How often do you replace pots and pans?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

How often do you replace pots and pans?

40129811-35.jpg

Having the right tools and utensils in the kitchen can make our lives so much easier. Although, pots and pans appear to be a pretty basic requirement in the kitchen , they are super essential to cook delicious meals and delicacies 😉 .

There exists variety of cookware ranging from stainless steel, non-stick pans, cast-iron to ceramic cookware and so on. All of us may consider different factors to choose one that suits best our budget and cooking requirements. However, despite all the initial considerations while buying these , like all tools, they can eventually wear out and may need replacing. 

So, we'd love to hear from our Hosts what factors do you consider while buying these basic tools like pans and pots? Do you use stainless steel, non-stick pans, cast-iron to ceramic cookware? How often do you replace your pots and pans in the kitchen? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

82 Replies 82
Jesper-and-Katrin0
Level 1
Kårsta, Sweden

Hi!

We never do!
They are fully usable until they break. Wich they haven’t done since we started. 
We use quality gear such as stainless steel and cast iron. Those are unbreakable and do a good job for ages. Most of them are bought second hand. 
Our guests seem to be totally happy with that. At least we never heard any complaints. 
We have bin hosts since 2012

Love Katrin&Jesper 

Hi @Jesper-and-Katrin0 , Wow! 12 glorious years of hosting 😍 many congratulations on this fantastic journey you both!

It's so great to hear that you're saving so much time and cost in replacing the pans or pots 😉  Stainless steel and cast iron are surely few of the go-to cookware types for many Hosts who commented on this topic.  

I've heard that it's important to season the cast iron to ensure it remains non-stick while cooking. How do you maintain these quality gears to ensure its durability? Do you have any maintenance tips for us?

-----

Andrea6532
Level 2
Georgetown, KY

I have been hosting for almost two years, and in an effort to help guests find the "right pan" or things that are familiar or they will like to use, I offer a variety. I have found the new non-stick ceramic cookware to be better, showing fewer signs of wear and tear. Also, checking your pans for cleanliness is a must. This subtly encourages guests to care for our kitchen things as if they were theirs.

I have not had to "replace" any cookware yet (two years in). The only things that I have had to replace are missing items. Sometimes, things disappear or perhaps get broken. People cook in my three homes, and I want them to feel confident that everything they need is there.

I also provide a variety of cooking utensils, which helps keep non-stick pans looking better. The dishwasher is not great for some pots and pans, and because people are not at home, they tend to toss them into the dishwasher, which will shorten their lifespan. I am okay with that because I agree with the mindset that convenience is a priority while traveling. Even cooking should be perceived as easy for a great guest experience.

Everyone has their own point of view on what is acceptable for the non-stick surface. I always ask myself if I would be disappointed in these or whatever item is in question. If yes, it's time to replace whatever the item (sheets, pots, pans, decor, towels).

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Andrea6532 , You showcase such an understanding approach towards kitchen amenities. Offering variety of cookware certainly elevates guest experience , especially when they prefer to cook meals in the listing instead of eating out at a restaurant. 🌻

I've noticed that ceramic cookware may need proper care and seasoning to ensure their durability, just like cast irons. How do you handle it? 

-----

Sandy870
Level 1
Pittsford, NY

We have been open 3 years, and as of yet haven’t replaced them. We have good quality pots and pans. Also would like to add that a very high percentage of our guests don’t cook. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks @Sandy870 for sharing 😍, I guess many Hosts do agree in this thread that guests don't prefer to cook during their stays and rather go out at a restaurant to have family dinners.

Do you recommend a go-to brand to ensure a good quality cookware?

-----

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bhumika High quality stainless steel pans last forever and are always cleanable (eventually) so well worth he money.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Mike-And-Jane0 , many Hosts would agree to that in this thread! 😉  Have you found any particular cleaning tips or DIY cleaning methods that work best to keep the cookware in great shape over the years?

From comments of other Hosts, it seems like , stainless steel pans are easy to clean as compared to other varieties like cast iron , non-sticks and ceramics!

-----