Tip of the Week 17: Elevate your cleaning standards

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Tip of the Week 17: Elevate your cleaning standards

Hi everyone 😊

In our 17th tip of the week, I want to share a great conversation, where our amazing Host @Gwen386 offered some invaluable advice to fellow Hosts on the importance of excelling in hosting:

The one thing where I go above and beyond is during the cleaning process. Nothing is left undone. ALL surfaces are dusted, even the top of kitchen appliances. Everything is sanitized. Every floor is washed or vacuumed. All linen, including comforters, are freshly washed with non-fragrant detergents. I do not use deodorizers of any kind.

How do you take your cleaning routine to the next level? We're eager to hear about it  and how it contributes to creating an exceptional guest experience! 👈 📣

Let's gather the best cleaning tips, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the most helpful tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

14 Replies 14
Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

We saw this little sign in a post regarding hotels... Thinking of using this sort of note but with a

thumbs-up or flower graphic. It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek assurance 🙂  'We got your back' message.

We know guests who definitely check under the beds upon arrival.

under bed sign.png

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Cheri354 , I haven't seen this before. What a brilliant idea!  😁

Please share a picture with us if you decide to implement it in the end 👍🌷

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

I will, Thanks !

I make sure the door handles and light switches are sprayed and wiped with a bacteria killer.

-  Change out the HVAC filter sooner than the 3-month period.  
- Check for bugs and debris in the bathroom vent fan fixture and clean accordingly.
-   Dusting the hvac and return vents is a must.

- I also try to keep the exterior cleaned as well by cleaning the light fixtures of bugs and debris.
- I pour peppermint oil outside near all crawspace openings to help prevent unexpected pests and pour peppermint oil down the drains in between extended bookings.  The peppermint oil trick can be a little risky considering it has a strong odor but it dissipates after a few days (which is why I use this pest trick during slow bookings) but the scent is quite lovely during the Christmas season 🤭

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Paula  Once a year, we have a truly nit-picky OCD friend inspect our property for cleaning.   We have also had our housekeeper swap cleanings with a friend of theirs to check on what they may no longer be "seeing".   This has led to some basic changes in housekeeping habits.  We all get a little too comfortable with our properties and their presentation -- fresh eyes can tell you a lot.  

Bontle1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

We usually do deep cleaning once a month, just to ensure windows and walls are cleaned over and above the every check out cleaning. 

every 3 months we do routine maintenance just to ensure the property doesn’t fall apart, tighten screws here and there and check if everything is still in working condition. 

all this helps to ensure the properties don’t fall apart. I like to stay in my Airbnb when I’m in town and see what guests are experiencing and what I can enhance, plus I miss my home sometimes 🥹

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Bontle1, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I've heard that staying in the property yourself is an excellent strategy for making improvements and seeing things from a guest's perspective. How often do you try to stay in your Airbnb?

-----

Bontle1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi 👋🏾 Paula

Thank you for your response, I try to visit and stay in my properties every 3 months. Sometimes it takes a bit longer than that. It is so helpful to do this for me because one day I remember I was using the shower and the shower head tilted in a manner that looks like it’s broken. So usually u won’t realise some of these things until u use them. 

I hope this is helpful. 

We have employed a professional housekeeper to perform daily cleaning of the property. Furthermore, we conduct a thorough deep cleaning once a month.

Our sanitation practices include using sanitizing products in the bathroom and toilet, addressing dust on walls and under the bed. To prevent bugs, we have installed a small fence on the bathroom window.

Additionally, we enhance the ambiance with pleasant fragrances to ensure a pleasing room aroma. Our dedicated efforts are aimed at satisfying our guests to the best of our abilities.

F-A-R-I-D0
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Me and my wife- always hare 24/7.

also 1 calenar work with me..

it's like t take care 24/7 😊

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Wonderful strategy, @F-A-R-I-D0. Does this mean you also welcome your guests in person? I've read in our community that this is a great strategy for getting to know your guests better.

-----

Gugulethu6
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

I also believe in the full cleaniless of my house and I don’t charge for it. However for longer stays (7 days & more) I now communicate the option of bringing in the housekeeper at the halfway mark of their stay, who can come in to clean and do the linen change for them at cost directly to/with the housekeeper..

Gugu

Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Hi Paula

Our all property we clean through a professional cleaners. We have one permanent cleaner and two part time cleaner. They clean as per 5-star hotel cleaning standard and myself or my partner supervise the cleaning process. We also trained then to keep the place tidy and hygienic.

If the guest stays 3 days or more our cleaning schedule minimum twice a week, if monthly minimum once a week or as request by the guest. We show the guest rubbish bin and disposable plastic bag and the guest sometimes they clean by themselves.

The cleaning materials we use most of them are organic based and all cleaning tools we change once a year or it until good condition. If you keep your property clean and shiny the guest feels good, and they try to keep good also. Don't be panic just improve your cleaning process day by day.

Thank you for reading this article and your valuable time.

Regards
Mizanur

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Md-Mizanur1, thank you very much for sharing all this insightful information, and it's wonderful to have you back after a couple of months. How is everything going on your end? 👉 Are you experiencing a vibrant or calm hosting period?

All the best,

-----