Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

@Stephanie365 I agree that directing guests to areas a long ways from where they searched will piss them off. It will just take awhile for AirBnB to see that and do something about. First, they’ll excuse it as “a transition period”. Then, it will sink in that it didn’t work as they thought. 

Chesky said, on March 20th at the Morgan Stanley Technology conference “if we can point demand where we have supply, that is actually the equivalent of adding millions of more homes.”.  So they are deliberately trying to move guests away from places in high demand, but necessarily based on population density. Although they are probably trying to do as you say, too, to avoid more regulations or even getting banned. 

That just happened to us 2 days ago. Folks thought they book Lake of Ozarks but booked instead hours away I. Southern Illinois. 

I would also add that I own in a small market in NC and manage properties for others in IL and TN,. It’s all pretty quiet. Middle TN an hour away from Nashville has a little more, but still unusually quiet for this time of year even prior to Covid.

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We rely on bookings for weddings, funerals, memorial services, performers, speakers... People who need to come to thus town on specific dates. The new interface makes it incredibly difficult.

Only two bookings since 11th May, and both of them found us on Google, not on Air.

Google search results has full host property title, while Air search results does not!! This is insane!! An apartment with two bathrooms is unusual - it's in our property title, which has now vanished from search results. Nobody, ever, located the bathrooms filter on Air (try it).

We will have to move to other platforms etc. Just booked the photographer, bought the domain names, organising a new site for direct bookings. Next stop VRBO etc.

Wendy1171
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

Our flat in Hastings England was booked all the time.  I have had 2 inquires, inquires not bookings since Airbnb made the change.  What happened!?   Help!

Lisa34
Level 10
Murphysboro, IL

We are in such a less populated market in NC. It’s crickets. When I search my area it sends me to Gatlinburg, TN. One of the most popular markets in the US. It’s hours away. We led our small market and now nothing. I mean nothing. 

Lisa34
Level 10
Murphysboro, IL

We will adapt, but this is brutal for some hosts after struggling through Covid closures or if they are a start up. 

Lisa34
Level 10
Murphysboro, IL

I was posting to a conversation on Facebook and thought I would paste the comment here as the information still stands.

Yes, please give feedback. I will be pasting this into the community conversation on platform as well.

I do think Airbnb has a great concept here but so far the roll out has been less than stellar. I manage properties in smaller markets in 3 different states. Our views are WAY down, so this idea of directing people to less populate areas does not seem to be working well.

When I search my own area I am directed to a major market hours away. Our bookings have slowed to a crawl.

When I look at views for “similar listings” in our area they are also down.

When I search and use the new categories searching the area of NC where our main listings are it shows 2 listings and then takes you hours away to a major market in TN.

When I searched for a trip for next week it was suggesting trips 279 miles away from where I am, which is fine, but also as far as Africa. Seriously too far and there is no way to limit the scope of the miles you are willing to travel or if you are willing to fly.

The way I see it, the categories are a great way for people to easily narrow the field of choices based on what they are interested in or the way they travel. It could make travel easier. After overwhelming choice can be paralyzing. There are many studies that bear this out.

As things stand right now you would have to wade through even more listings on different continents. Cool if you are curious and traveling by checking out listing. Not too cool if you actually are planning a trip. Serious travelers have already made the decision of where and if they haven’t there is an easier way to help them consider new places. I know I would be much less inclined to do all the work required of this new landing page.

As a matter of fact the trip we were planning for next week, on whim,  probably won’t pan out just because it seems too hard. Not good.

Constructive Suggestions:
1) allow user to drawn a circle on the map, like you can in Google Maps, to limit the scope of the search area when looking at a category.
2) remove the one week default setting. It is confusing and implies there are no other weeks until those dates at the listing you are viewing. (I was shown dates in January for our properties. We have many other weeks including one two weeks from now I would love to fill.)
3) Allow hosts to opt into these categories. Time and reviews will sort it all out. That way it could be populated more quickly and possibly just as accurately. Maybe Design could be vetted, but then it seems a lot like Plus but without the non-compete.
4) Add the number of total reviews back to that landing page. It is useful information.
5) Do not allow the algorithm to select photos that are not in play by the host. (It selected my utility wall on the back of my house with HVAC in the center of the screen as my lead image.)
6) Add glass houses as a category. (Selfish, but that is what I look for and no one makes that easy to find.)

I’m sure I will have more, but this is a start.

IMO it is a good concept but should have been tested better and fully populated before rolling out, as this seems frustrating on the hosting side and the guest side.

Heather1479
Level 2
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

My property views and bookings have plummeted since the new listing update came out. Is there anything I need to do to get my listing figures up again?

Peggy137
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Yeah, I'd also like to know. 

When I put in a search for Sedona my listing comes up for a week in Sept, high season, with the high prices. Right now is low season. I have a feeling if someone puts in without the specific days the search engine seems to randomly choose the most expensive time. People see high season prices in low season and aren't interested to pursue it further. Thats all I can figure cause my listing is now showing but no one is booking.

That could be remedied by adjusting prices manually.

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Straw poll on local ABB host FB community.

Rural county mostly, not one of the bigger destinations. Would have expected redesign to benefit, according to ABB.

Results:

Views down or nonexistent 72%

Views the same 28%

Views up 0%

@Louise1097 

Rural location in Catskill Mountains. Cozy log cabin, packed with amenities including a private cedar barrel sauna. 

Only 2 bookings since the redesign-- the summer is still wide open. Bookings were flowing in, I was anticipating a full summer.  What a disaster. Already on VRBO. 

AirBnb is a faithless partner. 

We were heading towards a full summer too.

I relied on the host-defined property title to indicate this apartment has one bathroom for each bedroom. People cannot find the bathroom filter!

Now we have next to no views, no wishlist additions (249 last year), not much at all.

Two people have found us via Google search... because Google search results give full ABB title whereas ABB search results itself does not. This is insane.

I’m so sorry Louise. Having similar issues here in Vermont with our listings. Can you share how you can see your wish list count? I didn’t know that was an option. I also saw another member mentioned that they could see the number of views on “similar listings“ - who knew?