What kitchen and bathroom products do you leave for guests on long stays?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

What kitchen and bathroom products do you leave for guests on long stays?

123.jpeg

Hello everyone 👋

From different discussions in our community, it's clear that short and long-term stays have unique needs, requiring Hosts to adapt their approach.

For short stays, many Hosts provide essentials like dish soap, laundry detergent, trash bags, shampoo, and lotion. Some even go the extra mile, offering new toothbrushes and deodorant in case a guest forgets theirs.

This raises some questions: do you provide the same items for longer stays? How much of each item do you leave, and how do you calculate the right amount to ensure it's neither too little nor too much?

Share your thoughts in the comments and let's learn from each other’s experiences 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

34 Replies 34
Don60
Level 1
Groton, NY

Hi Paula. The standard bathroom supplies our body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, mouthwash, fresh towels and washcloths, toilet paper, facial tissues, an air freshener. There is no kitchen available. There is a coffee lounge with a small microwave oven, a hot electric kettle that will boil water for instant coffee, tea, or cocoa, some disposable plates and cutlery and cups. There's no cooking allowed in my Airbnb. It's basically just reheating food in the microwave.

Leslee18
Level 1
Minden, Canada

Kitchen has oil , vinegar, coffee pods , mustard, relish and ketchup  papertowes. foil and plastic wrap . Bathroom  soap small sample shampoo's toilet paper and small toothpaste and toothbrush if you have forgoten yours  

Leslee

In a past life, I worked in the hotel/resort industry and I know what a relief it is to find a new toothbrush with toothpaste (sundries) in your room when you've forgotten yours at home.  I've tried carry all that I learned over to our small Airbnb. 

In the kitchen, we keep paper-products (napkins, paper-towels and plates, plastic cutlery) along with regular dishware and cutlery.  A Keurig with pods, a regular coffee maker with filter (no ground coffee) a French-press, and a kettle.   Creamer (power and liquid), sugar and a couple of variety of teas.   The essential cooking spices along with flour and sugar. Dish-liquid, sponge, etc.  Also we have 6 bottled waters in the fridge and 4-Lacroixs (2-Lemon and 2-Lime).

In the bathroom, generally 5-rolls of toilet paper (3-in a holder near the toilet and 2 in the closet).  In one drawer of the sink vanity, we have a box that contains travel deodorant (his and hers), shampoo, shower gel, bar soap, 2-poufs, shaving cream, his and her razors, 2-tooth brushes/paste and individual packets of dental floss.  We also have another little box dedicated to feminine hygiene products - not often used but appreciated!

We rent for no less than 2-nights and no more than 7, but we do supply towels, washcloths, sheets, etc.  We try and make it a home-away-from-home!

Hi Paula,

We consider our long stay guests anybody who stays 6+nights with us. This is what we usually leave a longer stay guest:

Kitchen: Cooking spray oil, coffee, tea, sugar, salt, pepper and coffee filters for the machine. I also leave the usual dishware and cutlery, and pots/pans/cooking utensils. And PLENTY of dish washing detergent and counter top spray cleaner. I'll leave a full roll of paper towel and 2 dish towels to clean up. 

Bathroom: I usually leave a full size container of shampoo, conditioner & body wash. I leave 1 of the following for each guest: 1 face towel, 1 bath towel, 1 pool towel. I usually figure a roll of toilet paper for a week is good +1 spare, and if it's more people or more time I'll leave more.

I live on the property I airBnB, so I let my guests know to shoot me a text on the AirBnB app if they need anything topped up during their stay. I try not to put too much or too little, but you never know someone's preferences. 

Hope that helps. Happy hosting!  

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

Hi Paula, 

My Airbnbs are fully stocked whether there is a long term or short term stay. Items include in the Kitchen: First Aid Kit, band aids (they are in the kitchen with the first aid kit because I believe the kitchen is the first place people go when they need these supplies) fire extinguisher, all cleaning supplies: dishwasher pods, rinse aid, Ajax, Bar Keepers Friend, granite cleaner, stainless steel cleaner, packaged sponges, Windex, furniture polish, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, dish towels, hot pads, hot plates, salt/pepper, spices, trash bags, tea, coffee, bean grinder, french press, water kettle, coffee maker + keurig and an assortment of kcups, 1 bottle of Peligrino, sweetener, sugar, olive oil, vinegar (one for cooking a different one for cleaning), 3 rolls of paper towels, napkins, plastic wrap, plastic bags, foil, hand mixer, rice cooker, full assortment of zwilling pots and pans, pottery barn dishes (service for 12), commercial stainless steel flatware (service for 12). Sur la table cook ware, Zwinkel knives, wine opener, scissors, scotch tape, 8 wine glasses, 6 champagne glasses, various assortment of other glasses (for children and adults) 4 different size sets, Vitamix, plus an assortment of bowls for mixing and serving, glass storage containers, cutting boards, serving platers, baking sheets, etc.  In the bathrooms: full size Dove body wash for sensitive skin, Pantene shampoo and conditioner, vegetable bar soap from Italy, 5 rolls of toilet paper in each bathroom, 3 boxes of kleenex. There are 15 bath towels, 8 hand towels and 8 washcloths, plus 6 beach towels, a step stool so the smaller people can reach the faucets, Dial disinfectant hand soap. - 1 in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen.  There are also "junk" towels that people can use and destroy at their will to save the wear and tear on the white guest bath towels. There is also full sized laundry soap All dermatology tested for sensitive skin, hypoallergenic Bounce Dryer Sheets, stain remover. The homes are always stocked like this no matter if it's a longer term or a shorter term stay. Cheers, Patti

Cynthia24
Level 2
Tyler, TX

I have two different options for guests. One is a 3 bedroom home that mostly goes for extended visits. I leave a small supply of essentials like toilet paper and paper towels but do not feel obligated to provide coffee, garbage bags or dish washing pods. There is a full cabinet of spices they are welcome to use.

