Should I tell guests not to use my treadmill?

Answered!
Lynn1810
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

Should I tell guests not to use my treadmill?

My airbnb is the lower floor of my house, with its own separate entrance through the garage.  The garage is a shared space, but the rest of the guest suite is private.  I keep my treadmill in the garage for my own personal use - I only use it when I don’t have guests.  I know gym equipment can present liability issues, so I don’t advertise it on my listing or say anything about it to guests.  I just assumed that guests wouldn’t want to work out in a shared space, but yesterday I popped in to grab a tool from the garage and my guest was on the treadmill.  I personally don’t mind them using it, but how much of a liability risk is it?  Should I add a house rule telling guests not to use it, or is it not worth worrying about?  Unfortunately, I don’t have anywhere else I can move the treadmill, so that’s not an option right now.

1 Best Answer
Patti272
Level 3
Aledo, IL

I don't think guests would be put off if you were to say that the treadmill - or anything in the garage for that matter? - is not for guests' use. Even though it is a shared space, I think you could make note of exceptions. And I would think that saying that in the listing may be enough to protect you if there are liability concerns. Or maybe just a note right on the machine stating it's for the use of the owner only? If you only place a note on the machine though, I would take a date/time-stamped picture of it for proof for yourself in case someone tried to claim they had no knowledge of the restriction. Wishing you the best!

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Patti272
Level 3
Aledo, IL

I don't think guests would be put off if you were to say that the treadmill - or anything in the garage for that matter? - is not for guests' use. Even though it is a shared space, I think you could make note of exceptions. And I would think that saying that in the listing may be enough to protect you if there are liability concerns. Or maybe just a note right on the machine stating it's for the use of the owner only? If you only place a note on the machine though, I would take a date/time-stamped picture of it for proof for yourself in case someone tried to claim they had no knowledge of the restriction. Wishing you the best!

@Lynn1810 Can the power cord be removed? If yes, I suggest doing that. If no, cutoff the electric source to the garage. 

I can put a note on the treadmill, and add it to my house rules that I send digitally ahead of time.

@Lynn1810 

How about, in addition to signage, you cover it? My guess is that any equipment is a potential hazard.