How often do you replace pots and pans?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

How often do you replace pots and pans?

40129811-35.jpg

Having the right tools and utensils in the kitchen can make our lives so much easier. Although, pots and pans appear to be a pretty basic requirement in the kitchen , they are super essential to cook delicious meals and delicacies 😉 .

There exists variety of cookware ranging from stainless steel, non-stick pans, cast-iron to ceramic cookware and so on. All of us may consider different factors to choose one that suits best our budget and cooking requirements. However, despite all the initial considerations while buying these , like all tools, they can eventually wear out and may need replacing. 

So, we'd love to hear from our Hosts what factors do you consider while buying these basic tools like pans and pots? Do you use stainless steel, non-stick pans, cast-iron to ceramic cookware? How often do you replace your pots and pans in the kitchen? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

79 Replies 79

Hello,

We always check everything in the apartments after the guest, and we try to use good and cost-effective things.

Terry874
Level 2
Little Mountain, SC

Hey lady! I will replace as needed. I often have to replace the Tupperware it seams to walk off quite oftenn along with coffee cups. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Terry874 ,  It's a good point to replace cookwares as and when needed. Ah! you've made an interesting observation that Tupperware and coffee cups tend to walk off quite often from the listing 😆 

Do you have any strategies for keeping track of these items or preventing them from going missing?

-----

Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hi @Bhumika 

Key indicators for replacement are damage to the cooking surface, warping, or if the cookware no longer performs as it should. Regular maintenance and proper care can significantly extend the life of your pots and pans.  We use non-stick and stainless steel pots and pans, If the coating is scratched, peeling, or damaged, it should be replaced sooner as the pan is no longer non-stick and can release harmful chemicals. For non-stick usually 2-3 years or sooner if the coating gets damaged.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Patricia2526 , I appreciate your idea of replacing non stick pans as soon as possible since depending on the material , it can release harmful chemicals with its continuous usage.

Do you have any specific brands or types of cookware that you find to be particularly durable and reliable?

-----

Nora-and-Hajni0
Level 2
California, United States

I have a 1 bedroom apartment, people rarely cook. In case they need an additional pot, pan or something for the house, the guests let me know, they buy what they need and I refund them. When I was a new host this method was very helpful.

I inspect everything monthly (or after each guest) and replace what needed.

That said some are 6 years old (kettle to boil water) others, like pancake pans usually last 2-3 years. Some are older, because I bought my condo with furniture and fully equipped kitchen.

I noticed that guests tend to  be more respectful of the property when they feel like they are staying in a comfortable, homey environment, compared to a sterile hotel-like atmosphere.

Hi @Nora-and-Hajni0 , that's a very collaborative approach to refund guests for the items they've bought for the listing.  Seems like your approach of inspecting everything on a monthly basis helps with maintaining a quality stay. I can't believe that some of the equipments are 6 year old!! You must be maintaining these cookwares and equipments so well 😉 

Do you have any tips for new Hosts for creating a comfortable stay for guests?

-----

Pat212
Level 2
Ocho Rios, Jamaica

We only replace pots and pans if they are worn or we just want to upgrade our stock with some nicer ones.  We have added things like air fryers and instant pot. 

Generally, if the items are maintained they should last for several years.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Pat212 , thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. You've made indeed a fair point about replacing pots and pans when required. Do you have any tips for us to maintain these cookware for a longer run? 🌻

-----

Let guest know that they are to avoid burning the pots and pans.  Keep them shinny by removing baked on grease and food. Make sure cleaning person inspect pots and pans after each guest stay.

As our guests eat out mostly, our pots remain in great condition. I don't anticipate replacing them any time soon.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Joseph2395 , Do you often recommend food places to your guests, since they mostly eat out?

Do you prefer non-stick or stainless steel cookware? 😉

-----

Erly1339
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I replace my pots, pans, and all my utensils every year or whenever I go back to the Philippines because I prefer to use them for myself first.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Erly1339 , that's an interesting approach to test out the utensils to ensure they are in great shape. When was the last time you visited the Philippines ? Was it last year? 😉 

How do you manage your listings since it looks like you're residing in a different place than where your listing is. Do you have a co-host? or manage the bookings remotely? 🤔 

-----

Jesper-and-Katrin0
Level 1
Kårsta, Sweden

Hi!

We never do!
They are fully usable until they break. Wich they haven’t done since we started. 
We use quality gear such as stainless steel and cast iron. Those are unbreakable and do a good job for ages. Most of them are bought second hand. 
Our guests seem to be totally happy with that. At least we never heard any complaints. 
We have bin hosts since 2012

Love Katrin&Jesper