Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Should I charge for hot tub use or include it for all guests?

Jill899
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Should I charge for hot tub use or include it for all guests?

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a hot tub to help with bookings, I was wondering if there are hosts who price their hot tub as 'extras' and roughly how much to charge? I don't want to have to charge guests for the hot tub if they're not intending on using it as its going to be expensive to heat and this is going to have to be reflected in the price.

Does any other host charge for their hot tubs as an 'extra' that may be able to help? Or is it best to just provide this for all guests?

Many thanks.

Jill

[Tittle modified by OCM]

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jill899 Have you investigated the health and safety implications of running a hot tub? They are onerous to say the least and after all the efforts you must have put in to pass your fire risk assessment I am amazed you want to add this to your list. Talking of fire risk assessments I am somewhat concerned you are allowed to store logs touching your woodburner as shown in your pictures.

Thanks for this helpful advice, the log burner you refer to is a gas fire which is disconnected.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jill899 good to hear from a safety point of view - Less good from a guest satisfaction  point of view as it looks like a cosy fire is available when it is not. Did you have to disconnect it due to the fire risk assessment?

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

Yes, of course. We charge 95 extra for duration of ones stay. Includes robes, outdoor towels, flip flops, candles, torches, etc.... We have otherwise no cleaning fee. This system has been working very well for us for 9 years.

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

How do you clean the water left in the jets after someone has used it? What happens if a child drowns in it. Law requires a locked top or fenced off. Airbnb won't cover you. Will your insurance company? All too much trouble.

Traditional hot tubs are maintained on a daily basis with chemicals. Water is replaced every 30-45 days. fences are probably only required in certain cities. In ours it is not required. Guests have to sign a waiver and we have STR insurance that covers any troubles. It is definitely not too much trouble.

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Jill899,

Your assumption about a hot tub driving more bookings was interesting, so I looked into it. While I did notice a correlation, I don’t think the hot tub is the main factor. Neighboring properties with hot tubs have lower prices and better photos.
Before considering a hot tub, I’d suggest refreshing your listing by reordering the first photos (1 and 3 are the same)  and checking how nearby properties present themselves.
In my opinion, there are other improvements to make before investing in something like a hot tub. 

Hot tubs absolutely increase bookings. If all the rentals around you have hot tubs, not having one is at your detriment. 

Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Jill899 , 

we have a hot tub in our house in Venice (probably one of the few hot tubs in the city) and our guests (especially USA ones) seem to appreciate it very much. The hot tub is always in use, both in summer and winter and is not priced as an extra.

Andrea

https://airbnb.com/h/la-casa-sul-canale-con-piscina-jacuzzi-in-giardino

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

We have a hot tub that or guests love. In my opinion it is ridiculous to ask for extra. As a guest it would turn me off. You have to simply increase your nightly rate.

https://www.lacasitasatx.com

Ema3296
Level 8
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Dear @Jill899

That sounds like a great idea! Many hosts do charge for hot tubs as an extra, especially since it can add significant value to the stay. Pricing can vary, depending on your market and how frequently you expect guests to use it.

If you decide to charge, you might consider clearly stating the cost in your listing to avoid any confusion. However, if you think it will enhance the overall experience and attract more bookings, providing it for all guests could be beneficial.

Good luck with your decision!

Best regards,

Ema

Hi Jill,

Charging for a hot tub as an "extra" can be a smart way to manage costs, especially given the expense of heating and maintaining it. I usually disclose a $150 extra charge for using the hot tub so that guests who don’t intend to use it aren’t charged.

This approach allows you to cover the cost of heating and maintenance without inflating your base price for all guests.

Some hosts include the hot tub in the overall price, while others prefer the flexibility of offering it as an optional extra. It really depends on how prominently the hot tub factors into the appeal of your listing and how much you want to attract guests specifically looking for that amenity. If you decide to charge separately, just be clear about it upfront in your listing to avoid confusion or disputes.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Upfish Management