[April 29th] The Host Talk - Sustainability

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[April 29th] The Host Talk - Sustainability

Adicionar um título (2).png

Hey everyone,

After the CC social’s success, a few members have shared their desire to have a new type of online get-together where we could have more Hosting focused conversations.

With that in mind, we have decided to give your idea a go! 😊

Apart from the Social meet-up, we now have The Host Talk, a Community Center meeting for sharing and discussing pre-chosen Hosting related topics. 

We plan on giving you guys the chance to vote on your preferred subjects in the future, but to kick things off, this first session will have the theme of Sustainability.🐛

@Anna1403 , our sustainability focused HAB member, will be joining the conversation with fellow hosts who are interested in sharing their experience and coming up with insights for a more sustainable way of Hosting.

The meet-up will take place on Thursday April 29th, 3:30PM (BST).

Timezones:

Thursday April 29th, 9:30AM (Kansas City / Pensacola, Florida)

Thursday April 29th, 10:30AM (New York / Toronto)

Thursday April 29th, 4:30PM  (Spain)

Thursday April 29th, 11:30PM (Seoul)

Friday April 30th, 00:00 AM (Darwin)

Friday April 30th, 00:30 AM (Melbourne) 

If you would like to join, please register before the start time by clicking here.

Not sure how to use Zoom? Check out this CC guide

Have you got any sustainability related questions you would like to to ask fellow hosts? Is there any specific discussion you’d like to have around this theme? 🌿

Let us know below so we can pick a few  suggestions to get our conversation started.

I’m really looking forward to chatting with you 💚

Thanks a lot and I’ll see you there!

Liv

109 Replies 109
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mary996 @Alexandra316 @Dale711 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Christine615 @Debra300 @Laurelle3 @Clarice5 

Hey everyone,

If you'd like to find out more about @Anna1403 before the meet-up, you can have a read and chat with her here🌺

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Anna1403 

Here we are talking about you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liv  If you are going to post times when a meeting takes place, please state it as to official time zones, not place names. "UK time zone" isn't the name of the time zone and posting what time that is in a few cities isn't helpful. 

You need to state UTC, BST, PST, CST, etc.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

This is the normal nomenclature we use for the social meetups and is done for the regular attendees benefit - that's why we have chosen the cities we have. 

I do agree on your point though! Perhaps we can have both the city and the time zone to satisfy both?

In any case, are we going to see a rare appearance of @Sarah977 this week? 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a good point, @Sarah977. Thanks for that.

I've added BST to make it clearer!

Hopefully we'll see you at the meet-up 😊

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Cominggggg 😊 @Liv @Stephanie 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's great, @Paul1255!

Please let us know if you have any suggestions of topics you'd like to talk about.

I'm looking forward to seeing you there 😊

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I can’t get to the registration page for the event, the link keeps taking me back to the OP @Liv 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul1255,

Can you try this link? 😊

Hopefully that should work, but please let me know if you're still unable to register.
Thanks!

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Thanks @Liv  for the invitation. We’ll have our meet-up today with the Italian CC, so may be I’ll skip that tomorrow. Happy meeting!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angela1056 No worries, hopefully we'll see you next time!

Have fun at the Italian meet-up 😊

I'm restoring a house on the National Register for Historic Places in Arena, Wisconsin (30 mins. west of the State Capitol). Since it's in the country, I will be using a close line to dry sheets and towels more often and will use quick-dry towels to conserve energy. I hope guests will understand the thin towels--I will point them out and their purpose in my house manual. Who doesn't love thick towels, they feel luxurious! But hopefully guests will be excited about sustainability. Other tips for loving the earth from rural hosts?

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Cathie19@Lawrene0@Clara116@Christine615@Ann72@Roberta2@Marissa107@Debra300@Yuan100@Till-and-Jutta0@Kemi9@Marj2@Bez8@Paul1255@Alexandra316@Robin4@Inna22@Merrydith0 @John5097 @Melodie-And-John0 @Mary996 

@Samantha-and-Bruce0 

I am rural as well and totally off grid. I'd love to visit with you on the fun things about rural sustainability options! So exciting that you are doing this restoration, and clotheslines rock!

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

Our Airbnb is in Vermont and the infrastructure is not equipped to handle electric cars.  In addition, the electricity is extremely expensive.  I had a guest bring an electric car and plug in without even asking me.  When I found out I asked him to plug in on the off - cheaper - hours which he completely ignored.  It costs me about $40 extra for their stay - in addition to leaving the door open for extended period of time during 10-20 degree weather.  Between those two things I think those particular guests cost me about $100 in utilities - for two nights!

It would be nice if the guests would have to acknowledge that electric cars are or are not allowed.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

That is soooo horrible @Michelle2475 .

What were they thinking??? Did you make any return on that booking? Is there a way to deny their access so they must use a public utility? Such as in a petrol (gas) station? We have these now in the UK and in Supermarket car parks (not yet extensively) but it is a consideration and a definite negative to offering the service. Is there a way of controlling use in order for you to charge for their consumption? This is very helpful for those of us thinking about such provision. Thank you! I am so sorry about the attitude of that particular Guest. Any thoughts on the provision going forward?