Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Essential Amenities.jpg

Earlier this year, we announced that hosts will soon be required to provide a specific set of amenities in each listing that we consider “essential” to a comfortable stay.

Since then, we heard it was impacting some hosts’ ability to host successfully. So now, we’re giving you the choice.

You can choose whether or not to include the essential amenities in your listing. Having said that, we strongly encourage hosts to include them. Guests come from regions all over the world, and many tell us is that these five items are the minimum that they expect to find in a listing.

The five essential amenities include:

Toilet paper

Soap (for hands and body)

1 towel per guest

1 pillow per guest

Linens for each guest bed

We’re currently exploring the best way to keep guests informed about which amenities are provided in each listing so that accurate expectations are set.

Please, only select the Essentials option if you really are providing those items in the listing. Keeping listings as accurate as possible is a really important part of building trust with guests and setting you up for success as a host.

Listings that have Essentials selected but don’t actually provide the five items listed may be subject to penalties, including removal from Airbnb. 

Read this Help Center article for more details on essential amenities.

Thanks for being a part of the Airbnb community and for everything that you do to provide great guest experiences!

168 Replies 168
Semonia-Diane0
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I travel 80% of the time for work.  I don’t want to have to worry about bringing linen or other essential with me. In our space I feel the same way. I don’t want my guest to worry about anything when they arrive.  

Lisa1289
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Lisa - Nashville, TN

It's wonderful to read all the different options or etiquite for different regions of the world. I live in a city that is just bursting at the seems with people moving here daily and it is now a destination place also. I have a small studio apartment that can sleep mainly 2 people or a third adult person for a extra fee.  I provide everything and more, towels, linens, soap, coffee, creamer and the list goes on. I also have a small kitchenette area with evertything to cook meals. With all that being said my prices reflect the competition for bookings in Nashville area. I go beyond the nomal required amenities to keep up with other AirBnBs. In fact I thought it was normal to provide linens, towels and soap. I also feel somewhat cheated that I have had to lower my cost per night even though I provide much more than the average AirBnB. My logo for my AIRBNB and studio catches a lot of peoples eyeMy logo for my AIRBNB and studio catches a lot of peoples eye

On another note I provide art experiences too becauese I am a full time artist with a studio behind my home and I feel strongly that expereinces should be added to our city. I have had many people take me up on art lessons and that has been the highlight of their trip to make something that they can take home, plus work with in a real art studio and learn somethine they thought they couldnt even do. It surprises people that they too can create.

I have put a lot of extra touches into my space

Lisa headshot close up copy.jpg

Debra193
Level 2
Denver, CO

I am stunned. Essential amenities? When I travel I expect linens and towels and hair dryer and shampoo and soap and lotion and snacks and tv, etc. Basic. Extremely basic.  I cannot imagine traveling as a guest and having to provide my own sheets or towels. Having to pack them in my suitcase and having to wash them prior to leaving on my final day of vacation. 

It just takes so little to provide these essentials to people. It costs me very little to upkeep them and I consider it part of the cleaning service. In fact, it costs very little to make people happy and comfortable while they are traveling. Someone stays for several days...I spend $10 out of my profit to provide them snacks and breakfast bagels...and they are very happy.  

I am afraid that the quality of care from Airbnb hosts will be diminished if you minimize the expectation of what hosting is. 

It seems this is the way of the world....do less and make more money. I am glad that we have personal discretion regarding how we run our own B&B. That said....I believe the quality of Airbnb will suffer if these minimal amenities are allowed to be eliminated as essential.

Really....do you carry around your own sheets and towels while traveling? Paying for an extra suitcase? Just does not compute for me.

Julian-and-Tina0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

I find it amazing  for anyone to lecture longstanding, successful Airbnb’s what they should and shouldn’t provide as “essentials”

Deborah, in Copacabana, my grandparents owned a house in that area years ago! I am lucky enough to have stayed in many beachside medium-term rentals in Australia. Keep up the good work: You know your customers, and what to provide. 

Know it all “one size fits all” and “I can tell you exactly what you should provide” leave it alone ... Deborah’s market is a niche that you simply don’t understand.  

Kathie28
Level 1
Wilson, WY

I am fine with lisiting the amenitites as I provide many extras . We are an outdoor experience with a tipi, campsite and a pod . Since I have a outdoor shower in a tent I provide organic eco friendly shampoo, toothpaste , conditioner and body soap . I do this more for us as it all retuns to the earth. I never knew you didnt supp;y towels and linens which I supply all of the above but have noticed the wear on them and even stains which is sometimes discouraging but will carry on . 

I cannot imagine a host pushing back about providing AirBnB's minimal list of five essentials. Hosts are being paid to be hosts,and in my book that includes these items.  Why does find it too difficult to comply with is beyond my comprehension. Toilet paper – really?   One towel each ? You expect people traveling long distances, perhaps internationally, to have to travel with these items, especially luggage weight and size  limitations?   Moreover the cost of providing these items is not significant. If the host thinks otherwise, then add two dollars a night built into the nightly fee but provide  the amenities.

We provide much more than the five minimum stated, and our guest both greatly appreciate it and give us high marks. 

I would not even consider renting from a host without the  hospitality  to provide these minimum amenities.   If you want to be in the business of making money on your property, then  be responsible for  providing these items.  

We are actually renting from hosts now, and one of my complaints will be the failure to provide toilet paper and soap for a month-long stay.   We  always travel with face tissue and a small supply of soap, but  not toilet paper and  certainly not for a month-long stay where we had to drive half an hour to get those supplies  shortly after a long trip to get there. 

