Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

@Mark116  I think one of my main problems is loss of my unique listing title. Now I'm lumped in with all the other spaces competing on listing price. There's nothing to draw anyone in - unless one goes the route of massive discounts.   

Ironically, "Smart" pricing had me at almost 3 times my regular price, and I had to go in and make adjustments. 

I'm glad I already decided this was going to be shutdown year - I never expected they would make the timing of that decision on my behalf. 

ETA: I just did a test search for my place on the map. I have to zoom in pretty much right to the block I'm on for it to even come up. The location area is vanishingly small. 

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As a professional user researcher and usability testing professional for the last twenty years, including on other OTAs, you can imagine I am absolutely livid about this. 

@Michelle53 
What no yellow submarine or tree house?  You're doomed.

@Susan1188    I did just build raised beds for planting vegetables. Maybe, instead of filling them all with soil, I'll just put in a couple of air mattresses, cover them with a tarp, and call it "Camping With Cabbages".    Oh, wait... custom titles don't show up....but maybe I can put in a photo of Lake Michigan and come up in a waterfront category.

@Michelle53 looking out my back door I think I could rustle up a couple of ' shepherds huts' without too much concern they seem pretty popular or make everyone sleep outside in the winter and call it 'glamping under the stars' . Maybe throw in a torch . H

Caves are big this year , I have heard. H

I think we should all put in random photos of chickens to get into the farm stay category. 

Nancy1633
Level 10
Hoboken, NJ

The "new" AirBnb sucks. Hosts are noticing bookings plummet, guests are leaving the site because the platform is forcing ARBITRARY "weeks", misdirecting them on the locations they want to book, confusing them.  My sister, for example; gave up after trying to book specific dates in a particular NC location. 

Chesney's cockamamie "nomad" theory may apply to 1% of travelers-- if that much-- oh, but the billionaire genius knows better!  He's stripped away our unique and descriptive listing titles,  forced arbitrary "weeks"  on our guests,  made our properties unfindable, hijacked our booking calendars! 

Imagine the hubris, to be so callous about the livelihoods of the people whose investment and labor (Hosts) built his company. Chesney shows contempt for the ordinary traveler who knows when he/she wants to book, what location he/she wants to book-- and not in a treehouse or igloo or architectural anomaly. 

People, it's time to find alternatives. Chesney has bit the hand that feeds him. An ego that bloated will not admit a mistake.  What a shame, this  platform used to be great. 

100% on spot

I would think this message board is a reflection of how [lots of] hosts feel about the new summer release. Im surprised there has been no update or roll back.. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Molly396 We've shared all these comments and those in other discussions with the team, we'll keep let you know as and when we get any more clarifications or relevant news. 🙂

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Airbnb has destroyed my primary income without notice. as a mother of young children, this is a crime.

when I called they reacted as though it was the first they heard of the complaints.

@Natasha-and-John0 agreed I don’t know how much longer this can continue not sustainable for us. When I called the person who answered told me the same thing. First of this type of complaint! 

@Natasha-and-John0 wrote:

when I called they reacted as though it was the first they heard of the complaints.

it's like they haven't heard of the internet, or this forum (or others!)
there's plenty of jabbering on FB and tiktok too, plenty of hosts are talking about this.