Prepping for my first guest

Prepping for my first guest

Hello!  This is my first time renting my caravan out and I was thinking about outdoor furniture and access.

It’s not always possible that I can get and handover the keys to the clients. You require a fob to enter the site and therefore the clients will have to park up and walk (approximately 4 mins) to obtain the keys from the caravan (key safe) Is this acceptable?

Also as we have very unpredictable British weather and I am unable to be there on the day. Is it ok to keep the patio furniture stored away and covered over (as it can get rusty). Ideally I would have loved to set it up but this will not always possible. What are your thoughts? Also what kind of welcome gifts do you live? Many thanks 🙏🏼 #overthinker!

13 Replies 13
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Katrina442 

I think both constraints are not an issue but the key with Airbnb  Retiming is Disclosures.  All you need is one guest unhappy about your standard process and them not knowing your standard.

Update your ad to disclose.  For  guests already booked just communicate.  Surprises even if minor nobody likes especially when their in an unfamiliar surrounding.

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Katrina442, how are you? I hope you're well 😊

I'd like to tag a few of our wonderful expert hosts who can hopefully swing by and share some advice with you 🙏🏽 @John5097@Laurelle3 and @Kitty-and-Creek0  thank you in advance 😎

I also wanted to share this article I found from the Resource Center, which may be helpful to you: 'Is your Airbnb listing ready for guests?' 🏡

Best wishes,
Sophia

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Katrina442 

I looked over your listing so will offer some feedback based on that keeping in mind that I'm located in the US. 

For the lock I'm sorry but I didn't fully understand your situation or plan for guest to get a key.

"You require a fob to enter the site and therefore the clients will have to park up and walk (approximately 4 mins) to obtain the keys from the caravan (key safe) Is this acceptable?"

Why would guest need to walk 4 minutes to retrieve a key? I noticed a car parked next to your listing in several pictures. So assuming guest would be parking at the listing.

If you plan to  have a lock box put it at the listing. I don't think I've heard of guest needing to walk 4 minutes to retrieve a key, but as I said I don't fully understand your question.

Ideally you could put a lock with a key pad built in. Your place has Wifi so that's what I would have, and have on my listing. Schlage Encode or Yale is popular among host but there may be other options. Some host prefer a non wifi key pad lock and manually change the code, which means guest would usually share the same code. Or have a lock box with a key. You can have both a wifi door lock with keypad and a lock box with a key as a backup. But would have it at the listing and very easy check in instructions. 

I didn't see any patio or outdoor furniture in your listing. I just have outside Adirondack chairs for guest that I clean between guest. Sometimes wildlife gets them messy or a raccoon likes to climb up on them after going in the muddy marsh but so far so good. I also provide some beach chairs that I keep beside the door. I also have tried to think of a storage box for those but there isn't a good spot for them and we have all kinds of spiders and such that would end up inside as well. 🙂 

You may want to use the captions in the photos to explain what each picture is. At first I couldn't tell if the "RV" was also some kind of storage unit that's down on the beach. Guest may be confused. I'm not even sure what those were on the beach but assuming it's a storage shed of some kind? There was also a picture of what appeared to be a living room in a lodge so could explain what that is. 

But it looks like an amazing little beach cottage. We wouldn't call that a travel trailer and would guess it would also be a sheppards hut? I dont' think it really matters as the exterior and interior pics are good. I was also curious why yours isn't organized by rooms? I think that would help as well. 

Guest may assume there the location is directly on the beach. I couldn't really tell. You could use a maps view and draw a path and say exactly how far a distance it is to the beach, and also the mystery of what's inside the little storage unit on the beach. Whatever it is seems like something good! haha

As far as having covers and the chairs put away in storage, I've read that other host say that works great. I would just try and have covers and a place to put the covers.  Just show a picture of it or however you want to keep them. As it is now guest will assume there isn't any outdoor furniture. I've found with some things I have to adjust. For example if guest keep forgetting to lower the umbrella and it breaks a glass table then that just wan't a good idea and no need to keep tying to make request for damages, and getting one star reviews for something they might not even miss.

Those are just some suggestions and have to adjust and as needed. 

PS... I love this place though! I think guest will love it too. My suggestion would just be to better describe the photos to clear up any confusion, the location, views, and can just show pics of outdoor furniture and how it's stored, and have easy to understand and access check in. 

