So... Los Angeles on Nov 17-19...! Ideas for an Aussie Couple?!

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

So... Los Angeles on Nov 17-19...! Ideas for an Aussie Couple?!

We'll be coming from Melbourne, Australia again this year and I think this'll be my 3rd visit to LA... I'm hoping to really sink into the more local experience having done all the tourist things. We're actually flying all the way to NYC via Mexico or Cuba and then coming back via LA... well, that's the current plan. 🙂

Looking forward to discovering a few great ideas whilst in town!  

19 Replies 19
Dennis-And-Gwen0
Level 3
Mornington, Australia

Hi Paul, A suggestion from a non-local....Have you been to the Getty Villa. I have not been there but it is on my list if/when I get to LA again. Dennis

Make sure you make reservations for the day you want to attend (Getty Malibu).  If you don't have a reservation you might not be able to get in.  The Getty Museum is free and I don't believe you need reservations for this one. If you park in the Getty Malibu and you want to do both museums in the same day you can use your $15 parking at both museums. It must be the same day.

Margurete0
Level 2
Ballina, Australia

Hi guys,
I'm also planning to go to the open.
My Airbnb is in Ballina the far north coast,maybe we can meet and say hi?
Margurete
Jude4
Level 2
Coromandel, New Zealand

If the Open is in downtown LA then I would definitely stay in Santa Monica. I just did a four day stint there to recoup from a month in Cuba. Great public transport and s lovely place to stay.

Hi Jude. From Australia and owner of two Open2016 tickets! No accomm or flights booked. Was going to go SYD/LAX/SYD but you have me thinking of Cuba now. Ie, a few days for the open, then elsewhere? Only looking at 2 weeks all up. (Have a few guests that time of year). You mention Santa Monica where I spent a couple of nights 30 years ago. Is it hard to get to downtown from S.M or are we better off spending the 4-5 nights in one spot in downtown. Ideally, would like to spend a couple of nights, then move to another place so we can have different experiences. Room not that important as we tend to be out and about but location is.

Leslie0
Level 6
Santa Monica, CA

Check my listing guidebook. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3506410  but here are some suggestions that aren't the usual tourist magnets. 

Take a day trip to one of the Channel Islands; visit one or all of these iconic examples of Los Angeles residential architecture: the Stahl House;  the Frank Lloyd Wright Hollyhock House;  the Schindler House; the Eames House; hike the Backbone Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains; climb up the Santa Monica stairs to Adelaide Drive, the most beautiful street in Santa Monica, and view the house Frank Gehry is building for himself--maybe it will be completed by then. Take the Expo line from Santa Monica to DTLA, visit the Broad Museum, the Public Library (don't laugh, it has some incredible art, sculpture etc), visit the Bradbury Building (it had a starring role in Blade Runner and many other movies), take a tour of Disney Hall, eat lunch at the Grand Central Market, Check out the UCLA Sculpture Garden, jog or walk through Palisades Park at sunset. Take a Hollywood sign selfie (search " Take the ultimate Hollywood sign selfie on this Griffith Park hike" for directions). While you are at it, visit the Griffith Park Observatory and pretend you are James Dean for a moment. Catch a drag show at the Abbey in West Hollywood. Visit the Watts Towers and eat at LocoL. Stop by the Blue Whale Bar in Little Tokyo for some jazz and cocktails....

Feel free to message me if you want specific suggestions tailored to your interests.

Hey guys, you share some beautiful traveling description of Los Angeles like A to Z. To see your info a keen interest raised in my mind to go there enjoy some days. I think the rental property is available there.

Tokyo-Explorer0
Level 1
Tokyo, Japan

I'll be coming over to Airbnb Open from Japan and am looking for a place to stay. Since the information is very limited, I don't even know where this event will be taking place, although I am assuming that it will be held somewhere in downtown LA. Does anyone recommend which area will be best to stay?? It would be great if I can stay in a place where transport is very good because I would prefer not renting a car.

Thanks!

Hi.  It is hard to plan without more details but staying in the downtown area would be best if you want to take public transport.  You can take a bus from LAX to Union Station which is downtown and either metro or uber from there.  Or spring for an uber from the airport!

Looking forward to getting more details so we can all get it together!  I live outside the City and plan to take the commuter train Metrolink to get into the City each day.  I hate LA traffic!

Take Care!

Sherri

Hi Sherri and thanks for your advice. We have managed already to book a place right in downtown LA and it seems to be only 2-3 blocks from some of the venues so once there, looks like we can just walk everywhere (or Uber). Really looking forward to it. Prior to LA, we are going to do a side trip to Cuba and hope to stay exclusively with AirBnB hosts. Nothing planned just yet apart from return tickets to LA from Sydney. Just saw the new Vacation movie to learn more about American culture. Fantastic movie. Is WallyWorld close to the venue?

There are plenty of Wallys in Au surely....?

Hi Christine

Yes, plenty of Wallies here! Had just finished watching the new Vacation movie when I made that post. Brought back memories of the original Wally World.

Hi there, i've started to look for places today - have you found anything suitable - I'm thinking of around Silver Lake area, so up for sharing a house? I'm travelling over from Scotland so would want to get there for 16th or even 15th until 20th? thanks David

Hi David,

My name is Deb - I am a host from Whitefish Montana.  I would love to share a place.  I will be arriving evening of the 16th and departing evening of the 20th.

You can reach me via my profile https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/4953024

or via email at [personal information hidden]

Thank you.  Deb