[April 29th] The Host Talk - Sustainability

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[April 29th] The Host Talk - Sustainability

Adicionar um título (2).png

Hey everyone,

After the CC social’s success, a few members have shared their desire to have a new type of online get-together where we could have more Hosting focused conversations.

With that in mind, we have decided to give your idea a go! 😊

Apart from the Social meet-up, we now have The Host Talk, a Community Center meeting for sharing and discussing pre-chosen Hosting related topics. 

We plan on giving you guys the chance to vote on your preferred subjects in the future, but to kick things off, this first session will have the theme of Sustainability.🐛

@Anna1403 , our sustainability focused HAB member, will be joining the conversation with fellow hosts who are interested in sharing their experience and coming up with insights for a more sustainable way of Hosting.

The meet-up will take place on Thursday April 29th, 3:30PM (BST).

Timezones:

Thursday April 29th, 9:30AM (Kansas City / Pensacola, Florida)

Thursday April 29th, 10:30AM (New York / Toronto)

Thursday April 29th, 4:30PM  (Spain)

Thursday April 29th, 11:30PM (Seoul)

Friday April 30th, 00:00 AM (Darwin)

Friday April 30th, 00:30 AM (Melbourne) 

If you would like to join, please register before the start time by clicking here.

Not sure how to use Zoom? Check out this CC guide

Have you got any sustainability related questions you would like to to ask fellow hosts? Is there any specific discussion you’d like to have around this theme? 🌿

Let us know below so we can pick a few  suggestions to get our conversation started.

I’m really looking forward to chatting with you 💚

Thanks a lot and I’ll see you there!

Liv

109 Replies 109
Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

I didn't bother surcharging them but did make note of it!  It is somewhat of a rural area and I honestly don't know where the closest charge station is.  I can put a lockbox on the outlet but then I've read of people stringing extension cords out of the window (worse!).  The problem is that the outlet (and said windows) are out of camera range.  The only way I knew is that he parked the car very close to the front door and I saw the cord.

Michelle2475
Level 8

@Mary996  I might be replying twice - I don’t quite have a handle on this board thing 🙄 - I decided it wasn’t worth it but have added it to the house rules. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Michelle2475  Bravo and well done!

@Michelle2475 Our house rues say people may charge cars from a 13amp socket (std wall socket in UK) but they must pay for consumption.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Michelle2475,

Sorry to hear about that experience, but thanks a lot for sharing!

I think that's an interesting topic for us to discuss at the meet-up. Are you joining us tomorrow? 😊

Michelle2475
Level 8

Unfortunately, the Airbnb is a side job of sorts.  I also have another business plus do bookkeeping/customer service for my husband's company.  I'm flat out busy until maybe June!

@Michelle2475 

We've been delighted to be able to charge guests' electric cars on our off-grid system here, when we have abundant sun to charge our industrial batteries. It is best to do this during peak collection hours, rather than at night, it uses the surplus so that instead of shutting off the panels when the battery banks are full, it gets used. That's when we run the well and use electrical appliances the most, to use that surplus. During cool sunny days in winter we are on full charge as well, however during extended rainy and foggy times we can be challenged to keep the battery bank filled enough to run the house without using the generator. 

Valerie27
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

I just found out about this today. I can't attend... We indicate all our sustainability features in our listing: offering bikes for transportation, cob radiant wall (first we know of), reused lumber, wood chip/clay infill wall for sound barrier, earthen plaster tub surround (first we know of) and more. We also offer a chemical and fragrance free environment... this IS about sustainability but addresses social issues such as sensitivity to chemicals/fragrance. In my opinion, these are two different subjects. I'd like to see a filter for sustainability features to allow hosts to wax on about their efforts to build more sustainably AND a filter for the elimination of all fragrances/chemicals with specific requirements for signing on as hosts did with covid. My two cents since I can't participate. Thanks all. Happy hosting.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Fantastic @Valerie27 . I try to avoid chemicals and to offer organic products, soap and shampoo. I had a friend who heated his walls with a rocket stove... was very toasty!

Hi Mary, good to know you are out there offering up options. We have to say no to all chemicals and fragrance regardless of what they are for due to sensitivities. All our products are palm oil free as well (sustainability). A rocket stove ... wow, that's different too!

@Valerie27  I agree that they are 2 different topics. While those who are environmentally aware tend to both try to not waste natural resources, compost, and recycle, as well as not use chemical cleaners and scented products, they aren't the same category. A host can have on-grid electric, water, and not be that concerned about sustainability, yet still maintain a chemical, allergy-free environment, or vice versa. 

And a guest who needs to find an allergy-free listing is not necessarily concerned with whether the host has solar electric or composts.

Exactly @Sarah977 . Wouldn't it be nice if hosts and guests could filter based on our values. Airbnb has tackled accessibility. It would be good to see new filters/categories: sustainability in building/maintenance, "pure rooms", diversity/acceptance and more...

Michelle2475
Level 8

You should see Vermont's recycling program!  It is mandatory to separate not only cans/bottles but also food scraps.  I have marked bins for each type - and there's a poster on the fridge.  Some do and some don't.  My cleaner has to throw away most of what should be recycled because they've thrown in non-recyclables (with food on them).  We try!

@Michelle2475 

We provide several trash cans for guests to use - for trash, food scraps and recyclables which we sort. This is common and ordinary here in California. 

@Michelle2475 

A quick cleaning in the sink can salvage the recyclables. Many people toss recyclable containers with food residue so they need to be washed anyway.