Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gillian166@Huma0,

Since Airbnb has been steering the listings to be more like traditional OTAs I would be very happy if they'd allowed multiple listings that are located at the same address to appear on the same page, like how Booking does. 

Debra300_0-1653102102095.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

No, actually, I am not sure if I make a big point of having other listings, although I do mention that there is more than one guest room so the guests will be sharing with me and other guests. 

I think that's a good idea to make more of a point of it as a lot of guests see one listing and don't realise there are others.

Katherine815
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hello - 

Since I signed up with airbnb over a month ago, I have received at least two requests or inquiries a week, often more. Since the update May 11 I have not had a single message from any potential guests - NOT ONE - and my viewing stats are dropping like a stone (over 1300 last week, fewer than 900 this week over the 30 day period). I have checked my listing, done searches as a traveller, and I think I am seeing it correctly but I’m new to this and I can’t be sure I’m searching properly and not missing something. There is definitely something wrong and, judging by what others are asking and seem to be concerned about when searching for their properties, I would assume I’ve got a problem that is making the new algorithm drop me or put me somewhere I’m not supposed to be. 

Anyone else have this problem? Andy support people feel like helping me?

K

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katherine815 

A lot of hosts (including me) seem to be experiencing a drop in views since this update, so that might also be the case with your listing.

Bear in mind though that Airbnb automatically gives new listings a boost in the search results during the first month, so it's not unusual to see your views/bookings dive after that first month. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened and it could be due to the general changes at Airbnb, bit it could be a contributing factor in your case.

Thank you @Huma0 - I actually didn’t know that so it’s very helpful to have that explained to me. 

While I would then say that it is certainly a contributing factor, I also spoke with them tonight and they also agreed my listing is not coming up when an individual searches the area and then adds the new “beach” or “beachfront” filter. They asked me to remove and reload that amenity and then wait 48 hours to see if it worked.

My fingers are tightly crossed that this will help get me back to new bookings. At least I now know one component is that that my “boost” is likely over (terrible timing)! 

K

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Katherine816 

Ok, let us know if reloading it works. My fear (based on what other hosts have reported here) is that it's actually the system that is not allowing beachfront listings to show up in that category (same with other categories) and it's a standard CS response to imply that it's a glitch on your phone or device when they know full well that it's not.

So this new update did for most hosts' listings what Cecilia Jimenez did for the Ecce Homo.

Andrew0_3-1652976022521.jpeg

Woops.

@Anonymous   And trying to get someone to listen reminds me of this Monty Python sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvTBkjL6Dxo

"Your listing isn't dead, it's pining for the Fjords"

Jesse192
Level 6
Boulder, CO

Why on earth did Airbnb launch a major redesign at the beginning of the summer season in the US?

I've had almost no bookings since this rollout.  It's my high season, I live in a summer tourist destination, and I can't afford to take a hit on earnings like this.   Previously, I never even considered listing on another platform - I could book my entire calendar on Airbnb.  

But NOW - now I'm definitely going to invest the effort to create a listing on VRBO.  It will be painful, starting from scratch and building up a reputation on another platform.  But it appears necessary.

Marcy65
Level 2
Cherry Log, GA

I'm seeing MANY and I mean MANY cabins that are listed as a farm. This is horribly inaccurate and detracting from my stay which is different for the area. Also, when searching the area then selecting a category, the search map now provides results that are hundreds of miles away from the searched location. If someone says they're flexible with where they're going, I can understand this being the map results. Not when an area is searched for and then a category is selected. I was even contacted by Airbnb to have my farm used as part of the marketing push materials. Zero added benefit to me from it. So happy I could help a platform with marketing photos, now they won't return the favor. Instead they keep my SEO low, and doesn't even have my farm appear on the map when someone searches the "Farm" category. 

Marcy S.
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Marcy65 I've captured yours and others' comments here about incorrect Categories and the search functionality more widely, and shared them with the team. Thank you for all the feedback!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Dave-And-Ruth0
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

OMG l just tried to search and it's really hard to navigate good luck amazing how that saying if it's not broken don't fix it  

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

The whole premise of this rollout is flawed. 

hypothesis: nowadays people are working differently

conclusion: therefore they travel differently

what now??????????! 

did they undergo a personality transformation (ok well maybe... the last 2 years has left its mark on all of us in some way) - so suddenly they are interested in historic castles in france?

did they get a raise?  - and now can afford more expensive vacations ??
did they get more time off?  - and now have a whole month to vacation in France, with their dog. ???

oh, and let's assume that whatever is happening in Nth America behaviourally is sufficient research to roll out across the globe. Well nothing new there!!  ["summer" rollout haha]

@Gillian166 

I love your comments 😉

Thanks for the great laughter in these time of post confinement, we need that free spirit  !!

Annie

@Annie1372  haha, well snark and laughter is my coping mechanism.