Why does Airbnb have business in the occupied terretories in Palestine?

Bjorn26
Level 1
Reykjavik, IS

Why does Airbnb have business in the occupied terretories in Palestine?

This  goes against all the nice words on the companies homepage about fairness and inclusion. 

What has Airbnb to say to the people that lived on this land before it was taken by force? Are they included? Is it fair to take other peoples land if you are strong enough to do so? 

Does the company intend to go on doing buissness on occupied land - In Palestine - or elsewhere around the world?

Members of the Airbnb community want answers from the company so we can decide if we want to be a part of this community or not.

8 Replies 8
Ann764
Level 2
Örebro, Sweden

I am eagerly waiting for the answer from airbnb on this.

Thinking of shifting to fairbnb. Have anyone here experience? I have had many issues with what airbnb has become.

Donald194
Level 6
Onich, United Kingdom

Yes, AirBnB have lost it completely.  Better deal with an honourable company like Booking.com, Expedia, HomeAway etc,

Donald194
Level 6
Onich, United Kingdom

Hi Bjorn

I somehow doubt if AirBnB will defend the Palestinian cause.

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Well put Bjorn.  We need to see culture change at Airbnb.

Airbnb are Snakes.
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Bjorn26 @Paul60 @Donald194 @Ann764

Airbnb has already been down this road.. and right back up it again..

On Nov 19 2018, the company issued a global press release stating.. 

"When we applied our decision-making framework, we concluded that we should remove listings in Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank that are at the core of the dispute between Israelis and Palestinians" https://news.airbnb.com/listings-in-disputed-regions/

Airbnb Removes West Bank Settlement Listings
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46269704

But then, some very rich and very powerful people got involved, resulting in Airbnb capitulating to their demands and doing a complete U-turn on their own stated intentions.. 

Airbnb Reverses Policy Banning Listings in Israeli Settlements
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/world/middleeast/airbnb-israel-west-bank.html

Airbnb resumes listings in illegal Israeli settlements | Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/airbnb-resumes-listings-in-illegal-israeli-settlements

@bjorn26 @Paul60 @Donald194 @Ann764.     I know I am late to the party on this conversation, but I just became aware of AirBnB's policy regarding listings in occupied territories. Since the genocide of Palestinian peoples has intensified over the last couple months I thought there would be some changes to AirBnB's policy. Sadly it is not the case. Has anyone tried other hosting services?

A very interesting situation is playing out with BDSlite and Airbnb. Let me start by catching people up. Roughly a month ago Human Rights Watch (HRW) a prominent USA human rights group with a long history of hostile articles about Israel published a report, Bed and Breakfast on Stolen Land Tourist Rental Listings in West Bank Settlements.

MyVanilla

Pascale551
Level 1
Saint-Brieuc, France

I  agree with the terms of this conversation. (see first text written by Bjorn26 from Reykjavik, on the 12-02-2020 and following ones)

(je suis d'accord avec les terms de cette conversation)

"Why does Airbnb have business in the occupied terretories in Palestine ?"

Pourquoi Airbnb fait-il du commerce dans les territoires occupés de Palestine ?

This goes against all the nice words on the companies homepage about fairness and inclusion..
Cela va à l'encontre des belles paroles inscrites sur la page d'accueil de la compagnie à propos de justice et d'inclusion !

Like Donald194, I'll try to deal with Booking.com, Expedia or HomeAway...

Comme Donald194, je vais m'intéresser à Booking.com et autres sites équivalents...

Let us hope that Human Rights Watch can make this situation known widely, so that it can stop !

Espérons que l'asso HWR puisse faire en sorte que ce soutien scandaleux de Airbnb à la politique israélienne de colonisation soit mieux connue de tous et permette une plus forte mobilisation du grand public,

Pascale, from Brittany, France