warm regards, 🌻

-----

Juliana869
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi I don’t provide gym equipment no space available. Here is a Virgian Active in my area.

Hi @Juliana869 😊

Thank you for your reply!

I understand that it can be difficult to provide gym equipment if there isn't enough space.

It's great that there is a Virgin Active in your area. 😍

Do you have any special offers for your guests?

-----

I don’t yet, but I have a kayak, and I may buy a few bikes because I am in a riverfront area with a lot of outdoor activities. The layout of my cottage precludes me from having room for gym equipment, other than a yoga mat. I do have an arrangement with a local gym  for a discount to guests who want to use a gym. 

Jeffrey769
Level 1
Bluffton, SC

No gym equip. Here

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

Elisa, @Jeff2866  absolutely hit the nail on the head!

You have to consider, your listing is your turf..........to you, what is in it, what you offer and how it works is......'bleedin obvious'! To a stranger it is all foreign and it is not advisable to supply anything to a guest that could in any way pose a hosting risk!

And it is not just limited to gym equipment. It would be lovely to be that accommodating host and let guests use your pushbikes, kayaks, jet skis, mopeds but, you must consider that anything a guest can use beyond the perimeter of your insured space renders you liable to any public claim. 

I have seen a host successfully taken to court over an accident claim involving a pushbike and a motor vehicle. It was argued in court that the pushbike was not maintained in a fit state for public use and formed a part of the rental agreement rendering the host liable! 

Anything you supply that puts temptation in a guest's way that may tax their physical ability/agility is a strict no-no, whether it be on the property or in public space.

Thank you for bringing this up @Jeff2866, this is an incredibly important point that cannot be over emphasized! Particularly in a litigious society like the USA.

Cheers.........Rob.

@Elisa. Great topic. We don't, mainly because our main categories are National Parks and Beaches/Beachfront.

Plus we are pet friendly so if the swimming and the trek up and down Seven Mile Beach isnt enough (95% of which is an off leash dog beach) then bushwalking and trail mountain bike riding are options.

We are also fortunate to have council playgrounds with fitness stations as well as a pool, skatepark, playgrounds etc. Oh, and we have an 18 hole golf course built on sand right alongside the beach so even in the heaviest of rain people can exercise. All free (apart from golf).

Why would I want to take on the risk and maintenance myself? 🙂

Also I forgot to mention local riding school offers sunrise horse rides along the beach.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Frances3408 

That's fine Frances and you are on safe ground. If a guest chooses to use whatever facilities your local area has to offer while staying, so be it, that is at their risk.

What I am addressing is this thread question and the risk a host subjects themselves to by offering their own equipment for guest use.

I have a couple of really good pushbikes here, one of them a competition road bike, and there are many kilometres of cycle-ways/pathways just outside the property........but there is no way I would offer them for guest use.

If they want to hire bikes from the local bike shop, that's fine, but that doesn't expose me to any risk of injury or damage claim! The same if a guest wants to hire a treadmill or a weight-bench from a local fitness supplier to use on your property. That is their risk not yours.

Cheers........Rob.