My other cabins are in situation where the shower/ bath provisions have to be available for everyone. We provide men and lady’s bath wash, toilet paper and towels and washcloths…extra toothbrushes , razors etc. We just try hard to beans 5 Stars🤪I find most people like to provide their own laundry soap. 
Sometimes,  I get folks that abuse the coffee pods and then there are times no one uses them so I think it comes out okay.

Anny3
Level 4
Southwest Harbor, ME

It doesn't make any difference if someone is coming for a short stay or long's time, this is what I have stocked the house with for the convenience of my guests in the kitchen

I have a stepstool next to the stove the crumb broom next to the stove I have hot pads measuring cups and spoons olive oil and vinegar toothpicks sugar flour salad dressing ketchup and mustard peanut butter coffee &decaf in the fridge there are eight salad plates bowls dinner plates four large serving platters four large serving bowls salad bowl large large lemonade pitcher tea pot French press several sizes of glasses tea kettle, Large traycoffee maker cream baking soda baking powder Bakewell Cream hot sauce tomato sauce cocktail sauce several teas cookie sheets colander cutting board toaster ninja blender for smoothies microwave 17 piece pan set vegetable side dish pans food processor knives mini assorted utensils aluminum foil saran wrap plastic bags all sorts of cleaning supplies and dishwasher soap in the bathroom I have Q-tips panty liners Tylenol Advil thermometer Anbesol for tooth pain anti itch cream phazyme for gas sunscreen aloe vera lotion  Lint roller hairdryer threading needles first aid kit men's shampoo shaving cream razors toothbrushes toothpaste and floss alcohol 16 bath towels 16 hand towels 16 washcloths extra toilet paper in the laundry I have laundry soap and bleach I have an ironing board and spray starch mop broom flyswatter lobster boiler in the front closet there are emergency lunch lanterns in the kitchen there is a fire blanket in the kitchen there are four towels for beach in the bedroom closet there are extra pillows comforters and sheets dehumidifier in the closet in the living room, pens and paper, all sorts of flyers, maps and food suggestions

....and I am sure I have forgotten some things

John2301
Level 2
San Jose, CA

All the above: dish soap, laundry detergent, trash bags, shampoo. Cleaning products as well.

Patricia2834
Level 2
Marietta, OH

The zoning in my town will not allow long term stays (over 28 days).  I also have to pay 6% transient tax on all earnings.  

So, all my guests get the same bathroom sundries of shampoo, conditioner, soap and shower gel.  I also supply toilet tissue, hand sanitizer and dish soap. If the guest is staying more than 3 days, I check mid-week to see if they need clean towels and sheets and restock accordingly. 

I use sample sizes and there is always too much or some left over. I take the left overs and convert them to personal use.  I do wish there was a better way to reduce the waste.  

Richard2048
Level 2
Ontario, CA

Hi Paula, for any stay I leave in the restroom extra toilet paper, Shampoo, Conditioner, and Body wash in unit with individual tubes The Shampoo,  body wash, and Conditioner last two people at least a month or more no one can tell you exactly how long.Toothpaste, toothbrush’s,Deodorant,pink and blue shaves. Started kit. After it all runs out the guest is responsible for these items. I don’t know how long you plan to stay.All other supplies in the kitchen two -three weeks everyone cooks different.How long are you planning to stay? Then I could answer more questions.

Richard Armendariz
Ryne44
Level 2
Temecula, CA

@@Paula it is always nice to show to the Airbnb with at least shampoo, conditioner, toiletries items that you may or may not have. Like bar soap/ body wash and always thinking of toilet paper is a must. We try and leave enough for the guest during their stay.  Essentials is the necessary for each bathroom I believe. 

Steven532
Level 6
Longford, Australia

I generally don't have long stays (28+ nights) but my villas are equipped and maintained the same way, whether short (min 5 nights) or longer.

Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

My longest stay is 9 days, so I don't do anything in addition to what I do for the shorter stays.  I leave several rolls of toilet paper, fresh bar of soap, shampoo, and conditioner in the bathroom.  Usually there is an extra toothbrush and tooth paste.  In the kitchen there is dish detergent and paper towels.

Ali13010
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

@Paula 

Regardless of duration, each guest is equipped with identical kitchen and bathroom amenities. We offer what we term "starter supplies" and encourage guests to procure additional items according to their requirements.

For the bathroom, guests will find 3-4 rolls of toilet paper per bathroom, a large hand soap dispenser, hotel-sized shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bar soap, packaged toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, disposable razor, and travel-sized deodorant.

In the kitchen, amenities include a packaged dish/sink sponge, hand soap dispenser, 8 oz dish soap dispenser, one packaged roll of paper towels, paper napkins, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent pods, laundry softener, trash bags for kitchen and bathroom cans, and an all-purpose kitchen cleaner with rags.

Furthermore, we furnish olive oil, salt, pepper, assorted spices, coffee filters, refillable Keurig pods, packaged sugar, sweetener, and creamer. Please note, refrigerated condiments are not provided.

Sanjeev30
Level 2
Haldwani, India

We have everything enough for long stay.