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Katrina442 

I have the same issue - one can put a smartlock on your own door, but the problem is getting guests through the communal gate upon arrival (and out again after their stay!). The solution you came up with is probably the only workable one in your scenario. It's not ideal that they will have to walk, but if there's no practical alternative, they will hopefully see it that way and understand. The occasional guest will mark you down on check-in rating, but you can only do what you can do!

(I permanently keep thinking over my own check-in challenge, in case I've missed an easier way to get people through the building gate. That's why I'm following this post!)

@Katrina442

I'm sorry, but I can't help you because I didn't rent any day/period.

Best wish

Lidia

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Katrina442  What a lovely space you have. In the US we refer to your type of home as a mobile home or manufactured home.  In the US,  RVs have wheels, and can be driven, yours looks to be stationary.  I'm not sure I would refer to your space as an RV. 

As far as getting the key fob to enter the community,  that needs to be made clear in your description and under things to know.  I can see where some guests would be put off by this however if it's stated upfront and they are prepared it will be better.

Karen
Miranda337
Level 2
Montgomery, MI

Communicating with guests will go a long way to mitigate these issues.

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

@Katrina442, I agree with

@John5097, guests will be unhappy if they have to walk for 4 minutes before they can pickup the keys and another 4 minutes back to their vehicle before even gaining access to the place - I know I would not appreciate that . I agree that you don't have to be their at all time to hand over the keys, perhaps a lockbox might be a good idea. Also making sure that you share that detail somewhere in your listing description may help prepare the guest, but even so they may end up giving you a low star for location. 

I think having an additional lockbox with a fob in it in case your battery is dead would be helpful for guests. Also, some kind of Furniture cover that keeps Rain and snow off would be a good idea plus a weatherproof box to stow the covers in.

As far as guests not liking to walk for four minutes, it sounds to me like the best thing you could do is to be very clear in your description and instructions Regarding who wants to book and if they have any particular specifications. House rules are instructions, but additional conversations would be necessary in a case, such as yours.

I own a remote, Cabin where it snows heavily and I am familiar with those kinds of issues. As a host you have to be on point and ready to make the place accessible.

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

Hello  @Katrina442 

All good suggestions here. I will add one: Guests don’t always read the full listing descriptions, but they do look at the photos. Consider making one of them all text, telling them to read the sections in your listing that reviews your unique details. 

My listing is for bed and bath only, the original Airbnb “rooms” experience. In one of my bedroom photos I wrote, “Amenities to note” and listed details/highlights of my place, and I prompt them to read the Amenities section for more explanation. Surprisingly, they do!

Marlene

Nardos1
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

@Katrina442 As long as you inform guests about the details before they book, it should be fine. Most listings come with their own specific instructions. In my experience, as long as guests are aware of any challenges or a short 4-minute walk in advance, they usually find it acceptable.

Kelley152
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Congratulations, @Katrina442  on your lovely sea-side listing! I agree with many of your responses.

While the 4 minute walk is not ideal, setting clear expectations ahead of time can mitigate this. I would be sure these details are everywhere in your listing: in the description, in the blurb that pops up for instant booking (if you provide that), in the check-in procedures, in your scheduled automatic messages (that might go out a week ahead, the night before, etc.). 

All the great communication you provide ahead of time though is only good if guests take the time to inform themselves. You will always get guests who are rushed, arriving at the last minute, etc. Of course these guests would likely be arriving in the dark or the rain and will be very surprised by an additional 4 minute walk. An additional in-person, visual sign for last minute guests could help in this situation.

If you are able to add a patio cover to the front porch (in case of rain), then you could add an additional note such as: If your party includes two or more people, some guests find it convenient for one to begin unloading onto the front porch, while another retrieves the key and gets a lay of the land. Adding a digital, smart door lock would also solve the problem most simply!

Allowing guests to pull out the outdoor furniture from storage is not a problem!

Finally, I don't myself give any elaborate welcome gifts, but I do provide some snacks and bottled water. I would especially think some snacks and beverages would be welcome after guests have made an extra 4 minute walk. 

I wish you all the best!

~Kelley

@Kelley152 I'm new with Airbnb but I don't have my own property. How can I start business with Airbnb?