Im considering living in my basement apartment, renting upstairs and providing breakfast to guests - AM I NUTS?

Debra699
Level 3
Decatur, GA

Im considering living in my basement apartment, renting upstairs and providing breakfast to guests - AM I NUTS?

I have a 3-story 2800 sqft home near Asheville N Carolina. In my first year of hosting, I did not include the basement apartment (ran out of money). In year 2 I renovated and furnished the 1 bed 200 sqft apartment and added a second listing for the entire house as a 3/3. In six months, I've only had 5 reservations and 1 pending for the property as a 3/3.  The 2/2 listing is doing phenomenally, and I think I know why. Some suspicions: I dont have a hot tub (Im financially not ready for that yet),  parking is limited, no fenced yard, it's reasonably priced, and I my persona/avatar is couples and small families. 

Anyway, I'm considering moving from ATL to NC and live in my basement apartment. It has it's own entrance, and is more than enough space for me and my dog and 2 cats. The question is.. how much do you think it will affect revenue and bookings for the 2/2 if the home will technically be shared? 

Also, do you think offering breakfast (setup, serve and clean up) as an add-on service would be something guests would be interested in?
I'm a great cook - I have no doubt about my abilities. And for some weird reason breakfast is my favorite meal to make/serve.👩‍🍳

This move is ultimately where I want to be and hope to graduate to upstairs and rent the basement apartment instead. But at this time, the 2/2 is really outperforming, so Im going to let her work.

airbnb.com/h/hollyhaven2

If you read this far, thank you.  Any insights appreciated.💛

Deb

11 Replies 11
Dani14434
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

@Debra699 First of all, your space is beautiful! Also, we’re in NC and absolutely love living here!

As far as your question, I’d say if you’re wanting to move to NC, I say go for it! Keep the 2/2 if that’s what’s performing and makes the most financial sense for you, live downstairs and figure it out as you go. I think that gives you plenty of flexibility  for a new move too!

As for breakfast, I’d probably add it as an optional add-on. Personally, I love included breakfast but I also like a nice meal out, so I might add it on for part but not all of the stay. Or, maybe even offer as a “personal chef” type experience where you actually cook it upstairs in the kitchen. I don’t know all the logistics of that, just a thought of how to make it feel more special and like a vacation luxury.

Another question… Is it possible to close off the basement so it is fully separate (kinda like how a hotel room can have a shared door that’s locked from both sides)? That might help some guests feel more comfortable with a technically shared space.

Thanks for reading, the words of encouragement, and the great questions!! Im so excited to move actually!😍 

I was actually thinking of the 'private chef experience' yes! Shoot I can even wear an apron.

And yes, there is a stairway that joins the basement to the main home, a door at the top and bottom, both can be locked.

Deb

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Debra699 👋

It was lovely to read your excitement and thoughts in this post. 

You've got some really lovely support here too. Are you going to go for it? It would be lovely to see how your journey progresses from thought to actively Hosting! Please come back and share it with us - pictures too of course! 

Don't forget we're always here to support you too, so fire away with any questions you may have! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I totally agree with that.

i have to ask, do you rent short or long term?

@Anwar46 Short term! My longest was 28 nights, min 3 nights

Jacob874
Level 2
Duson, LA

Can't hurt to give it a try!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Debra699 as long as you are clear in the listing that the basement is occupied you should be fine. BUT I would can the idea of breakfasts. One of the key benefits to me of an Airbnb over a hotel is that I get privacy. Slightly different but you could offer, if legal, a chef service for the odd evening meal which may go down well with guests.

i agree with that 

Chiara313
Level 2
Brighton, Australia

Great plan,  you could provide a breakfast in a basket fresh eggs, local produce and the "chef" idea is great too.  Anything to make money while markets are soft. 

airbnb.com/h/chiara-cottage

Chiara

Hi,

I have a 3-story 2800 sqft home near Asheville, North Carolina. In my first year of hosting, I only listed the upper floors due to budget constraints. In the second year, I renovated and furnished the 1-bedroom, 200 sqft basement apartment and added a second listing for the entire house as a 3/3. Over six months, I've had only 5 reservations and 1 pending for the 3/3 listing, while the 2/2 listing has been performing exceptionally well.

Making informed decisions about property management, including offering add-on services like breakfast, can be likened to optimizing industrial energy management systems. Just as you analyze and adapt your property management strategy based on performance data and market conditions, 

lindustrial energy solutions 

require continuous monitoring and adjustment to improve efficiency and reduce costs.

Energy Management Systems: By employing advanced energy management systems, industries can monitor and control their energy usage, similar to how you track and adjust your Airbnb listings based on booking trends and guest feedback.  Read More

https://www.companion.energy/

Aimee224
Level 2
Elk Park, NC

Not at all 😛