Looking for remote lock recommendations, in Germany

Margit1
Level 1
Cologne, Germany

Looking for remote lock recommendations, in Germany

Hi,

We are new here and saw the airbnb recommendation for remote locks (here in germany): RemoteLock 500i

As an alternative i found the Yale ENTR or the August Smart Lock (and the startup Nuki)

But the reviews i found on amazon for example are mostly poor...

Has somebody here real hands on experience with any kind of remote lock and wants to share the experience with the community?

many thanks,

Michael

81 Replies 81

This is the name of the app in my smartthings smartapp - 

/**
* User Lock Manager v4.1.5
* Copyright 2015 Erik Thayer
* Keypad support added by BLebson
* Door manual unlock notifications and option by DimitriRodis 2016-06-24
*/

Here is the device handler info -

definition (name: "Z-Wave Schlage Touchscreen Lock", namespace: "garyd9", author: "Gary D") 

You should be able to find that.  There is a guy on youtube who has a dead simple tutorial if you get stuck.  It seems like a useless video but it was great once I got into it.  He is curly haired, probably late 50's.  Not a ton of videos so you should be able to find it.  

The smartthings hub is still quirky.  I control ecobee, lights, outlets, smoke detectors, door locks and more but some times it just flakes.  The thing is, that even if the hub goes down, the codes will still work, you just can't change them until you reconnect.  So I just have extra codes no one has, in case of emergency.

Sweet! I found it on Github!

Thanks, man!

I'll be not even close to the Airbnb so when you say that the hub goes down, do you just power cycle it? Reason I ask is because I basically won't have physical access to the hub, but I can have someone go to the house from time to time and power cycle the hub to get it to work again.

Thanks again!

Yes.  I have had guests unplug my wifi network for some reason, had the hub get "stuck", etc... but oddly, Samsung is super helpful.  They can dial into your hub and do amazing things.  There is a remote reboot.  And someone in the house can powercycyle.  That usually helps.  

Oh wow, remote reboot? Done!

I just ordered the pair from Amazon for $250! It'll be here Tuesday! Thanks again, Ryan. You're awesome, man!

Ryan,

Got it up and running! It's awesome! Thanks for the help!

Christian

Np.  Let me know if you automate anything else useful.  

Any thoughts on the below, Ryan?

I had no desire to build in the airbnb integration, seems like an unecessary and complicated step. This solution does not have that as far as I know.  There are other systems out there built to integrate with airbnb.  I give out codes to friends, tradesmen, etc... so wanted a more robust solution.  There is absolutely no additional fee from Samsung beyond the box itself.  There are certainly flaws in smartthings but they are pretty on top of it when you have a problem.  Real people answer you and fix your problems.  It is kind of amazing from Samsung to offer this service to random people around the world.

What would you use echo for?  The app that you need to use to control codes and access is much too complicated to be control by Alexa.  You could use alexa to, for instance say "open door at XXXX house" but to change codes, turn off access, etc... I can't imagine that you would be able to do this with the accuracy needed to rely on.  

I am always amazed when things work in my system.  For instance, tonight, I got an alert from my smoke alarm connected to smartthings.  I had guests staying in that apartment and I called them to make sure everything was ok.  They had let the steam from the rice cooker trigger the smoke alarm.  My point is that the same backend that allows me to access the door lock, alerts me to smoke.  I can also turn on and off lights, change the temperature and set motion alarms, etc... Again, this takes time to set up so if you don't like tinkering, it would not be a good solution.  But with that said it isn't overly complicated once you understand what you are trying to do and how to do it.  youtube and forums are very helpful.  

I had mostly settled on the Schlage Connect with Smarthub before reading the back-and-forth between Ryan and Christian which gave me some confidence in moving that direction. However, I've still got a few concerns:

(1) AirBnB integration. I had planned to manually provide guests with access codes using this remote system, but hearing people discuss with native AirBnB integration through Host Assist is giving me second thoughts. Any comments here?

(2) Monthly service fees. Smarthub is $100 but isn't there a monthly fee required to access the remote features?

(3) Amazon Echo - some people buy it with this pairing and Schlage pushes it - do you have/recommend that integration?

Cheers and thanks in advance for your help!

Hey, Rob. This is Christian.

I can't help with questions 1 and 3 but I definitely don't pay a monthly fee for the Smartthings/Schlage combo.

The hub was fairly straight forward to set up. It took me about an hour before getting it all to work.

I've successfully given and removed access to guests and so far it's working great! I would highly recommend it!

I may have interest. Do I need something installed and how soon can i receive? I won't be close to my rental home.

Lockstate is Great. I recommend the algorithmic locks vs WiFI. They both integrate with Airbnb.

I have had mine for 3 years!
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Irram0
Level 1
Brentwood, United Kingdom

Hi Stuart,

The Remotelock 6i appears to be out of stock on the website and amazon. Are you likely to get any back in stock soon?

Thanks

Irram

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi Irram,

Yes unfortunately sold out but more due in around the 11th Nov.  We do now have full stock of the Remotelock 5i.

Thanks, Stuart

Hi stuart,

I would like to use the remotelock 6i for a french door. Is it possible ? 

kind regards