Is three bedrooms better than four?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Is three bedrooms better than four?

I just read an interesting report from AirDNA that three bedrooms bring a lot less than four. I have one three bedroom, one 4 br and one 5 br. I am able to charge double for the two bigger properties. For those of you with larger homes, do you find it to be true as well?

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 slightly different but we had a 1 bed and a 2 bed apartment upstairs and a 3 bed downstairs taking up the same footprint. Our combined income from the two smaller apartments was about 40% greater than that of the 3 bed.

I guess it all depends on your market.

@Mike-And-Jane0 I think it is still somewhat in line with the report. It appears that three bedroom is the least profitable combination 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Inna22 

A totally off topic suggestion lol.  Maybe try people with children yes noisy footsteps just natural not upstairs.  Book downstairs I have this set up.  Kids above always causes complaints and then parents are stressed because you have to scold.

@Marie8425 I am not following you at all

@Inna22  i looked and your reviews on your three bedroom seemed to be focused on who is upstairs rather than smaller rental.  I know not your topic but I was curious so I looked  no one complains about size

@Marie8425 no one is going to complain about the size at my properties. I have a very clear description and I charge accordingly. Well, I should not say no one. People have certainly complained about crazier things before. Still, the point of my post is to discuss how varies number of bedrooms at the dwelling effect pricing. I do not need help with my specific listing, I am trying to have a discussion with fellow hosts

@Inna22 

I apologize wasn't being insulting

@Marie8425 I was not insulted