Which amenities do you believe are under-rated, and why?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Which amenities do you believe are under-rated, and why?

Amenities for GuestsAmenities for Guests

Hello all,

It is a known fact that as a Host, it is important to keep your space updated with the latest amenities to attract guests and provide them with a memorable stay. 

However, often there are some amenities that are easily overlooked. Can you think of any amenities in your listing that might not have got enough attention but have made a significant impact on your guests' experiences? 

Some amenities that can often be considered underrated may include lighting, which can have a significant impact on the mood of a space. Soundproofing can also greatly enhance the privacy of guests. Many Hosts may feel that particular appliances or technologies, such as smart thermostats or high-speed Wi-Fi, are underrated and not fully appreciated for the value they bring.

Let us know your thoughts and personal experiences in the comments below. What amenity do you think is under-appreciated and why?

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

31 Replies 31
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bhumika I think our biomass (arguably zero emissions) central heating system is under rated by guests. A shame as the alternative of oil would have been way cheaper  to buy (£15,000 vs £50,000) and run. Also while the space we offer is often appreciated  one guest gave us 4 stars for accuracy because the place was bigger than they expected!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0, This is definitely a unique initiative I have heard of and a step towards Sustainable Hosting. I hope there are other guests who would appreciate these measures and are inclined toward being environment friendly.

Who would have thought, offering more than expected could lead to a 4 star for accuracy? 😆  

-----

A charger, toothpaste, an umbrella. Either things people can’t pack easily when traveling or things they might forget.

Hello,

While numerous amenities can enhance a guest's experience, some may go unnoticed but still have a significant impact. Here are a few examples:

1. Charging Stations and Power Outlets: In today's tech-savvy world, providing ample charging stations and easily accessible power outlets is crucial. Guests often have multiple devices that require charging, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and cameras. By ensuring convenient access to power, you allow guests to stay connected, charge their devices hassle-free, and enjoy a seamless experience during their stay.

2. High-Speed Internet: A reliable and fast internet connection is no longer a luxury but a necessity. Guests expect to stay connected, whether it's for work, entertainment, or keeping in touch with loved ones. Offering high-speed internet access enables guests to stream content, work remotely, and browse the web without interruptions. This often underrated amenity can greatly enhance the overall guest experience and satisfaction.

3. Kitchen Essentials: While a fully equipped kitchen is commonly appreciated, paying attention to the smaller details is important. Including amenities like spices, cooking oils, tea and coffee supplies, and basic condiments can make a significant difference. These items save guests the trouble of purchasing or packing these essentials and provide a homely touch, allowing them to prepare meals easily and enjoy their stay to the fullest.

4. Extra Linens and Towels: Having an ample supply of fresh linens and towels goes a long way in ensuring guest comfort. Guests may require additional towels for longer stays or extra linens if they prefer to change bedding during their visit. You demonstrate thoughtfulness and attentiveness by providing these amenities without guests needing to request them, enhancing their overall satisfaction.

5. Local Recommendations and Information: Guests often appreciate insider knowledge about the area they're staying in. By providing a curated list of local recommendations for restaurants, attractions, transportation, and other points of interest, you can help them explore the destination more easily. This amenity adds value to their stay and allows them to discover hidden gems or experience the local culture.

Samantha1164
Level 2
Austin, TX

My approach after 10 years of hosting on and off is to provide 5 star service with amenities regardless if the guests mentioned it or not. We all deserve happiness and relaxation!

Couple funny stories around amenities:

-One guest called me a couple days into a multi-month stay asking for blackout shades years ago (although not in the listing at all). Who knew that was so important and regular shades were not enough. 

-I used to leave a bottle of wine, crackers and cheese for weekend stayers and several times the wine would still be in the basket at the end of the stay! That one I never got. 🙂 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Haha @Samantha1164, some amusing stories!

Am curious what did you do about the shades then😆? Did you let the guests know that it was not mentioned in the listing? What did they say!

Ah! Love the concept of offering wine (I would have had it all🍷). Do you still offer it to your guests? Or changed those to non-alcoholic beverages?

-----

In this case, I added black-out curtains. I think it was like $20 dollars at Ross and half an hour to install.  She was very happy. 

We actually moved to bottled waters in the fridge + the normal coffee and tea. 

