Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Prebooking visit

Answered!
Jean5827
Level 2
St Helena, CA

Prebooking visit

I have gotten request to come see the property before they book, I feel this is just get around booking through site. Any thoughts or suggested responses? I redirect to the photos and say it’s occupied, which it is.

Top Answer
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jean5827,

It's a security and privacy risk to allow previews and also against Airbnb's ToS.  The only thing that you have to say is that previews are not permitted and that the photos and description are current and accurate.  You don't have to respond any further if they persist, and then you really know that you dodged a bullet and the person wouldn't have been the type of person you would want at your place.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

View Top Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

I would definitely feel a  scam.  If they are  already in your    area then why do they need your STR?  Sometimes they do  I have had   contract  employees switching from a hotel  to   my rental but in  those  cases  I   am dealing  with  someone who  frequently   rents   and they   arre aa 4pm  check  in ours  in case I   am   a  liar/

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Jean5827 

This type of request happened when I first started out three years ago and stopped when I started getting more reviews.

New hosts typically get this type of requests I 'm afraid and it's just a way for these type of guests to avoid Airbnb fees.  I would tell them nicely but firmly that I only go through the platform and would flag these guests so that Airbnb would hopefully remove them.  In the message stream you have three little dots and you can flag them here.

It sounds like you're very switched on already anyway and have handled the situation well.  Always trust your instincts..

All the best

Joëlle

Thank you Joelle: I am very versed at long-term rentals as I manage many, newer to the STR business, which I only do for 30+ days.  Being in Napa Valley I tend to get more interns, moving to area or medical temps. This question of letting them preview has frustrated me as time-consuming and pictures should cover it. I definitely only rent this through Airbnb, prefer the protection.

Thank you for time responding, very helpful.

Jean

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jean5827,

It's a security and privacy risk to allow previews and also against Airbnb's ToS.  The only thing that you have to say is that previews are not permitted and that the photos and description are current and accurate.  You don't have to respond any further if they persist, and then you really know that you dodged a bullet and the person wouldn't have been the type of person you would want at your place.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

That's a great response and I totally agree. Thank you

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Totally unnecessary and not worth the trouble.