Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

I agree with you, Laramie & Wendi. This is a very dangerous policy. Will it take something very bad to happen for Airbnb to get their senses back? They are unwittingly putting hosts in danger. I post a picture with myself and my husband because I don't want anyone to think that I am alone when I go to our property, but it is I alone that usually takes care of all the reservations and the property. Guests can go on our personal page and learn all about me and see all our photos. I did this so that guests can feel safe in our home. What about our feelings of safety as hosts? Many times guests don't even have a write-up about who they are. And no real verifications or feedback.

These our are sentiments exactly Laramie and Wendi.

We are also Superhosts as well as Plus. I would suggest you do what we do, which is set your minimum pricing to something you think will keep out the "riff-raff." While i have smart pricing on, i always get my minimum and sometimes get more. I'd rather that than feel the property isn't valued. I posted on the previous page as well that we have never declined a booking in all years we've been Airbnb hosts unless the usage was not consistent with our House Rules. I do believe there are other ways to determine whether or not a host is employing discriminating practices (i.e. the rate of declines, patterns, etc). After all, we're not on a game show like "The Voice" nor are we hotels with security, and there is something to be said for having as much information on a person who is requesting to stay on your property. 

In order to ensure a chance at booking one must be competitive in the area market. When I started 3 years ago there was not as many people doing this. Now the space is much more crowded and the area does not command a decent price. After tax, fees, etc it adds up.

I myself just took a trip to FL and even with a $100 credit the AirBnB's were right up there.

I ended up booking a La Quinta!

The gang members were the only guest requests I did not want because of their manner. And I did not decline but only answered after the 24 hr request time in order not to create any kind of retaliation. We can get enough of that from an unrealistic guest.

Lynne122
Level 2
Taupo, NZ

This is the first change that I have been unhappy about. I like to know who I am letting into my home......... we share the space so I need to feel comfortable. Lets hope that after an initial trial, that air b and b will go back to the original plan of having photos on profiles that can be seen prior to accepting a booking. Having said all that, I  have never turned down a booking because of a photo. There was only one person who's photo made me a bit nervous................ although I still accepted him. It was of a young man who looked a bit rough for me, covered in tatts and smoking on a cigarette...... I had a sleepless night of worry before he arrived. Ha but when he arrived, he turned out to be a really lovely polite young man, and was travelling with his parents. Lovely guests. However I still don't think this change is neccessary. Wrong wrong.

Bobi3
Level 2
Orange, CA

Not ok with this change.  Today I literally have a guest with no reviews with his tongue out in profile pic and it gives me a slight indication that he may be rowdy or troublesome and gives me a chance to ask him to confirm he's ok with no parties, or smoking, etc.  I'd hate to accept this guy first then see his pic.  

@Bobi3, this is exactly right. The photos give us some clues about what kind of guest the person will be. But, this common sense doesn't seem to register with the management at Airbnb, who are more interested in pushing the latest trends than protecting their bread and butter - i.e. we hosts. 

You are so right, Bobi and John!

I had a guy covered in Tats and leather. We corresponded a few times before I felt confident to book him. He was obliging and understood that I needed to feel comfortable with him staying at our place. He said he was here for job interviews, although he looked like a biker. In the end, when I meet him he was a really great guy. I did not discriminate based on his photo but rather was able to ask a few more questions to get to know him to get a better feel for his visit. In the end, his stay was successful. My point is that most hosts don't discriminate against guests based on their photo. It is just a tool to make educated guesses as to who would be appropriate to stay in our homes. 

Sally315
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Where is the option to select Profile photo mandatory? I can't see it on my web yet.

There is none. Best you can get is host reviews, which puts first timers at a distinct disadvantage because of the photo ban.

Luca511
Level 7
New York, NY

If guests can’t expose themselves we shouldn’t expose our homes. One sided decision. 

Simon600
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I agree to this feature on principle for the benefit of guests, a comparison needs to be made to booking a hotel room online of which I have never been asked to provide a photo before booking, saying that the overwhelming majority of issues i have had with guests bebit small issuesissue been from  guests that don't have their face as a profile picture rather a dog their children.

Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

Very onesided!!!!!!

As Hosts, we are the ones making Airbnb money! If they didn't have our homes to list then they would not be in business! How can they decide to risk our wellbeing by making this biased and onesided decision? Shame on you Airbnb!

Kimberly73
Level 2
Toowoomba, Australia

I have been hosting on airbnb for 5 years. I have been a super host for atleast 2 of those years. I am not racist nor discriminatory. I am, however, intuitive...

Hosts should have as much control over a booking as possible, as it is our home, our safety and security.

I am frustrated in that we had this control previously, yet it’s been taken away from us. Airbnb takes more and more of the booking fees in the process as well.

Lynne122
Level 2
Taupo, NZ

Following on, I have just been into my account and cannot find anywhere where I can go to settings and change my preferences. Grrrr.