Bill-and-John0
Level 2
Palm Desert, CA

WOW, I am completely surprised that there are areas where the norm is to not have essentials supplied. I would be very upset to not have them provided. We travel all over the world and have always found the essentials to be a requirement.  I can’t imagine that it is fair to guests to have to look to make sure “common essentials” are provided. I would assume those items are provided and I bet if you polled travelers, they would say that they expect them to be there.  Maybe there should be a “luxury” tag on listings that are complete...not to lessen the listings that do not provide but to give those of us that do a chance to stand out.

Julian-and-Tina0
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Some Airbnb’s are set up specifically for week long stays of several family members, who are taking a holiday (that’s how Aussies refer to a vacation) by the ocean, away from their family home.  They travel to To the Airbnb by car, as they live in the suburbs and surrounding regions, and drag along everything, which in some instances will include the family pet. The guest will also pack sheets and their favorite beach and bath towels. This is how it works, and it has worked this way for decades, before the founders of Airbnb were even born.

I am guessing you are not part of this niche market, nor of many others. One size doesn’t fit all. 

Airbnb would be wise to act global, but think local.  

Sequoia0
Level 1
Arcata, CA

People don't often travel w sheets n towels so I guess u have people want save money but on linens can get cheap hotel instead, I have no room for sheets blankets n towels on airplane n travel much, guests just want to be comfy so for all these people who dont provide it but say stocked is a joke airbnb is right to do this new policy, I have a few friend who bring towel everywhere but many who don't, n don't know anyone bring sheets n blankets on a airplane,many guests are from other country and many must of complained to get the new policy, it's for the hosts to make them comfortable or just buy a cheap hotel instead save their money lol

Alex1009
Level 2
Stamford, CT

I think we need to keep things simple.  It all started with air mattresses remember? That's why the name of airbnb.  Stop putting requirements or people will satrt migrating to other places like home away.  We love Airbnb.  Ig a host wants to offer extras, he can list them.  Remember "Keep it Simple"

Eddie48
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

Wow, Can’t provide the bare essentials. Airbnb is trying to make it simple for our guests on what they can expect when they make a reservation. Just Imagine, Your traveling all day and when you arrive you have to make your bed with the linens you brought use the bathroom without soap and toilet paper, no towels to dry your still dirty hands and lay on the bed you made without a pillow. Sign me up, Not! No way will I be staying there.  It’s called hosting not bring your own everything.  Charge more, expense all items used, but to not provide basic essentials is crazy. 

Jenny511
Level 2
Honduras

I would like to suggest to split those 5 essential amenities. In our area we privide linens and towels and pillows, but soap and toilet paper it is not something that is provided, since guests can buy it easily and of any quantity they like. Same goes with kitchen amenities, it is not common to provide oil, salt and pepper since the guests can buy any amount they like. 

Vanessa580
Level 2
Los Alamitos, CA

In my area , in Southern California I provide everything : linens towels shampoos soaps , etc. I even provide homemade snacks and meals ,  some meals for a small fee . Also,  a continental breakfast in the morning.  There is always coffee available kitchen privileges microwave oven and washer and dryer if they stay longer than a week.  It’s just how we roll here!  It’s comfortable and it’s like staying at grandmas house !

Martha256
Level 2
Culpeper, VA

I have to agree with the other commenters who point out that leaving it up to guests to bring their own linens is an invitation to bedbugs, pet hair, or even people who will sleep with no sheets.   

If you want to be a host, then be a gracious host and provide the basics and don't complain about it.   No one is forcing you to rent your place out.     I would never want to arrive at my destination and find out that I had to then go buy toilet paper, or towels, or bedsheets.    Especially if I was flying and couldn't bring these things with me.   

It is important to us that our guests arrive and feel welcome and valued.   That they know that we planned for their stay with all the things that will make them comfortable.   We should be better than a hotel, not substandard.   

I don't understand why people are complaining about providing toilet paper for the entire stay.   If I have a guest staying longer, or more people staying, then I am collecting a larger payment for their stay.    Toilet paper is just included in that cost that they are paying.      I have had guests stay for longer than a month, and I just let them know that can come in once a week to change the sheets, towels, restock the consumables, etc.    

If you are in a niche market where these things are not expected, then I would hope that you would make it very clear to people from out of your area that you are not providing the basics.   

And to the person who commented about having to buy linen when they provided cotton sheets, please understand that "linens" is a common term referring to bedding, towels, etc., not the fiber content of the these things.   Your cotton sheets are fine.

Poppy14
Level 2
Palisade, CO

Quite interesting how the views and expectations vary with region and the various parts of the world.  Appears there is no one right way for all, and to expect world wide conformity is unrealistic.  How about ABNB has on the hosts listing, a form that encompases all services/products provided,  for the host to post with their listing.   That way all guests will know what is or is not provided.  They can plan accordingly.  There is also no right/wrong tag for the host.  It is just fact.  Seems strange to me that someone traveling would bring their own linens.  But that is me.  We get to celebrate the fact that our guests are all human with different cultures and norms.  Lets honor that, and work together to provide these great experiences  for all of us, in the best possible way.  It will also give the host and guest the opportunity to say, I need you to provide "xyz" without any misunderstanding.  It would also provide the guest the opportunity to truly made the best decision as where to stay, based upon their needs.  

I do not like the idea of having a "basic" list of items provided.  That somehow makes a judgement in areas where things are not provided.  Unless ABNB chooses to dictate what will be provided worldwide.