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi!

I agree with the other comments: wifi, smart locks, charging stations, a great guidebook, extra linens and towels and condiments/adequate cookware is key.  

Here are some others:

1) An air filter - for dust, smells, wildfire smoke (more common in the summers now).

2) House slippers for guests that they can take home with them as we ask them to take off their shoes in our space.
3) Good lighting to their door (motion sensors) for guests coming back late have been appreciated.

4) An anti fatigue mat for the kitchen - I only got one in the past few years and it really helps!

5) Heated floors - our guests love this feature.

6) Flowers/potted plants near the entryway, a hanging basket of flowers next to the door is a welcome treat!  Especially if the fuschias and petunias attract local hummingbirds.

7) Bird feeder - get a no mess mix - the chirping birds and bird watching from the windows are appreciated.

😎 Cotton swabs/rounds/make up removal wipes

9) Floss, mouth wash and small Dixie cups - I hate bringing mouth wash when I travel.

10) Snacks to welcome the weary traveler (fruit, crackers, chocolate, popcorn, oatmeal packs).

11) An organizer that hangs off the bedframe for their drink, tablet, book, glasses. 

12) Touch lamps for next to the bed - So you don’t have to get out of bed to turn on/off the lights.

13) Lounging patio furniture - even if it’s not ideal weather, the promise of a patio lounging set appeals to me when I travel and makes me think AHHH relaxation with a cool drink in hand.

14) Coffee/tea/cream/sugar - people love their morning cup of coffee or tea!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Woah! @Lorina14 ,

Thank you so much for sharing this checklist! This is so much helpful for our new hosts who may be looking for useful amenities to add to their listing.

I had a look at your listing, and it is simply WOW!!😍 Totally love the look and feel of it.

Are there any other amenities that your guests love and don't forget to mention in their reviews, other than the heated floors?

-----

Hi Bhumika!  Thanks for your message!  

Some things I forgot:

1) A cooler with ice packs in the freezer for a day trip or picnic.

2) Filtered water and filtered cold water in the fridge.

3) A bench or chair to sit on to change your shoes.  We have storage in it and put an umbrella, card games, an extension cord, a surge protector.  
4) If you have a kitchen:

-plastic storage bags for snacks/food storage, or a quart sized one for TSA liquids

-foil

-plastic wrap

-pot holders

-twist ties/winner bands

-post-it notes

-pen

-highlighter

-tape

-scissors

-some disposable utensils

-plastic bag holder for store plastic bags (when you need something to store your dirty shoes to pack)

-some clean takeout containers for storing food (If I road-trip I usually have a few)

5) toothbrush holder

6) coasters (to protect your furniture)

7) guestbook for notes or tips to other travelers

😎 luggage rack (I never used these when I was younger but now see their value)

9) clothes hanging rack (in case you have some clothes that got wet, or that you had to hand wash)

Eddie370
Level 1
Houston, TX

Our place is at the beach and we always inform guests that we have beach toys available. Including a wagon, chairs, pool floats and sand digging shovels. I also noticed our last guest had driven down with a cargo mate attached to the top of the large SUV and couldn’t reach it until he used the ladder from my storage room. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Eddie370 l read your reviews and can see how much guests appreciate all the amenities you provide🤩.

Your listing is stunning!! What is your most favorite part about your listing?

-----

Jules155
Level 4
Banner Elk, NC

Tea Kettle and assorted teas

Umbrella and plastic one-use packaged rain slicker

Thermal  insulated picnic bag

Fire starter, plenty of free wood and Marshmallow sticks

Sound machine

Journal and Pens

Fresh Flowers

Postcards with pictures of the farm to take with them.

Fresh eggs from our chickens

Dental kits

Directions to hike up to the top of our farm and rest on the bench under the hawk tree. 

Local pottery mugs and coffee

A note to look for the full moon that rises over the mountain.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This is awesome @Jules155 !!

I like how you mention some personalized and unique things like post cards, journals, directions to hike up the mountains and notes. I am sure this must have been well appreciated by the guests.

What a lovely sight to behold it must be during full moon! 🌕😍

I had a look at your listing and it says 100 years old!!!!! AMAZING it is. Would love to hear all about it🤩.

-----