To charge or not to charge for increased power usage for unapproved/unknown guest EV Vehicle?

To charge or not to charge for increased power usage for unapproved/unknown guest EV Vehicle?

Experiencing a few issues with guests who booked for a month in prime season (they received a 30% discount). Guests booked for 2 adults. They did not report their 3 children in the booking. When discovered after the fact, they replied they are all 2 years and under. Hmm. Regardless AIRBNB requires all to be reported, even if no fee associated with it. They seemed put off when I questioned them. the children definitely look 2 years and older. Then they complained about goose poop on the lawn and what can be done about it...I stated gardeners come 1 time week and do their best, but for them to be mindful it is an ocean front property in wilderness, so what do they expect...?    Then to top it off, we received a power increase alert from our service provider. I forwarded copy of this notice to the quests and questioned about their power usage. They replied they are very mindful of power usage and it's because they are there for a month and that's why increase in power (NO mention of having an EV vehicle - even during booking). I disagreed as the place is booked back-to-back every summer and have had long term rentals as well.  Power usage has almost doubled compared to other summer months and last year too. I checked the exact dates of power spike, then checked the security cameras. That's when I discovered they had an EV Vehicle and plugging it in hours on end and overnight (and leaving outside lights on overnight....grrr).  So do I just let it go, or seek additional $?  There is also an EV charging station 7 minutes from the house.  Appreciate feedback.  Thank you.

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you charge more for more people if so them not reporting the children is not key. Except for preparing bedrooms. That's a huge discount to give high season the most I offer is 10%. I don't accept under 2's do you. 

do you have it in your house rules people can't charge their cars.

give the guest the option of continuing to charge their car and pay a daily rate back dated or charge their car elsewhere and pay usage to date .

reiterate the power bill has doubled from normal guest usage in the summer months . @Christine3251 

Hello.

I charge the same amount of money if there is 1 or the total of 6 people renting my cottage.

I believe every group of guest should be telling the truth about how many they are, always.

In the high season I only give a discount for groups renting my place for 7 nights or more.

House rules should include as much as possible, also the fact that they have to charge their EV-vehicle at another place than yours.

I believe every single cost for things should be in one amount, not one for rent, one for cleaning, one for charging EV-vehicle and so on.

Hello @Christine3251 .

First of all;

From what you write this family sounds to me to be the kind of guests neither Airbnb want as members nor I want at my place!

1. my guests always tell me how many they will be, also when someone are coming later and when others are leaving sooner.
By not reporting their 3 children in the booking, that would have been one reason for me to contact Airbnb immediately. I would never discuss this with my guests.

2. Goose poop on the lawn; as a guest one cannot expect that the rental person will remove these, especially when it`s close to lakes, rivers and fjords.

3. The power increase:
If you don`t want your guests to use your outdoor power charger you should say so in your advert, but also tell them where they can find the EV charging station close to your house.

I would never dream of giving this family access to my place.

When there is some kind of trouble with guests always contact Airbnb first of all. They are here to help us.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Christine3251 👋

You've got some wonderful support here from some of our Hosts. Have any of the answers helped? 

If so, it's always a lovely gesture to pop a like on the comments 👍  and mark a best answer ☑️ . It's like a big virtual hug to the members who supported you and the best answer also supports other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated! Unfortunately more saga continues with these guests.

Yes, thank you Rebecca. Gave me more insight.  Thank you for checking.

Cheers!